If your National Team rejected you...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GoHawks4, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Re: oh yeah

I hear Bishop Brennan is also a keen player, and that he often scores. He'd be up front, with Father Jack Hackett being the midfield 'enforcer', Father Ted Crilly as a slippery, tricky winger and Father Dougal Maguire as the corner flag guard :D.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Damned Bhutanese troll...!!!

3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    If your skill level is between Donovan and Agoos, maybe you should look for a Bhutanese grandmother...:)

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Re: Tonga! Tonga! Tonga!

I lived in NZ in the late 60’s and went to Tonga to play a club game there. Their team played in bare feet..! But their feet where like rhino hide.
    They were still playing “10 men chase the ball” sort of like a rugby ruck. But a great bunch of “big” guys.

5. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I would never play for anyone other than the U.S. Ever.

Traitors.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: oh yeah

Maybe someone could add the obvious joke about why Jesus wouldn't be a goalkeeper at this point.

Not quite the same thing but I once managed Ireland in CM3 and was really pleased when "we" beat England.

7. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    speaking of Champ man is anyone else pissed off that it isnt coming out till february.
    The season will be nearly finished by then.

8. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    There was a time that I considered playing for Bermuda, where my father was born.

9. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest, I've seriously considered trying to find a job in the US Virgin Islands and turning out for their national team. I'm a former college player and it's only a country of 40,000 people.

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hmmm, the choices if the USA rejected me!. My dad's from Indonesia, my mom's from the Netherlands, my wife is from Wales, and I have a work permit/permanent residency status with Great Britain. If I lived there 10 more months, I'd be a British citizen and play for England!

I'd choose Montserrat because I have no self esteem.

11. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    I'll do it. Put Jesus as keeper so we can hear the announcers call: "A shot, and Jesus saves!"

Where to put the Pope, then? My moderate and liberal Catholic friends would put him at right wing. My conservative Catholic friends would have him as central defender (as in, defender of the faith).

I'll stop the bad jokes now.

US Virgin Islands only has 40,000? Find me a job down there, too. What other countries are out there with small populations?

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friends and I have kicked the thought around of having a go at American Samoa or Guam. I'm not sure Guam has a team, but I know American Samoa does. While they aren't states, they technically are a part of the US, so it wouldn't really be playing for someone else.

13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's open a Carribbean style restaurant with some good old Iowa beef (best in the world) and turn out of the national team :D

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd only play for a country I like...

But that's pretty much all of them. Guyana? Belize? Tonga? Hell yeah, I'll even pay my way (hopefully the Tonganese can give me a good rate on a beachside bungalow).

How cool would it be to truthfully say you were an internationally capped player?

15. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Guam does have a team. A friend of mine, who married a girl from Guam, was capped by them back in the early 80's.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Re: Re: oh yeah

You forgot that Father Dick Burns would be a sub. And of course Mrs. Doyle would have the tea ready at half time. Ah, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

17. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just don't let the Vatican team have any ball boys :D (no pun intended)

18. zizkov do toho

zizkov do toho New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oulu,Finland
    Though I've received numerous offers from small nations (couldn't actually find them on any maps- hmm), I'm saving myself for the US.

Oh, I'm a 34-year-old keeper. What do you think my chances are?

19. BennyDee19

BennyDee19 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Ohio
    The point of playing in international levels are to play for something in your heritage. So if you get snuffed from your home country go to one in your heritage.

20. FIFA_King

FIFA_King New Member

Oct 27, 2002
    UK
    I would consider playing for a team where some of my Ancestors are from. That means I'd have a choise of at least Scotland and France! I know who I'd choose. ;)

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, wrong joke. The one I was thinking of also works for Dracula. It's still rubbish though.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: If your National Team rejected you...

Jesus can't play goalie because crosses make him nervous?

Somebody has to do the dirty work around here. :D

23. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    i actually thought about that too

24. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: oh yeah

The problem is there might be a Keane/McCarthy-esque hostility between Ted and Burns :D. I think that Italian guy would be a good striker, and Father Fitzpatrick would be good on the right wing, although all his German war memorabilia may get in the way in the dressing room. Father Larry Duff may be useful, if only he wasn't always getting himself injured.

25. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

I would definetely go and play for my country's rival... or even better, I would get a place doing something else in my country's team and be a spy or food poison the whole team minutes before and important game.

Not that I like revenge ;)