Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spot on, Ashur. I know it bugs you to no end when I agree with you, but you've stated your case succinctly and convincingly.

Freeing Pogba really is easy and I would argue necessary, but why Jose resists making that slight tactical change boggles the mind. We're at serious risk of not qualifying for the CL, although I'm confident we will eek it out in Stockholm, but it would be despite and not because of Jose's misuse of Pogba and over-reliance on Fellaini.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I was referring to pace on the transition. Few teams just park the bus for 90 minutes. It is crucial on the occasions they do open up that you exploit it.

Gilma1990 and Ashur repped this.
  3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Uh? You're the poster who keeps on insisting we can use Pogba as part of a '2' next year in a 4231 double pivot?

That's the anti thesis of freeing him up.

4. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We just all have to accept that we brought a good all round midfielder that will have moments of magic mixed with moments of frustration. He's a very good player who brings something to the team as a whole, but if we get back to the top it wont be because he is the MAIN man. He will never be the best player in the world, just a very decent cog enabling the true elites should we get them. Accept him for what he is...and we can move forward.

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hereby demand proof of your grade school diploma.

What I insist on is that we bring in two forwards this summer and that we use Fellaini as a squad man, not a regular starter. How you interpret that as he insisting that we use "Pogba as part of a 2" can only be explained by your insidious ignorance. In fact, I've consistently insisted that Mourinho's 4231 underutilizes Pogba's strength and that we should go to 433 (Pogba left, Herrera right, Carrick in the middle). I've consistently insisted that this summer we look for a "Carrick replacement" -- and even this morning I've opined that TFM might (you might want to check the dictionary definition of the word "might" before you feign new outrage) be Carrick's replacement, if given a chance to do so. I've stated that Pogba would be better utilized in a 433 but that because we've gone to 4231 (far too often IMHO) Pogba has had problems this season utilizing his full set of tools, but that in no way has he been completely hobbled because of this -- he's actually a better season than critics would have you believe. Yet you interpret that as me "insisting that we can use Pogba as part of a 2 next year in a 4231", implying that for me that would be the ideal formation to maximize Pogba's contribution next season. What I argued the other day (v Teso)is that we shouldn't build the squad around Pogba to the detriment of the squad that we have -- THAT is the point. To get the most out of the squad we could -- and I think should -- bring in two forwards that would make a 433 work to its full effect and play Pogba left in midfield. But if the squad that we have next summer lends itself to actually making a 4231 work the way it should (and arguably it does work now but is only marred by horror finishing by, first, Rooney, and then Martial, Rashford, Mata, Miki and Lingard) we "can" Pogba play in the back two in a 4231.

Amigo, you have disqualified yourself from rational dialogue. Go back to your comic books.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #731 Ashur, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Precisely, just another spoke on the wheel. That's exactly what we should expect from Pogs in the long term. No more, no less! Indeed Karl.
    The levity is well appreciated among some just losing their minds... :sneaky:

7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I have to come into another thread with essays on the merits of 433 over 4231...rehashed over and over...while people say 'you dont understand what I said'...then I will.....

...do nothing..because I haven't read any of it anyway.

Chaz Striker and Ashur repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    ^^^

When one types so much (and most of it being bullshit) one usually forget some of the things he has said.

@JamesA did he ever get around to answering your question?

cr7torossi repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a lot of words to not even address my question.

You've advocated buying 2 forwards, notably Griezman and Mbappe. Even if that came at the expense of other players.

So, my question, how does that free up Pogba? That was Ashur's point which you agreed with.

Further to this, you still haven't addressed my other question from a few days ago. Can you propose a formation with our squad that both free's up Pogba to play to his strengths and allows us to accommodate Griezman who you want here so badly?

You're full of contradictions and lots of words without ever addressing other posters questions like myself, @benni... Or @Teso Dos Bichos to name a few.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No even close to be honest.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it's a constant theme. i'm not sure why you guys even bother at this point

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I did. But he continues to imputing meaning where that meaning clearly does not exist. The man, or child in this case, lacks basic reading comprehension skills.

Fortunately, he offers nothing of consequence here to respond to so that, apart from his continued harassment of me, I hardly notice his existence.

13. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can sense hostility from both sides. I am willing to be the peacemaker in this argument..but both sides have to do exactly as I say.

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

MizzouMUFC, Karloski and Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    And you're barely here, so you know it's even worse than you say.

Teso Dos Bichos repped this.
  16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

Gilma1990 repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned elsewhere, a solid season with United would have simply been spectacular with just a little more luck and consistent proper utilization. Under the circumstances, he really hasn't done bad at all.
    With a full summer's rest, a few new teammates, really big things can be expected of him next term.

JC7rox repped this.
  18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno repped this.
  19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Even a short 2 minute video shows most of our goals, Pogba is involved. Wether directly assist or indirect.

You can also relive a small fraction of Ibra's big misses in that same video.

for me Pogba is 2nd behind Herrera for POTY.

Futbol_Head, United 16 and Chaz Striker repped this.
  20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Followed by valencia

benni... repped this.
  21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That video will make you sad/angry depending on the person for the chances we have missed. The sh*t crowd who keep laughing at us over him won't be doing that if we had converted those.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yes they would.

people incorrectly associate a fee of that size with a free scoring attacker. they just look at the basic goals scored and sometimes assists. people can criticise the ~£90m on Pogba but i'd take that any day over the £90m worth of crap to average players (Xhaka, Mustafi, Pérez etc) Arsenal acquired this past summer

23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with that, Ashur, but I'd frame it in a slightly different context. Pogba has done a lot of the little things brilliantly but he's had very few moments, moments that changed the course of a game.

Over the course of 90 minutes Pogba will show us astonishing skills, some really outstanding stuff that you might go ooh-aah over but doesn't amount to much. But outstanding stuff that released a striker or resulted in a key goal? Not that often, actually. Some of that is undoubtedly bad luck, but some of that is a lack of attention to the needs of the squad in the match as opposed to his need to display astonishing skills. He will mature and we'll see more impact and less flash from him next season.

And hopefully better hairdos.