I'd like to see all intentional fouls be yellow cards....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by The Wanderer, Jun 1, 2003.

1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    even if they are not reckless or use excessive force.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't they already have autmotic booking for professional fouls (or at least they're supposed to)? And professional fouls on goal scoring chances get you an automatic red.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Perhaps they do, but it's not always called. Reds tend to only happen when the last defender fouls someone. Sorry if that's what you meant with goal scoring chances....

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yes, that's what I meant.

I guess my point was that if a ref thinks a foul was intentional then a yellow or a red is always given, but refs can't always make that determination, if that makes sense.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some games have over 30 foul calls.... there would be many reds. For the WC Finals(2 yellows = sus[pension), many teams might struggle to field players in the later rounds.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good...!
    If the players knew they would get suspended and their team would suffer. Then you wouldn't see as many intentional fouls and you get a better, more flowing game. If they did foul then they deserve it.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But even if a smooth-running game has 20 fouls, it meant every single game probably have at least 1 ejection. You know what a team does when playing 1 man down.... I will see alot of boring cautious game. You know.... foul is something inavoidible.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I really think reds should only be given to overthetop excessive fouls, as well as last-defender situations. Yellows, however, should always be a threat to any player who is purposely fouling someone. I guarantee you will see more smooth flowing games and less hacking.

9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    From USSF Advice to Referees, 12.28.1, Unsporting Behavior, one of the reasons for a caution is: "Commits a tactical foul designed to interfere with or impede an opposing team’s attacking play (e.g., pushing an opponent, holding an opponent or an opponent's uniform, handling the ball deliberately)"

Sounds like this so-called professional foul to me, one that doesn't meet the criteria for Denies an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity.

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    What pisses me off are deliberate obstruction fouls. Those are the ones that should be yellows, because the SOB didn't make any attempt to play the ball.

If guys got yellows more often the game would flow more because the SOBS wouldn't fouls as much knowing they'd be gone with two deliberate ones.

11. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    What really makes me mad in this sport is when you deak someone out at around the center and the field has opened up for you, then the guy grabs your shirt or kicks your heels and the ref calls a free kick at the center line.

Free kick at the center line, great, that was worth getting beaten in the mud for.

This always happens to me when I play!
    I wish so much that they would call it a yellow!

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    When do they get called? It seems to me they call this when it denies a clear advantage.

The South American teams have turned the tactical foul into an art form. They will do this any place on a field to deny an advantage or build up. The U.S. is way behind them in this skill.

13. boofdog18

boofdog18 New Member

did i surf into bighockey.com by mistake?

14. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    . . . or they would stop committing so many fouls!

there was a time when defenders on the goalline would dive with outstretched arms to block a ball that got past the goalie. so what if you gave up a penalty kick on a ball going straight into the goal? that stopped when in addition to the penalty kick the diving defender received a red card.

no reason to believe that this kind of change wouldn't also have a deterrent impact on the commission of fouls, which i thought was the purpose of the proposal in the first place. if we ever went this route, i would think we would want to reconsider how we treat accumulated yellow cards over a course of multiple games, but i think i'd generally be in favor of a rule change that put an end to this kind of tactical fouling and allowed the more creative plays to end with a shot on goal rather than a free kick outside the box.

15. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    Thank you for stating this thread.

I really want to see pulling shirt or body gets an automatically yellow (at the minimum).

I know that most of the world still pull their opponent shirts, and I think FIFA has a role to imprve the game here. If one wants to use hands, play goalie or basketball. For soccer fields players, no hands.

16. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    No kidding. Thanks, ref. In order to punish them you gave their entire defense time to set up. ;)

I think jersey tugging is just plain wrong. Even in the U.S.-Germany game where the German defender held Berhalter's jersey and let go before he hit the ball, he should have been carded. Same goes for the jersey tugging the U.S. players did. Tactical fouls obstruct the flow of the game, and by not giving a yellow they don't do anything to punish the guy who got beat fair and square and resorted to hacking.

17. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is...

The rules work. If the referees, me included, would call the games tighter, the teams would play cleaner. Teams will adjust their play to the strictness of the referee. And if they don't they'll suffer. Maybe they'll learn their lesson. If not, they must be stupid.

The same goes for the international game. I hate seeing the crap on the field that passes for fair/safe play.

My gripe, is that if we would clean the game up, the game would flow properly and create awesome opportunities for a display of skill. Imagine a gifted ball control midfielder, able to juke and pirouete with out getting his ankles broken or jersey held. Don't think that I want to rule out contact. I was a defender after all. But this would allow more skill to be shown and less hockey on the field.

That being said, the catch-22 is that if the referees call a tight game, the players complain that the referee is looking for TV time and he's not letting the game flow. (If he's calling fouls, don't foul you idiot! Or are you so lacking in skills that you can't play any other way?)

The other side is, opening up the skill game, and I believe as a result, more scoring.(Yes! more bloody scoring!) Oh, and maybe even fewer injuries to your beloved team and hence longer careers for your favorite player. Course the same goes for your dreaded rival across town/pond.

18. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, then maybe we won't have Kappa design those hideously ugly kits of theirs....

19. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What I'd REALLY like to see carded is players who stand about six inches from the ball after a foul then act like they don't know that it isn't ten yards. A close second is players who run up from the wall before the ball is touched.

I jumped and cheered when I watched a Spanish league game and a ref actually carded a player for doing the latter. It's about time someone cracked down on that s***.

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really agree with you here. The one thing that's been bugging me lately is how players from the team that committed the foul gain advantage by preventing a quick restart. If we wanted timeouts and players standing around, there are plenty of other sports we could watch.

I think any player that moves towards the ball to prevent a quick kick should automatically get a yellow. You'll see how quick players will stop doing that after a few cards are thrown.

21. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    Is there any interest in orgainizing a group to petition US Soccer, MLS, FIFA to clean up the game?

I personally really hate shirt tucking and throwing elbow and hate them enough to feel like doing something about it.