IC 3: One Scolari down, one more to go!

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Holy shit. Case closed

2. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't really like the Sawx or Boston fans all that much, but I love seeing them stuff the Yankees time after time. Maybe Suzyn Waldman will start crying on the air again:D

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The New Englander who loves the Yankees. I hate her and her stupidly spelled name.

And for the record having the MLB Package this year has given me a MAJOR man-crush on Joe Mauer. Best player in baseball. Yes I said it and it's true. I would take him over anyone else.

4. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Damn right it's true. Joe Mauer is an animal and finally found his power this season. AL MVP right now but a lot will depend on how competitive the Twins stay. Speaking of them, how disappointing is Liriano turning out? Another great young pitcher ruined by arm trouble.

Yanks have made it very interesting down the stretch, let's see if the supposed greatest bullpen evar can hold the lead.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's also just not a good pitcher. He's a thrower which is probably why he has arm trouble. He's constantly trying to throw harder and harder. They don't understand guys like Moyer PITCHES while they THROW. Homey Bailey of the Reds has the same problem.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect Albert Pujols> everyone, and it really isn''t that close, at all, Mauer wasn't event he AL's best player last season.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Give me one player, I am taking Mauer. + Average, + XBH, + defense, + leader. His power will develop, it always does in young players who hit a lot of doubles. Best player in baseball. I'd want no one else to start a team around.

I still doubt the legitimacy of Pujols but I am not a blogger so it won't be on ESPN all day tomorrow.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pujols has a higher career average. Im sure has more XBH as his slugging percentage is 200 points higher, and his defense at 1B is actually very good. I don't know what kind of defense we're talking for a catcher, his throwing percentage is pretty good, and leadership? How is one qualifying that? He's never proven anything in terms of leading his team to any kind of success what so ever. Pujols is at least proven a clutch hitter, regular or postseason.

A lot of the best doubles hitters like George Brett Molitor, Ripken, Rose, Yaz(did have 3 spikes in his totals) developed ok power but nothing special.

162 game averages
    .334 .426 .625 .1051 42 HR 128 RBI 92 Walks 66 Strikeouts
    .323 .405 .476 .881 15 HR 91 RBIs 86 Walks 69 ks

Mauer could throw a no hitter this week and still wouldn't be in Pujols' ball Park.

9. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Give me Delino Deshields any day.

10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    x2

Plus we only gave up a so-so pitcher for him.

Okay, so Pedro went on to win 3 Cy Young's and a ring but we got a future member of the Delware Hall of Fame baby. Ooh yeah. Delino DeBomb DeShields.

[​IMG]

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You also think he's about 33 right?

I love Mauer, he's a stud, but I'm not annointing him the best in baseball right now. If his power develops then he'll be up there, but it hasn't peaked yet. His power isn't trending upwards steadily either. If anything it went down the last two years and is cresting again (too early to say if he sustains a 1.26 OPS, but smart money says that will come down).

And if you're going on potential, Hanley Ramirez has a lot of ability and great numbers already. If he can get his plate discipline set, he'll be one of the top 3 regularly. Depends on how much you value glove work I guess. - I do value it, but I can find great defensive players more cheaply than great power players who hit for average and run the bases.

And if I'm building a franchise, I'm looking at Ramirez before Mauer - though I'd ask Mauer to catch for me :)

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Think in relation to the period. That is a more than respectable HR total for the time.

You're right, you can't measure heart. Well you could measure of their hearts but then we'd have to kill them, thereby rendering the debate moot.

I don't like Pujols. Ask Limey, from his first year I doubted his age and legitimacy. I am still shocked that he's never questioned.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Your opinion can no longer be considered. Ramirez....sheesh. Walter, help me out here.

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best Shortstop in baseball, sorry.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Doh! I thought he meant Manny. (Corky Thatcher DER!)

16. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL Delino DeShields' name I haven't heard in a while.

Being a Cubs fan ********in sucks... as usual:(Best rotation in baseball by 20 miles and we score 1 run a game.

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Give me some credit, read the whole f***ing post!!

Thank you, voice of reason!

You fool :p

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    10:45pm and my neighborhood just turned into a Beer Garden. All my neighbors are in the street drinking and laughing. Lord Stanley, allow me to introduce you to Mr. Crosby. I think you'll be seeing a lot of each other.

19. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    F'n A man. F'n A. Congrats. I just got saw your text right now!

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Congrats Gary Bettman, you may stop fellating Crosby now. Just try and look neutral because it was obvious tonight.

Pittsburgh Penguins, shit club no history. 11 Stanley Cups that's what we call history.

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How gracious of you. History? You sound like a Liverpool fan.

Glad to see Hossa get what he deserved

Grats Eddie.

I'm still dumb founded everytime someone actually thinks bettman or Stern or any commish fixes championships.

22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :rolleyes: Yes because taking less money is traitorous.

And I hace every right to brag about it. 11 cups. Boston has what five/ pffft.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You rant like a child when things aren't going your way huh?

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

25. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Oh everyone just shut the puck up.