If you're in favor of an European Super League...

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by LoveModernFootball, Sep 6, 2013.

1. LoveModernFootball

LoveModernFootball New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  3. Dillon

Dillon New Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I am torn on this issue. On one hand, it would be so awesome to see clubs like Manchester United, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus play against each other on a weekly basis if they were all in one league. But on the other hand, the rareness of these matches is what makes them so special. All of the hype that is surrounded by 'Liverpool vs. Manchester United' matches wouldn't be as much if clubs like those played each other every week. So I'm torn on this subject.

4. Eatdolphins

Eatdolphins New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Club:
    Rangers
    It's not for me. A lot of history would be lost breaking up national leagues. Think of all the old rivalries and traditions built up over decades or more than a century in some cases that would be lost. The game needs to hang on to these things that have kept fans going for generations.

5. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the need.

I bet it'd be a fun organizational job to figure out promotion/relegation.

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was talked about a lot in the mid 90's but with the rise of the Champions league there really isn't a need.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Case closed.

8. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason Champions League nights are seen as special by the fans: they don't happen that often.

The other issue is this: would such a Euro League have relegation? Would the giants of Europe join a league that they would be far more likely to risk relegation than in their domestic leagues? If no relegation, then would the competition be seen to have the same integrity?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only awesome because those clubs are winners. If they're in a European league, they can't all be winners. By definition, half of them will be in the bottom half of the table. When Arsenal versus Dortmund is a battle for 12th place, it won't be very awesome.

10. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would also be less awesome when these giant clubs get relegated from this Super League.