Ideas for replacing shoot outs

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by benine, Aug 9, 2002.

1. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Sorry, i was looking for that website with that wonderful list of jokes that you swiped your bit of dialogue from. You know you are a massive no-lifer scouse when you FAKE stealing something...
    What, no more poor attempts at i-mockery or poo jokes? Get your penalties-middaytug in?

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That much is obvious...and that was my point..!!!:)
    As was this
    the 5-aside idea took me all of 3 minutes,

You've tried to make this into a US/UK debate.
    "I'm American therefore a free thinker and always right. While you are up tight rigid Brits"

All of us, US and the rest of the world would like to be rid of the PK ending BUT, as of now there is no better idea on the table.
    And that is including YOUR asinine attempt.
    Forget it...Get over it...!!!
    Sometimes you make excellent posts but you've made a fool of yourself on this one.

3. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    For the 12th time, I'm not saying that my idea is either the best, the most doable or even the most logical, but at least it's an idea which all the nay-sayers on the this post dont have the marbles to come up with. The title isnt "why benine's idea is king", it's IDEAS for replacing shootouts, so rather than taking the easy way out of being "oh, that idea is so stupid, penalties to determine a game is bad, but ohwell, stop that thinking thing". Jesus, its not that hard to just come up with an idea and its not as if I, or anyone else for that matter, has such an ego that what they post is absolute " I AM GOD, LISTEN TO ME!" opinion; just an idea.

and to clarify for you, the connection between couch potato/am.football and pks is, your right, well beyond me, i hope it made sense to you.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    HAHA!!! Nice edit. Took you significantly longer than three minutes to come up with that lot though, eh?

LOL! Plank ...

5. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

IF at the moment there was no way to decide a winner from a match after extra time was played. I for one WOULD suggest thgis idea on this very board. Prehaps i wouldnt hae thought of it, but if i read it somewhere , like local game or something i would have thought it was a good idea and i still do!

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think the 35-yard charge-the-keeper shootout is superior to PKs.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No it's not. It would favor certain players and certain teams who have built their team around technical superiority.

And "they should have bought more technically gifted players" is not an argument. Some clubs don't have the money to get these players. I think it is their right to defend a whole match, let it come to penalties and win.

8. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How about we let the players run from one end to the other end and the side that gets first six players to the other end wins.
    Players who didn't play entire extra time cannot participate. This way they will not randomly let a track player to play in the game.
    Of course in this way, the teams who used subs during extra time will be penalised, but hey, that's part of strategy.

9. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    You've tried to make this into a US/UK debate.
    "I'm American therefore a free thinker and always right. While you are up tight rigid Brits"

BUT ITS TRUE!!

Instead of an enertaining back and forth on a subject that everyone should have a imaginative idea or two on, the Brits, and even and Irishman! just stand pat and mouth the utter stupidity that "That is the way its always been, and it don't need changin'"

Well, first, for a game that is in its third century, an abomination called the Penalty Shoot out which came along in the 1980s, for crying out loud, HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN A PART OF FOOTBALL, YOU BRAIN DEAD JACKASSES!

Next, just suggesting a different way of doing things has exposed the British fear of change, creativity, and imagination. At least with the Brits who post on this thread. So, why not point that out? What is the harm in saying you folks have no imaginations, no creativity, and are deathly afraid of change. BECAUSE ITS TRUE!!

Look, I have been reading about how so many Brits hate Americans. I certainly don't mind if anyone, anywhere wants to argue with what our National government does wrong. That is a good thing. But, what I now understand is the growing hatred of America is actually a hatred of the free form, high risk, every one for themselves culture we have. Sure, our American culture has a lot of big problems, but when I hear foreigners belly ache that we take everything over, especially consumer goods, I just got to laugh. Come over here, jackasses, you have to look long and hard to find something made in the USA to buy as a consumer. Maybe, it is high time we turn off the spigot to the biggest damn party of all time, and ask you and your mates to spend your money and time on your cute little island. Remember, in this country, until WWduce, it was a regular part of every 4th of July civic event to have a speach that lambasted the British and their King. Maybe, we need to go back to that fine, old tradition.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So, what you're basically saying is that this whole thread is just a vehicle for you to indulge your lame preconceptions about the UK?

Well duuh ...

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    counterattack you're so full of ************. USA (and UK btw, but especially USA) folk are the most prudent, confused, unrealistic people in the world. So what are you talking about?

A country that makes a ************ing drama about singing the national anthem and swearing allegiance to flag... the conservatives running out of the capitol (or whatever) and quickly put the hand to the heart to sing the USA anthem, crying at the mere sight of their flag. No wonder you make so much movies... you have lost all grip on reality... Need I continue? I better not since there's only 17 years to go till 2019.
    In other words... stop slagging of the Brits, or anyone else for that matter. USA means ************ to me.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't technical superiority supposed to be a good thing to have?

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes but if a technically superior team can't beat a 'lesser' team in 120 minutes of play then the tie breaker should be made as even as possible within the confines of the game.

As it stands that's penalties.

14. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    Another alternative

First, no one really came up with any complaints that make any sense about having penalties before the game.

Added pressure? It's not every game, it's only in major finals. And, as I said, if a player misses, he has the whole game to redeem himself.

Plus, you have the added benefit of forcing one team to play attacking soccer from the get go.

Also, given that TV just cost English soccer a few million dollars, saying 'It makes bad TV.' isn't an argument I really care about. Maybe soccer needs to worry more about soccer and less about TV.

If you do care about TV then have the "Super Bambazo Pre World Cup Final Penalty Shoot Out" the day before the actual game. That gives the pundits a day to talk about, how starting the game a goal down/up will affect Brazil/Germany.

Okay, you don't like that idea. Then settle the match by awarding a point to the team with the fewest fouls. It's been done in one of those Brazilian cups or championships or something.

15. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Re: Another alternative

You say the payer has the whole game to redeem himself. This may be true for some players. But other tplayer will be under pressure to try and make up for the error. This will effect his game for the worse.

And it adds more penalties to a game which doesnt need anymore.

Having pre gAME PENALTIES IS NOT A SENSABLE OR PRACTICLE SOLUTION TO DECIDING AN OUTOCME OF A GAME. aS IF A TEAM WINS THE SHOOTOUT THEY CAN JUST PLAY OUT A DRAW, SHOT ON ABOUT (sorry for caps) 8 defenders and defend the whole game. It could pretty much kill cup games, and the urgancy to score before gooing to penalties from BOTH teams. Therefore spoiling the "cup" game. As you will probebly know cup games are alot different to league games in that they are faster and more end to end (in general).

This is the reason why it wont work. You can say what you like below...but in the end you know im right...

16. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

and the idea about fouls i dont personally like. i feel it would put too much pressure on the ref, as every little foul he may give could end up deciding the match, its not fair on the ref to put this added pressure on him, they have a hard enough itme as it is.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Another alternative

I already did. Peanalty kick shootout is a tiebreaker, as in last resort. It's not desirable but it's the only sensible (or the least arbitrary) option when there are none else. You don't use it unless absolutely necessary, and the only time it's necessary is at the end of 200 minutes of play and you need a winner that day.

Plus, having the shootout at the beginning of the match affects the match too greatly. At least by having the shootout at the end of the match, the first 90 minutes, then 30 minutes are played without the outcome of the shootout affecting the gameplay and the result.

Not sure why I'm responding to this most inane of ideas but oh well.

18. jeeeesus

jeeeesus New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    6 pages in and one good idea so far - move the penalty spot back 3 yards. or far enough to make a penalty a 50-50 chance to score... takes the sting out of the heroic goalie/scapegoat shooter thing.

and yes, creativity and imagination are good things, but you get no prizes for inventing a square wheel.

19. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

THAT is a GREAT idea, why not move it all the way to the 18? I mean, i for one dont practice shots from anywhere inside the 18 on training, and the players who do set up dead ball tries from inside the 18 are ripped on with Nelson-esq laughter. Putting it at the 18, or 15, would really demand more skill from both the shooter and the keeper. also, it would make the keepers jumping off the line not nearly as unfair as it does now.

GREAT IDEA!

Now it's time for Matt Clark to say "bah! we only have three players who can get the ball on frame from outside 12 yards!"

20. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i dont see the point you are getting at when you say move the pnalties back.

1) Penalties are hard enough
    2)i dont see how moving it back will change it greatly except more will miss.

21. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

vs a country who's only identity is open prositution, public drug use, tall people and windmills, i think we're doing okay.

Generalizations are fun, eh?

A fact that euros seem to always miss and a way to try and make it apparent:

Are the people in Lithuiania 100% like the people in Poland? Portugal? Denmark? no, not at all. America is bigger than the whole of Europe and just as different on both regional and cultural norms. The overriding image and politics of america is dominated exclusivley by big money, which make up a whopping .9% of the population of the states. So to base all the critiques of the US and "it's people" on just the wealthiest smiggion of people and the global and national problems that their greed creates is totally ************************************************ed up. You want to base images of the underprivalged as being Jerry Springer type people? sorry, thats Southwest Arkansas. We're all dramatic religious types who cry at our flag? Care to come to SoCal where kids openly use the flag as a snot rag? It would be akin to Americans calling ALL EUROPEANS racist sepratists due to mid 90s Austrian politics. There are just as many people within the US who dont want to touch Saddam, who arent 100% on who cracked the buildings, who REALLY understand why that happened and who HATE OUR PRESIDENT as there are people who carry these feelings in Europe. Now, because the news agencies with international pull are all the big money boys, you dont get that, you only hear of "americans crying in the street". We're one of the most populs countries in the world and to think that such a massive collection of people are ALL EXACTLY ALIKE is so damned inane and really lends to what Counterattack is saying, that maybe you all just love to hate as a whole rather than educate on what key parts of our country are so screwed up.

And if you dont understand the argument for seperation of church and state, maybe your friends across the channel can tell you about what happens when the priests are in bed with the kings.

22. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

The way it is now, using simple calc, the angle the percentage for goal area to convert a penalty is dramatically cut when he steps a foot or two off the line. When you move the spot back, the player and keeper both lose a certain bit of comfort by forcing a better placed, harder shot and the keeper wouldn't really be gaining anything by taking a step in. You'd see more fantastic saves, more skilled shots and over all probably lower tallys to win PKs, like 2-1 instead of 5-4. How can that be wrong to require more skill?

Penalties, as they are now, are not too hard (at least speaking on my non-professional level) and are only made hard by people who try and either do too much with them or fold under pressure. If you calmly put a ball, on the ground, within a foot or so of either post, there really isnt much besides outstanding keeping/cheating that can prevent that goal. Now if a player goes top 90 and misses and complains about how hard it is, then it's their own lack of skill and piss poor judgment to blame. See here Baggio.

23. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

yes but with 30000+ people watching you take the penalty not everyone can handle the pressure. as we have seen down the years. Even the best strikers have all missed penalties

24. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    You really are a prat (or a sock puppet) aren't you ?. Did Mary Poppins and the Oliver Twist films make a deep impression on you ?. Yeah, all us British people are rigid, wear bowler hats and pinstripes, live in London and worship the monarchy :rolleyes:. Please get an education before you post here again in order not to look like such a mindless xenophobic tit.

25. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Hey dude,
    'Prat?', 'Sock Puppet'?, 'Xenophobic Tit?'
    I laughed so hard beer shot out my nose.
    Why do I have the image of Laurel and Hardy in my mind, now? Mmmmm?

By the way, the USMT broke into the bogus FIFA top ten. Well, it was bogus. Meantime,
    watch that language you British Rump Ranger, or your going to get a good flogging and a good buggering.

See ya.