Idea for team rebrand for 2012: Magic City SC

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by drSoFlaFan, Jul 15, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I first heard that this team was going to be called I, and probably everyone, hated it and thought it was a joke. I went to a game with a couple of other Strikers supporters back in May(we were the guys with the drums, we played Philly and won as I recall). It's really a shame that the world class athletes and the soccer fans are subjected to the whim of Dan and his no-frills approach.

Anyway the best name for the club I think would be "Magic City SC". It's the nickname of Miami, and it keeps the "Magic" in there to keep Dan happy. I know they don't play in Miami, and in my opinion they never should, as it's a graveyard for men's soccer, and I can't imagine the ladies would do any better. But it's still close enough to get away with using the name.

Colors are the same as the Strikers, this would create some solidarity in the soccer community down here, and it would allow us supporters to bring all our gear(scarves, flags, etc.) and match with the WPS club.

I also think it would be great if they could move one or two of their games to Lockhart to bring in some larger crowds to welcome back the WWC heroes. Most effectively would be to move the July 30th match to Lockhart, and play it before the Strikers game that's at 7:30. I'd love to go up to Boca for another match, but I'm not missing a Strikers game to do it. Same goes for most of the big time supporters.

Thoughts anyone?

[​IMG]

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a vast improvement over "magicJack" but that's not saying much.

3. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I just found out today that there was a WPS team in Florida, I had no idea where the heck Magic Jack was. I can't imagine I'm the only one, this really was a terrible idea for a team name.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, he named the team after his company which is probably footed the entire bill.

When I went to the game against the Atlanta Beat, I talked to some of the fans and they said that this guy does no advertising and the only reason they found out was because they happened to read the local paper and there was an article on the team.

Also I didn't see a single sign on FAU campus that said "WPS game today" or "Magicjack vs. Atlanta Beat game today" or "This way to soccer field" or anything to that affect. I had to drive around campus to find the field.
    And barely found it because the field is sort of hidden. I had to stop and ask.

This is just a bizzare situation and we all have towatch it play out and see what happens at the end of the season.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How many eyeballs he gets that matter from naming the team MagicJack after his company? Where's the marketing and benefit to naming them MagicCity? MJ grows on you.

He has the Sahlen problem. Spend a truck load on free food, a stadium, etc and get 1200 a game. He spends nothing and gets 800-900 a game. They're both writing the teams off of their company books, bigger writeoff Salhen this yr for sure. Taking bets he cuts back next season if there is one.

You guys talk alot on the show, not always accurate about MJ. Please research them before some of the comments. Have you got together with the strikers, since you seem to go to all their games and know management, to approach MagicDan about those games?

WC ends Sunday.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for the record, the worst attendance I can find for a Flash home game is 2164, which is probably twice what MagicJack is averaging.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The MJ vs. WNY game on Wed. August 10th in Boca Raton, FL, I'm sure will be a sell-out.

Marta again vs. Team USA.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Western New York Flash
    Boston Breakers
    Sahlen's Stadium, Rochester, NY
    3 - 2
    BOX

i think this was the game he was giving away 1lb of hot dogs to first 2000. maybe some people got 2lbs. he's spending a lot, and magicDope isn't, but they aren't that far apart some weeks in attendance. obviously, abby games up the numbers in rochester. dan has the biggest stars from the NT. he said he'd pick up after the WC. lets see.

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ooh. What time is this match? I'm tempted..I really am..

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    7:00 pm

I would by the ticket now. There will be a whole lot of interest for that game.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i'm at MJ vs the Beat. should be a packed house.

12. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Anybody know what's up with tickets now? I was actually planning a road trip down for WNY and Philly games. I see that you can now get tickets through Ticketmaster, which I'm not sure was an option when I was down there earlier this year. I also noticed there are two different prices now: $10 and $18. It's just bleachers and grass there, why the different prices? Maybe $18 gets you a spot on the bench (or coach for the day). Guess I'll just order tickets and find out when I get there, but if someone knows, please give me a heads up.

PS - Sorry for the thread hiJack :)

13. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thanks.

I was actually contemplating going the WNY away match in Atlanta. Since Magic Jack = Team USA, I'll probably opt for Atlanta instead. LOL. :cool:

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason (well, maybe I know the reason), that number isn't on the WPS website, which is the only place I looked. But we'll see what happens in the long run. Be interesting to see what Borislow does if suddenly thousands of people start wanting to see MagicJack at home.

15. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    By sell-out, do you mean all 200 seats plus the standing room? ;) Maybe Dan will make the field 10x10 to make room for the extra spectators.

I just can't believe he's started calling the USWNT "his" team. ick.

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if i'm correct, at the beginning of the season, they said the field could expand to 3000 + grass seating.

Could he move games to a larger stadium if there is a demand to see the nationals, and he has the most important ones on his roster?

would the university do it if it's a revenue share deal? i'm sure the pres and AD wouldn't have a problem with that since they are a yr off from a REAL stadium. they'd recoup some nice cash if the nationals draw 5-7k a game to finish the season plus a potential play off game or two.

17. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    These are great points; I just hope he really tries to make the most of it. It has seemed as if he doesn't care about making money or at least not enough to put the work in or to hire someone who will (website, press, advertising). I do think there will be much more interest in the team now - not just because of new WNT fans, but those in Florida who were already fans but didn't know the team existed.

18. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Clearly ego is more important than money and if he can instantly start pulling 3k+ to his games, he will absolutely make the most of that, just for the opportunity to puff his chest out a little more.

19. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a dumbass if he doesn't try to capitalize on their worldwide stardom. I think if people knew they played down here, at least some people would show up just to get autographs, I know I am. I never knew a team even existed down here.

He has Hope and Abby the Silver and Bronze ball, plus the Golden glove winner in the WWC. A great performance in the WWC too, watched by millions. How many people fell in love with this team? He can't some money out of that?

Is it legal to make a flyer, or whatever and pass it out at FAU at least. Advertise with the students , I'm sure many of them don't even know. Trust me, I acutally go to school there. ( though mostly their south campus in Davie)

Or we can drop it off at some strategic places in Ft. Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines? We need to get the word out. Can someone post a nice flyer, with the teams name and maybe a schedule, also inclued the face s of the big 3. ( I suck at photoshop)

I can print them out and pass them around. Lets go grass roots.