I went to the Connection/Harbour View game

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Kick The Ball, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Hello guys, just want you to know that I went to the Connection/Harbour View game, it was a very excited one I must say, we had at least 8,500 people packed into the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, South Trinidad.

Overall Connection proved to be the better team and I'm not saying this because I am from Trinidad, I'm being honest as possible, Harbour View had a few good touches especially in the first half, their number #10 player I think his name is Hue, well he had some nice touches and also the guy who scored the goal (Williams ?) came on and had some nice touches as well, but overall Harbour View was playing very indiscipline and looked scrappy at times, they couldn't keep the ball at their feets for too long, but still looked dangerous at times (very few times though), W Connection did good to lock down the HV attack, the few they had.
    Connection started a little shaky but it took the about 6 minutes to settle in and after that it was trouble, they should have scored atleast 5 goals, Arnold Dwarika missed 3 good clear shots on goal.
    Silvio Spann (T&T), Reynold Carrington (T&T), Arnold Dwarika (T&T), Earl Jean (St Lucia) and Brazlians Jose Luiz Seabra and Ronaldo Viana was a cut above the rest, pure class.

After all this guys, I hope that if W Connection do go through to the next rounds that both Connection and Jamaica's Arnett Gardens take good care of those MLS teams and send them home early, the only thing those MLS teams can do is hope for snow or freezing rain so they can take advantage of the Caribbean teams.

ps; W Connection lose their professional league title to San Juan Jabloteh, which is a much better and compact team, I am just mad Jabloteh is not entering this cup or else trouble will arrise.

I wonder how do teams qualify for this cup in the first place ??? can anyone help.

2. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is there any result from W Connection v US Robert out yet.

3. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Bro, you don't know what you say. There are two MLS teams from California. The coldest it will get for a match is about 50 degrees. So the Carribeans can look forward to a strong California Challenge. Just hope neither draws LA or San Jose. Also, did Connection seal the deal???

4. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not likely considering our 2nd division is better than the 1st division in both Jamaica and Trinidad. If any of those players were MLS caliber they'd already be over here.

5. Shatta

Shatta New Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Inglewood California
    Too funny, you made my day crazy Yank! Most players in Jamaica and Trinidad aspire to play in England.

Saying that if they were good enough they would be already in the MLS isn't neccessarily true. In case you don't know many caribbean players are wary of MLS contracts and the restrictions it put on players moving on.

I will say that Lowe and Stern John were allowed to move on to England but at times those contracts can be a sticking point.

I can name 2 players who left from our league to England
    Ricardo Fuller went to D1 team
    Jermaine Johnson went to Bolton a premeirship team

and Robert Scarlett who left from Harbor View to a champions league team(Spartak Moscow) before coming back home because of the treament he got in Moscow.

So yes our league isn't up there with the MLS but we are on our way

respect

6. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    Re: Re: I went to the Connection/Harbour View game

I saw Arnold Dwarika played against the U.S. and i'm and sure he a much better player than your average MLS player. He can play in any league in the world.

7. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Re: Re: Re: I went to the Connection/Harbour View game

I totally agree with your post, you anbd Shatta made some good points.

8. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If so, then why isn't he?

9. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I went to the Connection/Harbour View game

He was offered 2 contracts, one by Blackpool of England and one from Scotland, but turned them down to stay in T&T, dont ask me why.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever the case, Arnold Dwarika doesn't represent the average T&T league player, any more than Landon Donovan or Clint Mathis represents the average MLS player... and I don't think anyone will claim that Dwarika is better than Donovan.

11. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I went to the Connection/Harbour View game

FYI: I didnot say Dwarika was better than Donovan or Mathis, Dwarika [dreadlocked playmaker] is mainly an outright attacking midfielder or midfield player more than he is a striker, when he plays for T&T he plays in these 2 positions, not as a striker, or very rearly.
    Landon Donovan and Clint Mathis are more profolic goal scorers than Dwarika especially Donovan, you cannot compare them to Dwarika, he plays in a different role to Mathis and Donovan.
    Dwarika can create plays for strikers to score, he's fast and can dribble very well, however Donovan is also a top class player [as a striker nothing else] as for Mathis he play's with great confidence and this helps him alot.

I remember watching the T&T/JA game in 2001 and Dwarika, who replaced maverick midfielder Russell Latapy in the starting line-up, was in irresistible form.
    Soon after the kick off, the dreadlocked playmaker signalled his intentions by impudently flicking the ball over the head of Jamaican veteran Fitzroy Simpson, who promptly bundled him over.
    Micah Hyde, who plies his trade with English First Division team Watford, was next to be embarrassed by Dwarika’s dazzle—five minutes before Stern John’s lone goal.
    The Boyz midfielder was left clutching air after Dwarika dragged the ball past him and two more Jamaicans were left in his wake before he hooked his shot wide at the far post.
    T&T were humming and it seemed the resignation of star players Latapy and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke and the sacking of coach Ian Porterfield a day before this game were finally forgotten, Dwarika also had an outstanding game aganist USA November 2001.

ps; I would love to see a CONCACAF allstar team with all these players in action.