If God Played Football He'd be Modric - The Luka Godric Worship Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, May 29, 2018.

1. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Because people just look at goals these days, they can’t see beyond it.
    I would love to see this award being given in separate categories, there needs to be one for goalies, full backs, CBs and CMs. As it stands they might as well rename it goal scorer of the year award. Outside of Cannavaro I can’t remember the last non offensive player that won the ballon d’or and I find that to be garbage.

You’d get some that’d say “ well goals win you games” yes they do but if you concede more than you score you will lose, the people behind the likes of CR are the ones who make sure that doesn’t happen.

Digital and J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Former legend, Lukita is a current legend.

3. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely agree, no one player can win games on their own, always been my thought, it’s why I have zero interest in who wins individual awards, without a doubt, in the biggest games, they are huge performances all over the pitch, and throughout every season they are consistently great performers all over the pitch as well, for instance , I think Varane was great for us in the CL, had a decent season and was great for France at the WC and he had a huge hand performing credibly in winning two of those trophies, why not him?

Deep Pal, S1na and Drouchk repped this.
  4. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is I think Ronaldo would be a world class midfielder or defender if he were asked to play those positions. He hasn't been asked to do anything except score goals in a long time so that is what he is measured by and mastered.

If we asked Modric or Varane to play striker I don't think they would be very effective. On the other hand I think players like Ramos or Marcelo could play as forwards and score a lot more goals.

Also @Digital I don't think Varane, although a world class player, is nearly as important to club or country as Ronaldo and Modric. It is what it is and as far as pure footballing ability (technique) he's just not as good as Ronaldo or Modric.

5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Interesting view , as far as his importance well I can’t say for sure, I think he’s very important for both club and country, but that’s just me, as for football ability, well that’s all subjective IMO, I don’t think at any point either Luka or Ronaldo have the ability to defend like Varane, the technique that he posseses as a defender to do his job properly neither Luka or Ronaldo have, it’s a skill set, just like being able to be in the right place at the right time to score goals and the ability to control a midfield and direct the play, he is better as a player than both of them at doing his equally important job, no comparison, that’s how I look at it, it’s why I can never say who is the absolute best player on a “team” popular or famous maybe but “best” so many different parts have to work well to make the whole great to win.

Deep Pal, Shay Z, HZinho and 2 others repped this.
  6. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    Ronaldo showed up for 2 CL games entire season. That was it. His awful form killed our league chances early on so those 30 goals he scored in February and March mean absolutely nothing.

Forget Modric. There's other players on the team that was just as important in our CL campaign as two of them.

Last season was in reality bad on the pitch and our CL title was a scrappy one (not that I care). No one should get the plaudits.

Modric get's those stupid player awards because he captained little Croatia to the WC final. That's what sets him appart.

Deep Pal and fierro repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    The awful form of a guy we demand to score +50 goals a season killed our chances at winning the league?

Lol

Damn him! He should have scored 70!

Deep Pal, verde-rubro and yoanaidarov repped this.
  8. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technique, is just a fancy word for ball control (although a lot of other relevant and intricate factors come into play such as bringing a ball down out of the air at full speed while simultaneously coming to a stop, keeping balance, turning, and shielding the defender).

Good defending requires awareness decision making, and positioning (tactics) to go along with grit and determination. I think Ronaldo and Modric have the football intelligence and work ethic to succeed as defenders but it would be a waste of talent.

It's not a knock on Varane who is class through and through, but in the end I just don't think he contributes as much as Ronaldo or Modric; and if they all switched positions I don't think Varane would perform as well as Modric or Ronaldo.

WOW. I guess I can agree.

9. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    No, it is not a "fancy" word nor does it mean "ball control". It is a word which describes a mechanism to perform certain movement / action. In case of defending there are numerous techniques with and without the ball. Clearly good defender must master them besides three subsets of tactics: individual, group and team tactics.

As for Luka Modrić. Dude is great at defending - for a midfielder. While trying to draw a correlation with defender ( in terms of position ) Varane, well it is strange.

10. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fierro is really just making up crap at this point. Ronaldo can be a great defender? Did someone stick a flower in your head or something?

11. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He’s been a World Class midfielder in the past. Playing on the right side of a 4-4-2 for Man Utd. Check his performances in the 06/07 season when he first won player of the year. He was primarily a winger.

12. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know and for a period he was the best right winger in the world, by the end of his last season at ManU he was playing as a CF and if he was the best player in the world by then he had to be the best CF. I remember how much he reminded me of Raul wearing the no. 7 leading the line that last season. He went from a classic winger to out and out striker to a hybrid wing forward at Madrid.

People want to rewrite history and make him into this one dimensional player. One of my gripes about him for years is that by becoming 100% focused on goals only, he was wasting all these other attributes that would have made him the best player in any position (he's was a great passer and crosser and could do the tiki taka stuff, was strong and fast enough to be two way player).

13. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Obligatory "he's the all-time leader in CL assists and 2nd in Liga assists" reminder.

14. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be that as it may I always felt like if he had been a little bit more unselfish and more of a team player and our attack had a little more variety and unpredictability, they would have won even more trophies.

15. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Lionel Messi is the best CB if he played there. He would also be the best Goal Keeper if he was asked to play that position. Punto final.

Deep Pal repped this.
  16. Marco25

Marco25 Member

Sep 1, 2018
    He was still a winger most of the time till he left United from what I remember. The games you probably saw him playing CF were the big champions league games like against Arsenal in the semis and Barca in the final where they benched Berbatov and Tevez and pushed Rooney out wide to make him the focal point. In most games he was still playing out wide like a midfielder.

17. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  18. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Balon d Or next

Anon., saadomar, Ahmadi8 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Congratulations to the legend Luka Modric. Well deserved my compatriot.

20. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo is such a sore loser and crybaby. Can't even bother to show up just because he didn't win the prize. He was bothering to show up at ceremonies where Messi won it, but can't even do that for a former teammate.

My respect for him has significantly diminished. G.O.A.T. or not, as a human being he's seeming like a sour puss.

Deep Pal repped this.
  21. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Congrats to the best midfielder AND player in the world this year: Luka Modric!

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  22. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wouldn’t want to be around Ronaldo’s sister right now.

Deep Pal and Drouchk repped this.
  23. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Congrats my brother from another mother! GOAT!

J-Mezzy and gladiator guti repped this.
  24. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    His English is as smooth as his playing style. Well done.

Deep Pal and Drouchk repped this.
  25. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Me after Luka's speed at "The Best" awards: