If the New England Revolution were to rename/change logo, what will it be?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Khkevin, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    X United, X FC, FC X, Real X, X Dynamo, Sporting X all do. Take out minor-league names and you're left with Galaxy, Crew, Fire, and Rapids. Take out 96 names and you're left with Fire.

And either way, I'd rather have a team like SKC or RSL then like the Fire or the Clashquakes.

2. DB53

DB53 Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    , Im a bit of a eurosnob and Boston is in New England so I thought it would only be fitting

3. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you do realize this is where we overthrew the British, right?

NFLPatriot and Achowat repped this.
  4. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I personally like Athletic Club of Boston of New England in Massachusetts Football Club Independence Wanderers 1776-1996 Atlantic

Or, as I like to call it ACBNEMFCIW7696A

a517dogg, 6and33areGOD and bwidell repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #480 RevsLiverpool, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    No - we need North American team names like the ones you gave above and to continue to forge our identity as not a baby European league. I hate "Sporting" or "Real" xyz American City Name. Create your own identity.

NFLPatriot and agoo101284 repped this.
  6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an idea.... Let's call the team The New England Revolution. I think the colors should be red white and blue.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you must work in marketing...

Khkevin repped this.
  8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche! :) Touche_Turtle.jpg

DB53 repped this.
  9. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our team is clearly the most american mls team with the red, white, and blue. Other Americans see our team as the pride of America.

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why we get so many neutral fans in Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Hawai'i. We are truly America's team.

(I was going to say "Guam" instead of Hawai'i, but it's wholly possible that having the greatest ever Guamanian footballer helps us there)

11. DB53

DB53 Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think FC Dallas is more american than us

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Is it that time again, already? Oh, well... if you insist.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've been of the opinion that the New England Revolution's logo has been an aesthetic train-wreck since it was foisted upon the Krafts by Major League Soccer's merchandising partners in 1996. The Revolution would have been far better-served by having a badge/logo created for the team by a graphic design and branding firm that specializes in creating brand identities, particularly an outfit that had an extensive history of providing such services for clients in the sports industry.

That said, I'm a huge proponent of maintaining both the New England Revolution name and the blue, red and white color-scheme in perpetuity. Both the name and palette pay homage to New England's role in the American Revolution and the establishment of the United States of America. The use of New England as the place-name speaks to the fact that the franchise not only represents supporters in the City of Boston and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, but fans throughout the six New England states.

Most importantly, given that professional soccer in the United States and Canada has long been derided for lacking the tradition that the sport enjoys elsewhere in the world, I find it counter-productive to engage in a wholesale rebranding of a franchise that has existed since Major League Soccer's inception. You don't establish tradition by jettisoning a club's identity after 17 years. Has the Revolution suffered through difficult seasons? Absolutely - it is currently mired in a particularly moribund slump. That said, the team has also enjoyed success under the New England Revolution sobriquet, including four appearances in the MLS Cup final, and U.S. Open Cup and SuperLiga championship wins. There's no need to turn one's back on the club name that accompanied those accomplishments. Doing so is simply electing to cut-and-run on the franchise's history - the good as well as the bad.

The solution is to combine the existing New England Revolution name and color scheme with a visually appealing new badge. Personally, I've long been partial to the crest that Mark Walls of cemagraphics - a Twin Cities-based graphic design firm - created.

[​IMG]

Let's make sure to discuss this again soon.

a517dogg, Khkevin, shanary and 5 others repped this.
  13. DB53

DB53 Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of the soccer ball on top, add something else, a skyline, muskets, something other than a soccer ball, we all know its a soccer team

14. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya. This is way better than the current one.

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. No, we don't all know it's a soccer team. Most people are blissfully unaware of its existence.
    2. By my count, 4 EPL teams (including ManUtd and Chelsea) have soccer balls in their logo. 7 of the 34 teams left in the Champions League (The aforementioned English teams, Barcelona, Benfica, CSKA Moscow, Basel, and Real Sociedad) have soccer balls in their logo. CSKA even has the Truncated Icosahedron of the MLS logo (that the Finale-Crayola logo is trying to emulate).

The presence or absence of a soccer ball does not and cannot reflect the quality of the logo. 22 NBA teams have basketballs in their logo (including the 2 most successful and storied franchises in League history). 10 MLB teams (including minor-league operations like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants) have baseballs in their logo, and one more each with a bat and a diamond. Even in the NHL (the league with the simplest and cleanest logos of the Big 4), 6 teams, again including teams with no history or success like Pittsburgh and the Islanders, find a place in their logo for playing equipment.

a517dogg repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep Brian in Boston's post more than one time. That is absolutely on the mark. New badge, but keep the name and color scheme. None of this "we are moving to a new stadium, so we have to change our name so it looks like we are a totally new team" nonsense.

17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    We all know that Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Norwich, Rangers, Birmingham City, FC Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Malaga, Getafe, Benfica, Porto, Santos FC, FC Zenit, FC Twente, FC Basel etc. are soccer teams, as well. It hasn't stopped those clubs - and more - from featuring a depiction of a soccer ball in their logos/badges.

18. DB53

DB53 Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, ok then, keep it

19. DB53

DB53 Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #494 DB53, Aug 28, 2013
    What were you thinking in terms of kits?

20. SoccerSpecificSentra

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree with the idea of keeping the name and changing the badge, however...
    ...I think that badge is horrendous. It's a very lazy and generic design. I feel like this person spent no time doing research or sketching ideas. It looks like what happens when you say, "Make a logo in 15 minutes for the Revs!" to someone who has never set foot in New England and maybe has a small amount of design sense but not enough. Also, I'm not crazy about the standard "damaged-looking colonial font" to begin with, but this person absolutelty massacred it by stretching it like that. Looking at it makes me sad.

21. SoccerSpecificSentra

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    :thumbsup:
    :thumbsdown:

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuff said. Although I'm one of those ones who doesn't want the logo to change, but this one here is so nice I wouldn't stand in the way of it were it to be adopted! Other than that, I agree 100% with this post.

23. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #498 Brian in Boston, Aug 28, 2013
    You're entitled to your opinion.

How so? What strikes you as being "lazy and generic" about it, as opposed to sleek and minimalist?
    And what specifically about the design of the logo leads you to come to that conclusion? Its simplicity? The artist in question may well have designed 5... 10... 20... 50 different initial treatments in a range of shapes and sizes before settling upon this design.

As opposed to what exactly? This design?

[​IMG]

What about this logo that you shared, beyond the pine tree you took from the flag of New England, says anything more about this region than Mark Walls' logo? The overall shape? Mr. Walls' logo is a stylized shield, whereas your logo looks more like a baseball home plate. The stripes? Mr. Walls' logo has stripes. The date, which obliquely references the Revolution's first year of operation? Mr. Walls' logo doesn't reference the franchise's launch, but does take the mystery out of identifying its name. What about your design in any way, shape, or form communicates the idea that it took longer than "15 minutes" to design? What about your design indicates anything beyond "a small amount of design sense". No offense to you, but I just showed both Mr. Walls' logo and your mark to six people sitting next to me in my client's waiting area, and each one of them was of the opinion that his logo was the one created by a graphics professional possessing more "design sense". Likewise, each one of them opined that Mr. Walls' logo looked to have taken the greater amount of time to create... and that said time exceeded "15 minutes".

Also, I'm not crazy about the standard "damaged-looking colonial font" to begin with, but this person absolutelty massacred it by stretching it like that. Looking at it makes me sad.[/quote]

SoccerSpecificSentra repped this.
  24. SoccerSpecificSentra

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ^Yeah, that's much nicer. No horribly mutilated text.

25. SoccerSpecificSentra

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #500 SoccerSpecificSentra, Aug 28, 2013
    Also, what happened to your long response? Was about to go blow-by-blow, but the post has departed. :(

EDIT: Ah, now it's back. I'll respond after dinner, complete with 1980s Pete Townshend references!