Ignore list behavior is too aggressive

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Craig P, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As has already been noted (here) , quotes of ignored posts are culled, which can be confusing but at least makes some sense, sometimes (though I often enjoy reading deconstructions of posts I ignore).

More to the point, unlike with the prior forum software, ignored users essentially disappear. It's one thing when that leaves a hole in a thread. It's another when it disappears an entire thread which has content that I'm interested in reading.

Please at least offer the option to make ignore list behavior less aggressive. I would like to at least have the option of:
    • Being able to read threads started by ignored posters
    • Having stubs for posts by ignored users allowing viewing for the (admittedly rare) occasions when I want to read a post they made, as vBulletin allows.
    • Displaying quotes of ignored posts
    Thanks!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The thread disappearance effect started recently, right? I would agree that that's taking it a bit far. Annoying people sometimes start good threads.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we need to at least see that an ignored person posted and have the option to view the post.

It's just too confusing the way it is.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. A person that is very argumentative and so has been ignored by a few people started up a rather important thread on the Revs boards today about Shalrie Joseph being traded. And quite a few people couldn't even see the thread, causing duplicate threads, or questions in other threads about the topic.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SJ trade thread that Monty refers to is a good example of the disappearing thread trick. After catching sight of 6 or 7 posts to the NAS list I went to the Rev forum to get details and found --- nothing.

Threads started by ignored posters should appear in the forum list. I like the latest post "Ignored User" indication. Why can't the thread be listed as such, too?

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm surprised the NAS list is still around.

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More entertaining than twitter sometimes. :)

8. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    THIS...

Having the post not viewable makes the thread a mess becaue it looks like people are responding to whoever posted before the ignored user. I've taken to just recognizing the avatar as one of the people I'd lke to ignore and try to ignore the stupidity following. Unfortunately people change avatars and adjustments have to be made. How about the option of switching avatars of people you're ignoring for something like "Moran speaking" :D

Thezzaruz and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    At first I agreed with this because it seemed to make following the threads difficult. I've changed my mind though because having an indication each time an ignored person posts makes it too likely that you will view the post.

That's not really worth the risk.

Barbara repped this.
  10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Any news on this whether at least threads started by an ignored user would be visible?

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    This. I much rather not even know they posted.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The old way was better. Any chance of going back? I don't use the ig list very often, but I can see that it's about time to start.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anything being done about this? I've got two posters who need ignoring but I miss other stuff by putting them on the list. Between Michael Vick's new dog and Todd Akin's rape fetish, there's a lot of foolishness going on that I could avoid if this list was better designed.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What would make a lot of sense is to be able to start threads (after reaching a certain number of posts, perhaps) and specify who can not post in them.

15. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yep, would like to see the "you are ignoring posts by this member" thing every time they post, instead of it being invisible.

ElasticNorseman and Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd want my ignore list advertised and your idea would seem like a slippery slope.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That wouldn't be necessary- all that would happen is, a poster you didn't want screwing up a thread would see a message in the thread telling him that he wasn't permitted to post there. No other poster would see this message. It wouldn't necessarily mirror your ignore list, and it wouldn't apply to every thread you start- it would simply be an option for all of them.

A slippery slope to...? Please explain.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't Auriaprottu's idea lead to somebody starting a duplicate topic because they were banned by the topic starter from posting in the original topic but still have something to say that doesn't violate any forum rules? At the very least, nobody should be banned from a general Pregame, Play-By-Play, or Postgame topic.

19. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of it as a "You have been ignored by ______ and therefore cannot reply to this thread." That could just piss the other guy off and make him realize that he's on your list and then who knows what could happen.

EvanJ has a good idea. No one should be banned from game-related threads.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It's not the OP's business to decide who can and can't participate in an open forum discussion.

IIRC there is a plugin for XenForo that lets a moderator ban somebody from a specific thread if they are causing a problem.

21. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is any movement likely on this issue? Seems like we should at least be able to know that a thread exists, even if we think the thread starter is generally about as astute as a bowl of lime Jello.

Chesco United repped this.
  22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Pretty sure it tells you down the bottom of the page if there are hidden threads/posts by someone on your ignore list.

23. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well how about that. With all the drab gray grayness on the screen, I hadn't noticed that button before.

Thanks!

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Where?

So, have things change regarding the ignore list, but not globally? On a thread in one forum I'm seeing a post by an ignored member, with their post replaced with "You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content."

In a thread on a different forum, the ignored user's posts have been disappeared, and if anyone has quoted them, the quote also has been disappeared.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the last post on every page, it says something like "show ignored content" in the lower right.

If it is the last post in a thread, you will see the message. If that is not the last post, you will not see the message and the post will disappear.