Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1426 Ashur, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    That's how I always presumed it was going to go, alas I was wrong there as Mourinho, if reports are to be believed, has complete support from the Glazers and Woodward. And furthermore, there are also rumors that Mourinho addressed the players, staff and so on before they went their separate ways after the FAC final and claimed that no one will be forced out, but anyone who is not happy (due to something as simple as PT or otherwise), they'll be free to go. But for anyone who will choose to stay, he said something to the effect of: " You're in or you're out next season and we do things my way"
    Which tbh I have no problems with (he's the boss and there can't be any ambiguity as to who it is). But ultimately, I also believe that while it can be argued that Pogba's performance level has not been what it should have been because of Mourinho, the fact is also, the way I see it at least, he hasn't done enough to be in a position to decide the fate of anyone. A guy like Magic famously had Paul Westhead fired, precisely because he was THE guy with the Lakers and they couldn't do without him (and everyone knew it). In 2yrs so far with United, Pogba has not raised himself to that level. And that's what I want to change starting this coming season.
    And while I'm perfectly fine with Mourinho asserting his authority, I really hope, once again, that he'll do his part to change and improve as a footballer manager. But the bottom line also is that Pogs needs to step it up big time himself.

barroldinho repped this.
  2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree he has to step up.

I guess I just don't see Mourinho as being here long term or being the guy to take us forward.

In a way (and this isn't my position with managers/coaches usually), I'm almost thinking the same about Mou as you're saying about Pogba. I don't think the guy's performances have warranted trusting him with an asset of Pogba's talent and potential.

It sounds crazy saying that about any manager, let alone one with his record, but that's my God's honest gut feeling.

topnoevili and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily disagree with any of that but as previously mentioned though as long as Woodward openly backs Mourinho, his position is well secured.
    Will it change this coming season, especially if things go the same way? We can only hope so.

barroldinho repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Suggesting 15+15 is the bare minimum for a player you expect to track runners into the box and win headers and play with tempo and control the middle just about perfectly codifies what the ******** you want from Pogba. You want Makelampardscholiggs.

Even if you gave a free role to Pogba, EXPECTING 15+15 from him in this team with our tactics is stupid. He can get there, but we have to play attacking football.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I just want more consistency. ******** his defensive game. One game he’s the best player in the world, 15 minutes of a game he’s unplayable, and then he goes missing a lot.

Part of your problem, mtkillamanjohno, is that you excuse that a lot. Whether it’s the players around him, the system, or Mourinho you excuse his inconsistencies too much. He’s not getting any younger.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been consistently very clear of my expectations, not just for Pogba going into next season, but also about our team performance and style of play in general as well.
    It does stand to reason that one goes hand in hand with the other, but the bottom line remains, as I've frequently said as well, that as Pogs goes, so does our team. Coincidence or not (I don't believe it is personally), when Pogba is on form and looks interested and in form, more often than not, the whole team looks good.
    Pogba is 25yrs old now (the age CMs really start to fully mature and come into their own as football players), has been with the club for 2 full seasons, acts like a superstar: it's not too much to ask that he consistently plays and produces numbers like one as well. That just comes with the territory.
    And hoping for a 15/15 season from him is really not asking that much in my opinion. This past season, he reached double figures in assists in his sleep, having missed a big chunk of the season. And as far as his scoring output goes, again in a season where injuries played a part (during his first one with the club) it was one remembered for his misfortune, having hit the posts or the crossbar close to 10x as well (not to mention all the potential assists having gone by the wayside because of poor finishing from his teammates).
    And at the end of the day, it's a goal to reach, nothing more. If he's not challenged or pushed, how can he really expect to get better? SAF notoriously made similar demands of Ronaldo from 2005 on. Demands that would increase from year to year and by his own admission were a big reason for his success and improvement as a player and goalscoring rate becoming what it is.
    Other factors, such as Mourinho playing in a more positive fashion and staying healthy can only help, but as previously stated, he needs to step it up himself.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You're either trolling or stupid as ********.

8. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Pogba is his new Carrick who replaced Ruud. He always has one whom he is blind unto.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaya Toure would love to play with Pogba, so he could teach him.

www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3507825/yaya-toure-talks-up-manchester-united-move-wants-to-teach-paul-pogba?src=com

Fully recognizing that it's nowhere near a practical/feasible move at this juncture for many reasons. But the idea that Toure could serve as a mentor of sorts to Pogba, and help him become the complete midfielder we've always hoped him to be eventually, would be very enticing.
    Don't doubt Pogba can get there by himself (although hopefully, Carrick can help in some facets), but having someone who's been there before to guide you, is rarely a bad thing.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can only learn if you recognize your weaknesses first.

11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    he's incapable of controlling the middle and unwilling to track runners. i have completely given up on the idea of pogba bossing games, and i would happily settle for 15/15.

but can he even do that? the man has never cracked 10 league goals, ever. this wc and next season are make or break for him as far as his superstar status goes.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a mentality point of view, I've touched on this before, I'm not entirely convinced by this French team. And it's why I can't have them on par with Brazil, Germany or even Spain.
    Talent wise though, they're right with those countries. That being said, if those comments from the Danish coach can't motivate the French and Pogba particularly to completely obliterate them when they face each other, it will not be just surprising, but you'll really have to question the mettle of the French national team after being called out clear that way.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not just the players but also the coach.

Deschamps, IMHO, has never gotten the best from this team. Even in their best times.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close really. Which for me is, once again kind of a surprise, considering how intelligent and astute tactically he was as a player. I fully expect that his time will be up after this WC.
    Would love to see what Zidane could do with this group.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1443 Ashur, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    France needs one bad. Kos is done, Lloris is a team leader (and the captain) but they need one on the pitch. Pogba and Varane look to be the clear candidates for me. We'll see if they're up for the task.
    From United's perspective as well, we hope and need Pogs to step it up in that department as well. Hopefully, he can start taking real steps in that direction at the WC.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lloris is captain of the France national team?

Ashur, by any chance do you recall our debate over whether Rooney should wear the armband (3-4 years ago I suppose) where you argued that a keeper should never be made captain?

You argued for making Rooney captain. How did that work out?

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his performance was very ordinary, but as stated yesterday this was a meaningless match where Pogba (and France) were hardly pushed or tested really. And that's how he appeared to approach it.
    There were some really good performances and Pavard was one of the standouts, especially since I hardly knew the guy. Hernandez at LB was good as well. If what we saw yesterday was the norm for Pavard, I wouldn't mind us going after him.

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They happened to show the Everton Man U game from Jan 2018 (ie pre-Sanchez) on MUtv today.

Watching Pogs was like watching a different player to who we saw post-Sanchez, particularly with regard to energy and mobility (he got MotM).

Deschamps said today Pogs will need to raise his game and seeing this performance from just a few months back is a reminder that there is a complete player there if he can break the funk.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just the Nice crowd who turned on Pogs. 73% of people recently polled in France want him out of the starting lineup.

www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2779352-france-football-poll-shows-73-of-france-fans-want-paul-pogba-dropped-from-xi

That's pretty damning but at the same time, the French fans are probably frustrated because of his potential. He should running the show in this French team. Instead, he's a passenger. And the game vs Italy was just a friendly, but still.
    Everyone knows what he can do and how just devastating he can be. The 2nd half of the Manchester Derby where he literally took the age by the scruff of the neck and took over, is proof of that.
    Deschamps will stick with him to start the tournament (as he should) but his rope is sure to be shorter, especially if the results (along his performances) don't measure up. The big players usually respond emphatically to criticism. Let's hope he answers in kind here as well...