Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    That might explain passing percentage.

Dispossession is when he is caught dribbling.

Why is he caught dribbling so often? Why aren't our other midfielders caught in possession that much?

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So you're argument against him is that a forward, who plays much closer to the oppositions goal, has the same amount of chance created as him? Rashford should have way more chances created as that and goalscoring are his only real tasks on the field. Pogba is asked to do much more.

And Pogba would have higher assist numbers if Rashford didnt miss every single 1v1 on the goalie this season. Rash's conversion rate is abysmal.

I'm fine with ragging on Pogba for his effort, but some of the stuff you try to use against him is laughable which is why everyone is calling you out on it.

girrdib repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of the times he is caught dribbling because nobody is showing for the ball. He's getting pressed and double-teamed, Matic and whoever is playing the 8 are standing still, Rashford runs staright forward, our LW doesnt move, and our RW is usually too central. He gets caught dribbling often because he doesnt have any outlets. We are the most static team in the league. Theres a reason why he doesnt get caught on the ball a lot for France.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That post doesn't have a single center midfielder in it. So how is that fair?

Our other center mids CANT dribble. They wouldnt even try to beat mild pressure (maybe Herrera would).

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  5. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    LMAO.

Everybody stands still when Pogba has the ball, so he gets caught in possession...

But when everyone else has the ball, they start moving and getting open? Or are you saying that Pogba moves so much more than everyone else on our team that he's constantly open, so his teammates don't have to give the ball up?

And I'm the idiot. Oof, mate.

And Rashford's finishing was poor this past season, but his movement is better than any other No. 9 in the world. There's a reason why Barcelona want him.

Shaw almost had the same cumulative xA that Pogba had..

I'm okay being the lone voice on an opinion. It won't be the first time this board has thought me lesser for an opinion that turned out right. It won't be the last. Bring on 19/20, because I'm done discussing a player who is unimportant to our long term success.

Sarcasm Bot repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So much to unpack....

First off, nobody in our team ever moves. We're static as hell all of the time. Pogba is the creative outlet on the team and everyone knows it. Hes the first guy the defense and our other CMs look to get the ball. Does he try to do too much sometimes? Sure, but thats because nobody else will. Team don't double team guys like Herrera and Matic because they dont have to. And those guys arent dispossessed as much because there interested in keeping possession more than creating chances. How are you not getting this? Pogba chooses to try and get through the press to create something whereas our other players choose to play it safe and pass backwards repeatedly.

Also, Pogba led our team in chances created, key passes, and dribbles per 90 along with about every other offensive category.

But what I really want to touch on is where you say that you've been the lone voice before and been right. Id love to hear more about this. When was that exactly and what was your stance?

Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2582 Ashur, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    You've never been the 'lone voice' when it comes to Pogba and in the end it's got absolutely nothing to do with anything. Can easily name 2 or 3 others here who feel the same way you do. Your problem is that you seem so hellbent in trying to proving your argument, you go way over the top, ultimately rendering it stupid and devoid of any real value or credibility.
    Of all the teams Pogba has played in be it a club or international level, the United team he's been on for the past 3 (especially last 2) seasons is the one he's been the least successful in. There's a reason for it, despite the fact he's enjoyed, at least statistically his most fruitful one this term.
    You or anyone else don't like Pogba as a player and/or person and that's fine (we all have our favorites and whatnot), but to try and pushing a narrative that is clearly biased and agenda driven, is far from being the best look when trying to prove your point. It obviously goes both ways as well.. Pogba obviously has his flaws as a player and has room for improvement in some areas, but he's not the crap player you so desperately try to convince everyone he is neither.
    That is why I can confidently state that your stance re him will never stick or be validated.

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Pogba is also the most fouled player on our team.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Remember when @incighte said Pogba was a "mobile bruiser"?

He's obviously got a keen eye for Pogba's game.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Also his description of Marchisio and Vidals game.

Father Ted and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He also said Jones would be an elite CB.

benni... repped this.
  12. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    "Pogba is also a 'mobile bruiser' albeit the difference is that fellaini has to try to be physical, Pogba just is physical"

0/10. Take your shit WUMMING somewhere else, you shit Teso.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol you literally just proved that you said it.

benni... repped this.
  14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im more curious... what is the context ur comparing Fellaini and Pogba?

15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Okay, mate. Everyone reading what I said understands exactly what I meant.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is that why everyone at the time was making fun of you for saying it?

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Can i get a link?

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On my phone right now. Search it.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Every discussion forum needs a poster like Incighte.. :D

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    to be fair Fred tried to as well but he was largely unsuccessful. particularly in the first part of the season

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve making their move in regards to Pogba?

Apparently, they are trying to put up Cancelo as part of the deal, which is odd considering the talks regarding Wan-Bissaka are said to be at an advanced stage, if the rumors are true.
    Plus, as previously mentioned, I would love to know why Juve are ready to ditch him so quickly, if he's supposed to be so good. It makes little to no sense

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cancelo plus 100 mil. Done deal.

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As a generality, if one of your spikes is dribbling, then you will be "caught in possession" or disposed more because you will be attempting take ons and offensive carries.

I guess a different question is whether Pogba causes too many dangerous turnovers - but I think you'd have to look through the individual cases to sort between him losing the ball in a takeon or when he is attempting an offensive carry to break the defence, vs him dwelling on the ball and getting turned over

24. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What exactly does the symbol xA stand for?

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    expected assist

the trouble with the traditional assist figure is that if your team has a bad run of form in terms of conversion, your assist numbers suffer

or conversely if a striker is hot you get a run of assists when perhaps you might not expect so many from the chances you created

jnielsen repped this.