I'd like to see one these players to a top European League

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by worldfootballgenius, Jul 9, 2017.

1. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me, or does it feel like there are just generally less Americans playing for top flight clubs in Europe?

The days of Fulhamerica come to mind, when there were 3 american goalkeepers starting for their clubs in the prem. It seems like most Americans in Europe are either playing for youth squads (because they're young), or are dual-nationals (like most of the Americans playing in Germany).

I'm surprised, I figure it'd only increase over time, but it seems to have dried up a little bit.

I'd love to see 1 or 2 good young MLS americans make the jump overseas this summer or winter, and working their way into the starting lineup (memories of Bocanegra/Dempsey/McBride to Fulham or Clint Mathis to Hanover 96).

I feel these players are among the best candidates (feel free to add, or disagree, just a preliminary list):

Kelyn Rowe (Revs)
    Bill Hamid (DC United)
    Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas)
    Sebastian Lletget (Galaxy)
    Gyasi Zardes (Galaxy)
    Darlington Nagbe (Timbers)
    Tommy Thompson (Earthquakes)
    Harry Shipp (Sounders)
    Jordan Morris (Sounders)
    Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)

Let's go Europe, take a chance on one of these guys!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I think MLS "3.0" significantly reduced the chances of a new Fulhamerica. Remember that Morris turned down a top league shot for the Sounders. I think Europe is a harder sell among fringe players these days.

3. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know there's been a push to keep our players here, and that the league is appealing enough to stay here, but I think we can split the difference a little bit. I'd still like to see at least a couple of our younger brightest talent go over there and compete. England made Dempsey into the player he is today, it'd be nice if we had a few more. :)

Jordan Morris was offered Werder Bremen, but I think that was a youth deal. After another year at Sounders it'd be nice if they bought him for their senior team, I'd like to see that more, I feel that rarely happens these days.

Beasley going to PSV, Jozy going to Villareal, there's no reason that's stopped. Taylor Twellman speaks about letting our young players go to Europe (specifically with Cycle Latin), Rafa Marquez brought up the same issue with young Mexican players.

Would you guys be against that?

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Two MLS players likely to go to Europe eventually are Canadians Larin and Davies.

5. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see that, but MLS will have to let them go, hopefully they'll do that.

I'm sure CSA would prefer them to be in Europe over MLS.

6. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Surely MLS will let them go at the right price.

7. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    @worldfootballgenius

I just noticed you are from NY. If you are American and support MLS, why are you so eager to see young talent leaving?

8. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support our national team. Our league should be a place for Americans and Canadians to play in, or come home to. But if they've got chops, I wanna follow their careers in Europe. They should be playing for Champions League clubs day in and day out. I just find it odd that it seems to have reverted from 10 years ago. There's only going to be two Americans in the prem next year? How many Canadians?

9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does kind of feel like we are in a holding pattern while the MLS improves and expands. I think the best 21-24 year olds now chose to stay here over the potential for glory overseas. I think the possibility of playing on a U23 team until your contract runs out pales in comparison to making a solid living at home and getting consistent first team minutes in MLS for a lot of players nowadays.

As far as the premier league goes, keep in mind that guys like Altidore, Lletget, and Shea were there and came back. Regardless of the reasons why they didn't make it, I think a lot of Americans have a negative view of playing in the premier league now. I know the issues with getting a visa in England are a big part of that. There are some guys in England like Danny Williams, Luca de la Torre, Lynden Gooch, Emerson Hyndman, and a few others who just haven't gotten much of a chance in the premier league for one reason or another. Also, Brooks Lennon is still with Liverpool and on loan at RSL.

Germany seems to be much more appealing to players right now than the Premier League. It will be interesting what happens in the next year or two because I think there are a couple guys who could move over there. Walker Zimmerman has been looked at by Hoffenheim recently and I could really see Acosta, Tyler Adams, and Justin Glad eventually moving to Germany, too.

Eric Palmer-Brown had a great season debut for SKC and he has supposedly had a lot of European interest recently. His contract is up in January so he might be on the move soon.

But it seems like the new trend is going to be for players to go the Josh Sargent route and wait until they turn 18 before moving overseas. I'm sure some of the U17 players who are either homegrowns like Andrew Carleton or Chris Goslin or just academy players like Ayo Akinola could also eventually go to Europe.

So maybe we don't have a lot of first team players there now, but with Pulisic, Schalkamerica, Mukwele Akale at Villarreal, Josh Perez at Fiotentina, and a lot of up and coming MLS first team and academy players that are getting noticed, there is the possibility for an explosion in the very near future.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benefits
    - Better coaching (in some leagues)
    - Higher standard of football
    - The US and Canadian national teams benefit which in turn gives more credibility to soccer over here
    - There's the possibility of bringing them back more experience and better players while they're still in their 20s. Ream makes $1.3 million allegedly and Lichaj probably makes the same, so there's there's the possibility of bringing them back as DPs.

Thinking outside the US box, Alphonso Davies, Cyle Larin and Raheem Edwards.
    No, not Jack Harrison please!

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Jesus FN.....I never get this type of statement. MLS has overwhelmingly allowed players to go, if they wanted to, and the price was fair. Especially over this last decade or so.

I know there are kids and/or folks who hate MLS, because you know they so smart, hip and cool, or who only care about the Nats, and how dare MLS want a fair price for their players.....I want them in Europe for my own sake dammit!!! MLS is a repressive prison!

Of course these people overlook all of the same stuff that happens in Europe....and a lot worse than MLS does (Shane O Neil, Keaton Parks, Bjorn Mars Johnson come to mind in the last 12 mths), but Europe is so sophisticated everywhere...they are allowed to treat players like objects and scum.

If they want to go and MLS gets a fair deal they will let them. There have been several players who wanted to transfer where the lil kids screamed when MLS didn't blindly accept the first offer. Repressive pieces of garbage holding players hostage! The alll got transferred for more money. Shocking!

Of course MLS has caught the rage of the ignorant and children for not letting some players go.....I mean they gave them a lot more money to stay here! Those players agreed of their own free will. Stupid repressive MLS!

Ismitje, monere, CakeYear and 2 others repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm happy if good players on all MLS teams other than DC United go to Europe, Costa Rica or wherever.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Based on this season that would just mean "all good MLS players can go"? :D Sorry. Too easy. (even if it two weeks later)

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Some Bundesliga club is after Zimmerman.

Hamid needs to be in Europe pronto.

I figure post WC Morris will go overseas

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoffenheim last I heard

16. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we JUST PAID THE PRICE!

Our NT has suffered.

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I hear MLS is folding now.

Beerking and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To punish Panama and Honduras?

The Franchise and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I heard it's punishment for offering overseas players contracts.

20. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not American but I think Ola Kamara will be going soon. All of his Crew SC goals.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    back to Norway? or maybe a mid-tier league?

22. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Larin (Orlando)

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Besiktas was interested

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't think the sky is falling after the WC debacle. But one area where the failure will be noticed is the marketability of the American player. It was already difficult for an American player to get noticed by a top 10 UEFA league. Some of those top 10 leagues don't even acknowledge the existence of American players. Now it's only going to get harder.

There was a period where Scotland, Scandinavia, Austria or Switzerland would have been considered good paths. But today that means taking a step down from MLS in terms of quality. Small leagues like that are also an easy way to fall off the National Team's radar. Just not a good deal.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur.
    We shouldn't be losing top talent to Scaninavian leagues or so. Maybe the likes of Belgium or Eredivisie pick up our youth talent but our best guns should always aim for a top 5 league. Not enough big games to showcase themselves currently.