If the New England Revolution were to rename/change logo, what will it be?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Khkevin, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    An actual crest is a necessity once this franchise finally rebrands (most likely if/when we get a SSS). I personally like the "New England Revolution" name but I could also see the FO being interested in capitalizing on the Boston moniker if we're in a more urban SSS.

I could get used to:

Boston City S.C.
    Boston Revolution S.C.
    Boston Revolution 96

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They need something that is an actual crest, with our club's name on it. The current logo just doesn't translate well to jerseys, especially on dark materials.

I'd hope that they could incorporate something from the current logo into a rebrand, maybe the stripes of the flag or the stars/soccer ball.

JDEsq09 repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true about a real "revolution," but this is a logo, and this logo sucks if you're going to use it in the same way most sports clubs use theirs.

4. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've been of the opinion that the New England Revolution's logo has been an aesthetic train-wreck since it was foisted upon the Krafts by Major League Soccer's merchandising partners in 1996. The Revolution would have been far better-served by having a badge/logo created for the team by a graphic design and branding firm that specializes in creating brand identities, particularly an outfit that had an extensive history of providing such services for clients in the sports industry.

That said, I'm a huge proponent of maintaining both the New England Revolution name and the blue, red and white color-scheme in perpetuity. Both the name and palette pay homage to New England's role in the American Revolution and the establishment of the United States of America. The use of New England as the place-name speaks to the fact that the franchise not only represents supporters in the City of Boston and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, but fans throughout the six New England states.

Most importantly, given that professional soccer in the United States and Canada has long been derided for lacking the tradition that the sport enjoys elsewhere in the world, I find it counter-productive to engage in a wholesale rebranding of a franchise that has existed since Major League Soccer's inception. You don't establish tradition by jettisoning a club's identity after 17 years. Has the Revolution suffered through difficult seasons? Absolutely - it is currently mired in a particularly moribund slump. That said, the team has also enjoyed success under the New England Revolution sobriquet, including four appearances in the MLS Cup final, and U.S. Open Cup and SuperLiga championship wins. There's no need to turn one's back on the club name that accompanied those accomplishments. Doing so is simply electing to cut-and-run on the franchise's history - the good as well as the bad.

The solution is to combine the existing New England Revolution name and color scheme with a visually appealing new badge. Personally, I've long been partial to the crest that Mark Walls of cemagraphics - a Twin Cities-based graphic design firm - created.

[​IMG]

Soccerglue and JDEsq09 repped this.
  5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needs more rivets! Just kidding. I don't think anyone could argue that the logo above is not beautiful. It is. And if they did go to a crest concept (which I'm still against) I could certainly be happy with this very well done piece of artwork.

JDEsq09 repped this.
  6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't understand how you can be against a crest. Don't we need an actual crest to properly brand and identify this team? You know, something that shows up well on jerseys and has our actual name on it?

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He honestly believes that the "symbolism" of not having a crest fits in with the American Revolution "motif"...and then he also associates that with fans actually caring about that. I don't want to speak for him, but that has been his argument for a long time.

------------------------------------------------

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Whether you think the current logo is good, bad or whatever is totally beside the point. The Revs brand is damaged beyond repair. They are a joke in the community and in the league. Other than the name itself, the logo is probably the most identifiable part of that brand to most people in the market. So, it being a good or bad or historically significant and accurate logo doesn't matter...people associate that logo with nothing positive.

Crooked repped this.
  8. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as soon as they start doing some of those outreach things and getting associated with the soccer community in the area, the logo will be associated with that. Changing a logo without changing how the franchise positions itself in the community doesn't matter at all.

Kraft Out repped this.
  9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I completely agree. And that will never make sense so long as they are in Foxboro.

10. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree and disagree. I totally agree that doing things that take attention away from the game as it's going on, like playing music while a ball/puck/shuttlecock/whatever is in play, is terrible, and I want nothing to do with it, but I don't understand why firing muskets after a goal makes the team hokey and unprofessional.

What is and isn't hokey is rather subjective. I'm sure some people might think it's hokey having a cookout at a stadium before a game, or standing the whole game screaming or singing silly songs (something much more common in college rather than professional sports here), and they'd say something like 'why don't those people sit down and watch the game?' You may not like it, so it's affect on you is the opposite of exciting, but I think it's a stretch to say the fans in a stadium aren't excited when their mascot is riding onto the field before a game. I'm not saying we need a horse, that's what the Revs have been missing all these years, but I find no reason to begrudge others enjoying it.

11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    But this is the line of reasoning that began a lot of these in stadium things to begin with. That, because it hasn't been done, and because it's subjective, it's possible, even probable, that if we come up with some sort of thing to excite the crowd, that it will result in a better game day experience.

Ask yourself an honest question, how many times have you gone to a sporting event and left thinking, or hearing other people actually say, boy I wish there were more things going on other than the actual game?

Also, we are trying to compare a bunch of American sports than are literally built for these sorts of excitement building things during downtime. The 4 major sports all have major stoppages in play. Times in the game where the excitement from the fans can't grow naturally, because there is literally no action going on. So, while it is a bit plastic and manufactured, it somewhat makes sense to pump up a crowd after a timeout or coming back from commercial. Otherwise, it's possible that the number of breaks in the game would put people to sleep and expose their games for what they are...commercially disrupted distractions. There are a hell of a lot of hokey fans that would tell you that the game was far more exciting, and the stadium experience was much better, before there were commercial breaks, and nonsense between whistles. That was a long time ago, so it's hard to imagine that time, but before TV turned sports into the media spectacle that it is, crowds in stadiums didn't need shit being thrown at their eyes and senses that didn't have to do with the game, to be excited.

Soccer is completely different. There are no real stoppages of play. The only time there is a stoppage is during a goal, or injury. Goals bring organic celebration anyways. Sure, if you wanna fire off some muskets and make it even louder, then fine. I guess that isn't so bad. It looks hokey, but that is my personal taste. And you sure as shit aren't going to play some "pump up" music after an injury. LOL that would be the worst possible taste imaginable.

As far as getting people "fired up" before a game that plays non-stop for 45 straight minutes until it takes a 15 minute break and then plays for another 45 non-stop minutes...is pointless. That manufactured excitement will be gone before the ball is touched by the 3rd person in the game.

My whole point here is that that shit doesn't get people excited about soccer. What gets people excited about soccer is exciting play on the field, goals and winning. It's part of the reason why most of us gravitate toward "the beautiful game". It doesn't need all this ancillary nonsense to keep us constantly stimulated, or to tell us when we should be pumped up. The nuances of the game don't lend itself to that, and that is why it's beautiful.

EDIT: metoo, how the hell did you get this to this thread? lol

Crooked repped this.
  12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you just did. And misrepresented me, I might add. I made neither associations. I merely maintain, as I have from the start, that the logo captures the makeshift feeling of a spontaneous revolution. Nothing more. I understand it (the design intent of the logo), I appreciate it, and that's why I like it because it transcends the fact that maybe it's not the prettiest logo.

13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ummmmmmm that is exactly how I represented it

Crooked repped this.
  14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so much against a crest as I am against changing what we have. I'll say it again, if a population decides to revolt, they don't first sit down and carefully design a crest. No, they come up with something quick, spontaneous, improvised.... they attach red fabric on a pole, a' la Les Miserables. Or, they scrawl something on a wall, like the Rev's word-mark or the present logo. That to me, properly depicts a Revolution.

I'll say it again and again... they got it right from the beginning. And I disagree on what shows up well on jerseys. Our present logo is definitely identifiable from 80 yards away. A crest would not be. It would look just like all the other soccer crests from that distance.
    PS: I love the way our logo looks on a ball cap.

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, If you say so. :thumbsup:

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A revolution also doesn't sit down and decide to create a professional soccer franchise, so.......

This notion of false nostalgia and skeumorphic bullshit is totally ridiculous. You are trying to make the Revs more historically important and accurate than they are. This is a friggin professional soccer league.

17. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it would probably be best to have a crest with our actual name on it. It seems like a no brainer for a club that has such terrible brand recognition in its own market.

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reject your notion as just your opinion (remaining friendly of course). But, I reject it just the same. :)

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it be best? Ok, sorry, I see now after I reread it. Well if we went to a crest I say change the name completely, because Revolution and a crest to me don't go together.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You can reject my opinion, but it's impossible to reject the fact that the "motif" is contrived and manufactured and not anywhere near what the actual intent of a true revolution is.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is possible. Here, let me show you: I reject that the "motif" is contrived and manufactured and not anywhere near what the actual intent of a true revolution is.

22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    How is the motif not contrived? It was created in a think tank or board meeting, and on a graphic designers computer. By it's very nature it is contrived in the context of a revolution. It is like shopping at hot topic and thinking you are punk rock.

23. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I just now came across this, and honestly, and I'm as confused as you are, but I'm rather embarrassed. I guess this is what happens when I let my paying job distract me from doing what's really important, posting here. :confused:

24. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I just now came across this, and honestly, I'm both confused and embarrassed. I guess this is what happens when I let my paying job distract me from doing what's important, posting here. :confused: (and this is my 2nd attempt to send this reply, I got a Java error the first time, and I know I had one earlier this morning. I don't know what is going on)

25. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha! That's a good one!