Ifab meeting

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Mar 2, 2019.

1. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't get the ifab site to work. Can someone post the law text changes?

3. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    #3 MJ91, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    (deleted)

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about a media Interpretation of the new laws. I want to see the actual text to figure out how they changed the handling law. But the ifab site isn't working at.

5. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    it's slow but somewhat functioning for me. The "media interpretation" (deleted above) was all there is right now on the IFAB website.

they haven't posted the specific language of the law changes yet.

6. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    On the topic of defining handball, a decision was taken by The IFAB to provide a more precise and detailed definition for what constitutes handball, in particular with regard to the occasions when a non-deliberate/accidental handball will be penalised. For example a goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed.

Following experiments in different parts of the world, the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free kicks in the penalty area.

Additional approved Law changes included: measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive ‘wall’, changing the dropped ball procedure, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

Following the historic decision taken a year ago at the 132nd IFAB AGM to approve the use of VARs, the FIFA President Gianni Infantino in unity with fellow members of The IFAB expressed their satisfaction with the significant impact and success VAR has had. Partly as a result of its success in the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ in Russia, VAR is now an accepted part of football and has brought greater fairness to the game without any significant interruption with reviews on average taking just over a minute once every three games. The members were also updated on the current worldwide use of VARs and The IFAB/FIFA approval process which all competitions wishing to use VARs must complete and it was agreed that FIFA, together with The IFAB, will continue to drive and assist the global implementation of VAR.

Plans were announced for a comprehensive digitalisation programme to support FIFA and The IFAB in the process of education of Refereeing and the Laws of the Game as well as throughout the football community. As part of The IFAB’s play fair! initiative the AGM also agreed to continue to explore ways in which the Laws of the Game can be used to improve on-field behaviour and, now that the major Law revision period is drawing to a close, increase football and the wider public’s understanding and appreciation of the Laws of the Game and the role of the referee.

7. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    good point mj, there is no specific slides,etc, but at least we know what is on the way

8. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    #8 MJ91, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Given the way their site is slugging along and timing out, I'd say much of the soccer world is looking too!

Edit: In 2018, I don't think they published the actual/official wording changes until the end of May, but could be wrong on that.

9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I thought they don't update the site until the new laws go into affect. Usually around July when the rest of the leagues in the world are on summer break.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did this "attackers must be 1 meter from defenders in the wall" thing come from? I don't remember seeing any sign that something like this was up for debate.

11. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Was that applied on England's equalizer from the IFK on USA's passback offense? Didn't see it in the list of three changes they were going to pilot as SheBelieves.

Not sure about 1 meter specifically, but something was hinted at in the 22-nov-2018 IFAB news release...

http://www.theifab.com/news/ifabs-1...-fine-tuning-laws-for-the-benefit-of-the-game

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, apparently we need to become familiar with the how to spell silhouette as it will appear in the LOTG.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Jeopardy!, now this... The French language will always be my greatest enemy.

14. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea. Nothing IFAB has released shows that change was made. Now something that could be adopted in the coming years and maybe that's what they're referencing

16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or do the proposed and rumored changes this year seem to be the least thought out and most knee jerked changes in recent memory.

Baka_Shinpan, Kit and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they would release the text changes so we knew what the actual changes are...

18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly hope they take all the time they need. Some of these proposed changes are going to need to be very carefully worded.

Lest we end up with another debate on what “directly” means when scoring from a dropped ball.

SCV-Ref repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally close to nothing in that article seems right. Even the substitution thing is wrong as it says players will be "permitted" to leave at the nearest boundary rather than mandated to do so.

Geko and MJ91 repped this.
  20. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Let’s be clear ... what does the GAME need clarified in 2019? I mean as whole. The answer to that question is NOT where are substitutes leaving the field.

In my humble opinion, we need clarity on handling.

1. What is handling, and what isn’t? We have too many potential considerations, from splintered sources, that, when taken in concert, are hard to reconcile.

I think we’re taking a first step with the change regarding goals scored w/ hand, but we need something more all-encompassing.

cinepro repped this.
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think the silhouette concept is trying to do something more encompassing, but I'm dubious that it's going to accomplish much.

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Dawns a full suit of body armor before posting*

Can we get a clarification on the backpass once and for all? Does the kicker have to intend for the ball to go to the keeper and only to the keeper?

cinepro repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I agree with you that we could use clarity on this. But I wouldn't put it on my top list of concerns, as in my experience it is rarely a problem in real games.

I thought the call in the women's US-England game was spot on. The ball was deliberately played back with no indication it wasn't going where it was intended. The GK chose to pick it up. IFK. GK didn't like it, but I thought that was pretty clear.

kolabear and MJ91 repped this.
  24. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh don’t get me wrong, I wouldnt put it at the top of the list but it can’t be denied that it is a hotly debated topic and a call that almost always gets people talking when it is made.

There are referees out there that wouldn’t be willfully no to make this call even if they had an affidavit from the players saying they intended to violate the law.

Oh well, BigSoccer gets more traffic through the debates.

25. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    But when it is a problem, it can be a big problem. First time I ever dismissed a coach it was because of a backpass call.