IF USL-1 folds?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by MLSinCleveland, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I doubt it would happen, if for some reason the TOA league gets off the ground and takes enough teams with it (PR and NYC have been mentioned beyond the current 8 TOA members as possible defectors) that USL-1 can't get the 8 teams necessary for USSF certification (more of an '11 issue than a '10 one - see my post in the "Grassy knoll" thread on the USL board), what do you think becomes of City. If this was AIS, I'd assume they'd stick with USL to the bitter end, but I'm not as sure about the new owner.

btw, in the aforementioned "grassy knoll" thread, I posted this question in regard to both City and the Aztex, but figured I'd post it specifically about City here to get a response more centered on CCS fans.

in case you're wondering, I think that new ownership wants to stay D-2 if at all possible and would look to go to the TOA league and would probably be accepted. (I think the City Stars would go USL-Pro rather than out of business in case of rejection by the TOA, however.)

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the world ends tomorrow, yadda yadda yadda...

3. frominsidethelines

frominsidethelines New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    YOU DON'T KNOW #$%^&.. DO you read what you write? you must be smoking grass from your "knoll"

4. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Dude, calm it down! This is purely a what-if thread! Calm the f@$# down, son!

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, MLSinCleveland, but have you been living in a cave since Garber announced Cleveland MLS?

USL-Pro (D3)???? It hasn't been called that in years. Its called USL Second Division. Do you think the first division is called A-League too? Or is the NASL to you?

7. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take these point by point

screenname - hey, look, even I make a joke out of it. I signed up here back when Cleveland was trying to get an MLS team and didn't want to lose my post count/rep by changing my screenname.

USL-pro - in the hypothetical world I am describing, where USL-1 has too few teams to retain USSF sanction and all remaining USl professional teams have to play in what is now USL-2, USL-Pro would be a logical name for such a league (no USL-1 left for there to be a USL-2)

D3 - poor choice of words on my part. I was just trying to indicate that, in the scenario described by this poll choice, the Stars would be going straight to third division soccer to remain with the USL, rather than making an attempt to stay second division by applying to the breakaway circuit. I should have probably put "(third division)" rather than "(D3)." I honestly didn't think it would construed as me being oblivious to the name change.:eek:

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist jumping on someone who said D3 Pro.

And Cleveland MLS is such a sad story...

Carry on.

9. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    as of today these are the only teams left in the USL1

USL First Division
    Austin Aztex
    Cleveland City Stars (still looking to sell the team)
    Portland Timbers
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Rochester Rhinos

Usl will be forced to merge USl1 and USL2 together

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should drop to USL2 and move back to Krenzler.

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows what you know. It looks like what the OP suggested has pretty much happened.

12. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Charleston dropped to USL-2 to reduce travel costs. Are you suggesting a USL-2 north/south divisional alignment?