If I won the Lottery

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by owian, Mar 18, 2014.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So mega millions is apparently up to 400 million dollars. So was thinking if I won that what would I do. Well start an MLS franchise in San Diego of course. 100 million for the expansion fee, leaves 300 million for the stadium and start up costs. Seems reasonable, KC built their new place for about 220 million. (yes I know I am ignoring taxes but lets pretend they don't count)

So I was thinking where to build the new SSS. I thought 4 places.

1) Downtown:
    Forget the new downtown Chargers stadium lets build a SSS where the Wonderbread factory is. Already have existing parking, and easy access to the trolley and freeways. Have the gaslamp district right there for pre and post game partying. All and all seems a good spot for a stadium

Downsides: Chargers have priority to the land. You're close to the gaslamp, what actual resident of San Diego goes out in the gaslamp?

2) Little Qualcom:
    Build a SSS on the edge of the Qualcom parking lot. It's the easiest location to get to. Could even do it as part of a new Chargers stadium and make it like Cardiff Arms Park where you have three stands and share a side with the new Stadium. Parking lot, trolley and infrastructure are already there. And great tailgating.

Downsides: Your in the middle of Mission Valley. Nothing near by to walk to. Not a problem with a Chargers game when you are tailgating but for soccer nice to be more in the community.

3) North County somewhere:
    Inland North County is the fastest growing part of San Diego (well that and East lake but then you are in Xolos country) Maybe get the county or one of the cities up there to support a stadium. Escondido was floating around the idea of a minor league baseball stadium a few years ago. A SSS wouldn't be that much more. Also can tap into fans from South Riverside county. Finally maybe get Stone to sponsor the team!

Downside: It's a long way away for many of us. Other MLS cities have shown us that it is tempting to build in the burbs for price but your better off being in the city (KC, Philly the exceptions).

4) The Water tower in North Park:
    Come on if you have played adult soccer in this city you have probably played at the Water tower. Middle of the city close to 3 major freeways and in the biggest hippster neighborhood in the city. A stadium that is genuinely in an Urban neighborhood (well the closest thing San Diego has to that). Also plenty of good bars within walking distance

Downside: No existing parking and trying to get 20,000 cars in and out of that neighborhood would be a nightmare. To many skinny jeans and mustaches.

So what does everyone think?

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good spot would be where the Sports Arena is, imo. But I really do like the North Park idea for some reason. Too bad the trolley doesn't go there.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll start by saying that I don't think San Diego will ever be in the mix for an MLS club, as MLS stands right now.

I think it would be perfect for a NASL or USLpro sized club and stadium though.

Agree that the Chargers would have first dibs.

Not sure how old you are but lots of San Diegan's go out in the Gaslamp. It's the only place (besides La Jolla) you can get fine dining at and where the majority of clubs are for the early 20 through early 30's crowd.

Have to say that tearing down the Q and then building a new football stadium and a smaller SSS would be ideal. Don't really see walking anywhere to be an issue as the trolley is really convenient.

Agree anything in North County or eastern Chula is way too far for most folks. Disagree that anything south of the 8 is "Xolos' country...basically anywhere in SoCal is Xolos country if you notice the stickers on cars.

Too small of an area I think. Plus no public transport...however lots of cool bars and restaurants even though there are tons of hipsters around. LOL

I'd like to throw out one last location:

National City bay front:
    Pros: Access to the trolley, area would get a much needed economic boost and still relatively central.

Cons: Possible fight from unions (IIRC the area I have in mind is used for some kind of cargo shipping), area would need some time to grow into what East Village has become.

4. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should get Beckham to reconsider his Miami plans and build out here in San Diego!

MLSFan10 and owian repped this.
  5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All it takes is someone with cash and connections and the drive put together an ownership group.

Problem is most of the guys with money in SD are older and I don't know if they like soccer :(

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably seeing as we're going to get a AHL team, padres are revamping their squad and the mayor actually wants the chargers to stay and has pushed for a stadium plan.

7. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welp looks like the stadium task force is not going to be needed anymore. Maybe they can refocus on a SSS on the Wonderbread site (although I do like Mission Brewery maybe they could be incorporated somehow). Or something tied into the convention center. A 20-25,000 seater that could also act as space for conventions. Not going to happen I know but we can dream.

But seriously with it look very likely that the Chargers are gone (I know they say they want to work with San Diego but you don't buy the land and hold a press conference for contingency plans.) What happens to Qualcom. Anyone know how much it would cost to re-model it into a 40,000 for the Aztecs and possibly a soccer team?

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its in the hundreds of millions if not billion territory.

The issue with the Murph site is that there is tons of environmental cleanup that needs to be done. Theoretically they could build a 35K Aztec football stadium that could serve as a soccer stadium in a pinch or if a tenant is found. They'd need to re-purpose a bunch of that land in hotels and condo's/apt's to recoup some of the cost.

I know SDSU also wants to expand so they'd want some land too.

9. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure felt like a back stab. Still think a professional soccer team in san diego is in the back burner and will continue to sit there until the whole chargers situation clears up.

As for renovation, recently we've seen stadium renovations rank around several hundred mill. Cal state had their renovation for 321 million(not including debt). Husky renovations added up to 281 million & Notre Dame are estimating theirs at 400 mill. The ideal would be what Standford managed to do: 85k reduced to 50k at a remarkable cost of 90 million.

10. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Do you guys think Tijuana is a road block to San Diego expansion?

I'd really like to see MLS expand to San Francisco and San Diego long before Sacramento honestly (Sorry, Sac-town) but I think San Diego will have to come later when MLS is more established so as to compete more equally with Tijuana.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is more than likely never going to happen here.

Now does that mean that USL or NASL are never going to happen? I doubt it. All we need is for an MLS team or some solid investors to want to start a team and we can easily join the minor leagues. Just too many things to over come for MLS to work IMO.

Xolos are a good threat but it won't limit people from having a true home town team.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I don't think the Xolos are a permanent roadblock. However what I do think the Xolos are, is an additional challenge that has to be overcome. They're clearly the most popular team in the region now, and folks on both sides of the border have been working to make it clear the Xolos represent San Diego and ARE the home team. Now the presence of an actual San Diego branded team would hurt that perception, but for some it won't be enough to unseat the Xolos for them. And that's not a great thing for a team coming into an area that's already notoriously transient and/or lackluster when it comes to sports fandom to have yet one more knock against it.

13. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't be a deterrent. Different league and generally different fan bases. Our biggest issue is a stadium and an investor. I think in the current climate the fans would turn out.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See that's an issue though, the "different fan base" (generally meaning Latino or specifically Mexican) is generally one that is pursued heavily by other MLS teams and is needed for their growth and success in California. I mean just look at the Galaxy and Earthquakes. Both court their Latino fans heavily.

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still shouldn't be a deterrent though as the teams would be in different leagues. Just because some Mexican-American's cheer for Xolos doesn't mean they won't cheer for a San Diego team. Lets be honest, there aren't tons of fans who travel across the border to go to games (of any ethnicity). I know Xolos and some entrepreneurs are trying to mitigate the long wait times by scheduling buses and tours but that realistically isn't sustainable for a typical family.

What would kill any chance of a true san diego team would be for Xolos to start a USL franchise.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how you define a "ton". The team is saying they get 20% of their fans from across the border, which isn't an insignificant amount. And they're not all Mexican-Americans either. The Xolos probably have more Anglo fans than any other Mexican team and I believe they're the only one with their own specifically US based supporters group.

[​IMG]

But you're right that a Xolos owned USL or NASL squad would be the death knell for MLS in San Diego. I mean the Xolos are already fairly popular without having an actual presence north of the border. You give them that too and it's game over. I mean look at this map FoxSports commissioned. Xolos already beat out the Galaxy or any other MLS team in terms of popularity in San Diego.

[​IMG]

mike4066 repped this.
  17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post and love that infograph. Thanks!

I know what Xolos say they get but I have a hard time believing 5K people come across the border to watch a Xolos game. Not all 5k of those people are SENTRI or equivalent holders. My point is that their cross border season ticket or even consistent game attendance is closer to 1k than the 5k they report.

I guess what I am getting at is that folks would rather wait an hour or so for a trolley/traffic than wait in border lines.

18. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh not just the borderlines it's also a ways down to the Border for a lot of people. It's close to an hour from downtown by trolley and in Friday afternoon traffic could easily be that long as well. Honestly with the Friday evening matches the borderlines are pretty short coming North. But it's still a huge time commitment. I went to the Match on May 1st, we caught a trolley downtown at about 5:15 and got back to Mission Hills around 11:30 pm. So about a 6 hour time commitment, and only 2 hours of it was the match. Could have been worse too, a friend gave us a ride from the Palm ave. trolley stop to Mission Hills, and the borderline was literally 10 mins.

Now I had a great time and plan on going to another match in the fall but the time commitment from start to finish is just too much for me to buy season tickets.

But basically for me I think the TJ-SD metro area is big enough for two sides as long as they are in different leagues. Most fans would pick one or the other but I bet you would have some genuine carry over between the two. I know if an MLS team were here I would have season tickets but would also still make trips to Xolos games. Doubt I would be the only one.

athletics68 and mike4066 repped this.
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see if their is follow through on an MLS team if the Chargers stadium comes to fruition as they have presented as a good possibility. I agree that a team in MLS could do well here as there's always a segment of the population that just won't go to TJ and an even larger segment that would prefer to throw their loyalty behind an actual San Diego club rather than a TJ club.

Will also be interesting what happens if the Chargers bolt to LA as there have continued to be rumblings that SDSU would do their own smaller stadium at Mission Valley in the absence of the NFL team. A stadium that would be well suited to either MLS or barring that could be used by NASL or USL.

20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS is dead in San Diego.

Now a NASL or USL team might get done but I really doubt the stadium will be in SD city limits (thinking more National City, Chula Vista or Escondido).

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I take it you don't have any faith that the Mission Valley stadium will get built?

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I do (about 75% confident that something will get built there).

I just don't think we have an investment group capable of supporting an MLS team (unless Miami falls apart for Beckham and he chooses SD).

I really think that a smaller investment group will be put together and bring in a USL or NASL team.

23. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's where it has always been, an attractive MLS market, with no stadium or ownership group. I think those get sorted and San Diego moves to the top of the list. But neither seem to be in the pipeline so agree not happening anytime soon but unless MLS stops expansion completely (something I don't see happening) San Diego will always have a chance because of the attractiveness of the market.

Now if the stadium issue could be sorted out, that would probably help with the owner situation. But of course that is all up in the air until the Charger situation is settled. Basically I agree that the chances remain slim but some clarity in the stadium issue only helps the chances of MLS...

And the CSAG did recommend an MLS team for the new stadium, now I think that's just talk but it's more than we have had.

24. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you had a viable place for them to play you would see interested parties. But I do agree don't see someone looking to sink 400 million and deal with the headaches of building it here.

(unless of course I win the lottery).

25. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with all the talk about MLS heating up I figured I would bring this thread back up but as a real discussion about possible stadium sites.

From the rumors I have heard there seem to two main contenders, Mission Valley and East Village.
    So was curious which one people preferred and why?

If we are just talking about a MLS franchise and not trying to find a home for the Aztecs too my vote would be for East Village. I have to admit to being a bit of a Europhile and a Stadium right there would feel very European. Close to bars for pre/post match pints, as good a transport links as San Diego has, and a very walkable area. Also I am assuming it would be linked with the convention center, and built in a way that would offer more space for conventions. Either on top of convention space like JMI's plan for the football stadium, or with a retractable roof.

Downsides are getting in and out of Downtown can be a pain. There would be little tailgating, although this would probably be the case in Mission Valley as well. Would take longer and be more complicated to build because land has to be acquired and possibly cleaned up. It's not as good for SDSU. And the worst of all Mission Brewery would be displaced!!!

Anyone else have thoughts or have heard other rumors of possible locations?