If your National Team rejected you...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GoHawks4, Oct 27, 2002.

1. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say you got rejected by your national team and was told that you would never play for them, would you play for another country?

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I was...and it cost them. They haven't won since...:D

3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're from Monserrat? (sp?)

4. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

I'm assuming that I would have no chance whatsoever of playing for the US, that every single position I could possibly play is already filled by a world class guy younger than I am. If I had a shot at putting on the red, white, and blue, I wouldn't give up.

For personal reasons, I would never play for Germany, where all of my ancestors are from. Never.

I think I'd say yes to any reasonable offer. If Bhutan offered me airfare and a jersey, I'd be on the next plane over.

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I mean like a fight with the coach or something. I would play for Poland, Italy, Ireland and Germany because my ancestors are from there, and I would play for Japan just because.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    nah i wouldnt play for ingerlund because i want sven to sweat a little with the left side conundrum then beg me so i can tell him, "listen mate, i'm following in the footsteps of my idol andrew cole and i'm retiring from international football."

but really i wouldnt play for another country, although me nans from nigeria and i'd relish the chance to play for a solid and stable FA that respects its players and treats them right, you hear that English FA and Adam Crozier. you couldnt measure up to the nigerian FA thats is why i might play for them and the country is also so stable that it would factor into my decision.

I would probably beg for the chance to play for Bhutan, screw you Montserratis.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If Japan were to reject me (well, in a way, they have already), I would have no problem playing for USA, my country of residence for the past 12 years.

Otherwise, I don't think I could play for any other country, especially ones I don't have any real ties with, Bhutan being the exception, of course. Montserrat? Never!

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am declaring my intention to play for any country that is willing to cap me.

9. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    This is a pretty good question. Haven't seen a good poll in awhile. Last good one I saw was the one about which win was your favorite US win whether it was over Portugal or Mexico.

10. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'm only eligable for England and Wales, and they're both doing OK without me. If I could play for another team based on my long-standing residency, I would be tempted, but I'd fake an injury whenever they played England or Wales.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Yeah, I'd play for Austria, baby. I'm probably good enough as it is.

12. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
  13. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonga! Tonga! Tonga!

That site is outstanding. My favorite part:

Football was first introduced to Tonga by His Majesty King Taufa'ahau Tupou 4 when he organized games amongst his soldiers and guards. Such was the enthusiasm generated that it soon became obvious an organization was needed to structure competition.

Tonga Football Association - since 1965
    Their future success begins with you!

If you check results under "schedule", you can see Tonga was cracking heads against all the Samoas last year.

As for the poll, if the US didn't take me, I could always go play for lower ranked Italy ;)

14. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    I clicked that I would like to play international football anywhere. The USA will never cap me, but if there is a country out there willing to take a 36-year-old who has no professional experience, who is a tad out of shape (but not too far gone) and who never had great speed, I might consider playing--but only if they would at least cover my airfare, lodging, etc. [Gosh, I'm sure some country is ready to snap me up right now.]

There is a part of me (the Groucho Marx part) that thinks that I wouldn't want to play for any international team that would have me as a member.

15. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    If England rejected me (I find it hard to consider that a serious possibility :) ) I would consider playing for Australia, where my parents are from. The only other side would be Scotland, just so I could put in as little effort as possible and stick a couple of own goals past whatever joker they have in goal. Mind you, their results couldn't really get much worse anyway and I'd be bound to imrpove the standard of the team. :)

16. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    if england rejected me i would play for the USA. that way if they ether won the world cup Everyone would say they only one because they had an Englishman in the team.

17. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I could only play for Canada, and that is not going to happen.

18. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    yea, me too....im only 19

19. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I think that any country that I would be qualified to play for would be summarily expelled from FIFA on the basis of gross negligence in terms of player development.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being that I have a grand parent from Prussia, and that my skill rank somewhere between Donovan's and Agoos's, I will happily play for Prussia.

21. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    oh yeah

if i win the lottery, I would research my european ancestry, and apply to be an andorran citizen (maybe I could have a property in Ibiza in the offseason). Then I would get back in match fitness and captain the national side to the champions of the small european countries cup. We will beat the hell out of lichtenstein!

As I am almost 30 there is no point in going for the obvious national sides that I could play for USA or Spain. But me and those post-office workers and school teachers would have a go against iceland and luxembourg. Does vatican city have a national team? I mean ..I saw the statue I know jesus digs soccer.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: oh yeah

Well, the Pope can play goalie - though I hear he's not as quick as he used to be.

23. statoman

statoman New Member

Sep 11, 1999
    West Kentucky
    Well, I'm a slow 33-year old with a ponytail. There's a certain man who fits that general description (I think he's 34 now) who has been capped by the USA 100+ times, while I have never even been called into camp. Of course, I'm not left-footed and I didn't go to UVa

Maybe American Samoa or Montserrat or Tonga or St. Kitts will cap me.

I refuse to play for France :)

24. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    It is in my country's bet interest to not cap me. In fact, it is in the interest of almost every country to not cap me.

With this in mind, I said that I would "play" for the rival of my country. This, of course, would almost guarantee that my country would win.

:)

25. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I could play for 4 countries: Republic of Ireland, England, Canada, and Northern Ireland. My top choice would be Rep. Ireland, with Canada second. I would never consider playing for England and probably not Northern Ireland, not that I'm particularly anti-British, but some of my friends and family would more than likely never talk to me again.

Playing for Canada would also cause some tensions among pro-Newfoundland-independence friends, but Canada would still be my first choice if rejected by Ireland.