If Guevara leaves next year...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tkgunn, Sep 28, 2005.

1. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    How many people think Eddie Gaven could step into Amodo's spot in the middle of the field and do well?

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Personally I think Amado leaving is a big mistake for him, the Metro & MLS.

If it does happen and if Youri stays, Youri should be in the middle with Gaven to help him out and then you will have Razov & Galvan Rey up top that is if they do re-sign SGR

3. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Guevara would be foolish to leave MLS. Where would he play? For a third rate Costa Rican team with 15 fans and no chance of advancement in pay? Nuts.

4. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    The one constant with the Metros seems to be that I have absolutely no idea what they will do next, and that when they do something I have no idea whether it will work or not. This wouldnt be so bad if we would win something every now and then.

5. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven played a similar role to that for the U-20's this summer and it didn't turn out to well

6. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Not me.

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven's future is only at forward. Using him as a midfielder opens up defensive holes that others have to plug. He is not tough enough for midfield. He shies away from contact. He has a lot of skills with the ball, but he does not want to bang bodies, nor use his hands to push. nor tackle hard. And he is not mean like a Dema. Bottom line is that he is not a "complete" player.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a forward, he is an outside midfielder.

9. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    If Amado leaves next year, and I hope he doesn't, I think the Metros should aggresively persue Claudio Reyna for alot of reasons. Midfield distributor, international experience, his desire to play in MLS eventually, NJ boy and does well attacking and defending. Don't know what kind of deal we could make, but if Amado leaves we will have salary cap space plus we could probably find alot of "soft money" to lure home Captian America.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CR has a good rep of playing well with good players, but not so good a rep for playing with weaker players. If he were to play in MLS it would be a lot like Donadoni's experience. CR is better off staying in Europe as long as possible.

11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about backing up your assertion with some commentary?

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I just laughed at this question.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    not trying to troll here, but from my perspective, this thread reminds me a bit of a similar situation DC United had.

in general terms (where "=" means "is somewhat similar to")
    Guevara = Etcheverry
    Youri = C.Gomez
    Gaven = Convey

so clearly Gaven's future lies in the CCC with a side trying to get promoted. it is just a shame that Eddie hasn't had Arena trying him out at right back for multiple numbers of caps so he could earn a WP (on a second attempt) and go to England.

14. monkey

monkey New Member

May 6, 2003
    Oakland
    God I hope they will not resign Galvan Rey... too much money paid for his lack of production.

15. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I see the connection between Guevara leaving the Metrostars and him leaving the MLS. If this line of commentary is based on his venting remarks, I'd not bet on his leaving.

If he did leave the Metrostars, he would certainly go to another MLS team.

16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know this?

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Amado's gripe has always been with the league -- specifically the officiating -- not with Metro. Leaving Metro for another team would not solve his problem.

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Nah, I am not feelin it. I don't think Amado is gunna leave anyway.

19. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a secret insider with a signed Guevara contract for next year.

Dude, it was an opinion, I didn't make a claim to know any facts. I doubt anyone could know anything yet, this season is not over.

My OPINION is that Guevara is important to the MLS, makes a decent salary here, and probably wouldn't do quite as well ($$) and/or play as much in another league.

20. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I don't think he'd leave.