I was wondering which irish team i should support i started a thread

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Giallorossiguy, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Giallorossiguy

Giallorossiguy New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Hello i started this thread to try and find out which irish team i should support Any Suggestions!?

2. YankExile

YankExile New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    That depends. What brings you looking for a club in Ireland you can back? If you're of Irish descent (I'm guessing from your context you aren't actually from Ireland), try choosing a team from the area of Ireland you can trace your roots back to. That's what I did, and why I root for Cork City. If not, maybe look at the kits around the league, and find one that strikes your fancy. But the team you choose is best when you choose them for your own reasons, not because others say "Here, root for these guys." Find whichever one captures your heart is all I can say.

3. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
    My background is in County Clare any teams there?

4. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    If your from County Clare the nearest team to you is Galway United. There are no teams in Clare itself. Limerick would have been your closest team but they folded a few months ago.

This is a good time for you to become a Galway fan because they recently turned proffessional this year. Along with my team Derry City and Drogheda United they are one of only three professional teams in Ireland.

I have to warn you though. Speaking from a lot of experience, supporting an Irish soccer team can be extremely disheartening. The domestic league is in a terrible state due to the fact that most people prefer to support teams in England and Scotland spending hundreds of pounds on these foreign teams while not spending a cent on their local teams. The mentality of these people is disgraceful!!

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. I just joined this website today.

5. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Its corny as ******** but I'd say just support whatever team your heart leads you to, that how I wound up here

6. YankExile

YankExile New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    There is a new team in Limerick setting up however, going as Limerick 37. Wouldn't they be closer than Galway if Limerick FC would have been?

7. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    yea your right, there is a new limerick team which i didnt know about. i still wouldnt recomend following them though. football has never really caught the imagination down there. Its a rugby and hurling town.

8. scotty-corkcityfc

scotty-corkcityfc New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    Support Cork City!:D We now have the nicest stadium, the biggest fan base and a nice Irish green jersey! We have fans every few months who fly from Bologna to support us as well as fans from Berlin and Munich!

Our ex players are Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Alan Bennett (All Reading FC), Danny Murphy (Motherwell), George O'Callaghan (Ipswich Town)

Currently star players include Roy O'Donovan, Mick Devine, Joe Gamble!

9. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Yea support Cork if you want a team who allow Reading to pull their pants down and F#ck them from behind. (no offence scotty)

How much did you's get for bennet?

If i was a Cork fan I would be so angry about the money you recieved for Long and and Doyle. As a hardcore eircom league fan it drives me mad!

Whats being done with Turners Cross? Any pictures? I heard they were gonna do work 2 years ago but it didnt seem like there was much activity in that department last season.

10. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    I wish City fans thought like you
    Heres a pic of our new stand! Almost built! All seater on four sides of the ground now!

http://ccfcforum.com/index.php?ind=gallery&op=foto_show&ida=9

11. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
    Kevin Doyle is the best and to think reading keep raiding a team of such good players makes ********ing mad:mad:

12. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
  13. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
    Thinkin ill go with Galway United

[​IMG]

Looks like a good team

14. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
  15. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
  16. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    Nah Bucky hasnt a clue :)

Here is what I made when we beat Limassol in the Champions League in Cyprus (2-1) agg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OVYy3Rnbc

and this is our title winning season
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7164799224699627017&q=cork+city+fc

oh and if you wanna know what its like to be a Cork City fan
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8660710387029437021&q=cork+city+fc

But if you choose Derry City its ok, we get on very well with Derry City fans! Its usagainst the Dubs as they say! ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ! Teenage Kicks eh?:D

17. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    D-C-F-C Allez Allez Allez!

yea two groups of fans do get on well! The league is so much better now than the bad old days when the dublin teams dominated!

18. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
    Derry City or Cork City Derry City or Cork City Drogheda United or Shelbourne Dunkirk or Galway United I swear im going to lose my mind

19. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    Dunkirk?? Isnt that in France :D

Dont pick Drogheda United, they are inbred with a rubbish team, a rubbish stadium and rubbish fans.

If you chose one of Cork City, Derry City or Galway United, you certainly cant go wrong. The fans are great, we all mix together

(I ended up in Derry twice last season, best time ever even though we lost twice :D )

But stay away from the Dublin teams, nothing but trouble my friend!

20. Giallorossiguy

Feb 2, 2007
    hey Maybe i should support all three

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Why is it necessary to root for any of them?

22. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    Same reason you support Newcastle United I suppose!

23. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Umm not entirely.

I didn't already have 2 teams and go looking for another based on my heritage. If I were to pick a team based on my Irish lineage I couldn't because Limerick's team disappeared. I digress, I just don't see the point in basically trying so hard to pick an Irish club team. If you're Irish support the NT and cheer for Irish teams in Europe. No reason to go on a hunting trip to find a club to call your own. Clubs find you not the other way around.

24. scotty-corkcityfc

Jan 19, 2007
    Cork City, Ireland
    Ahem Limerick 37 do exist!

ALthough yeah I dont get this picking and chosing teams! Every one in Ireland does this with Celtic, Man Utd, Liverpool etc! You should support your home town!

25. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Where was it I read Limerick's original team went belly up? Or did they just move?

My point was why try and pick and have one team from every country or have a team in a couple countries, doesn't that kind of eliminate the point? I mean I have pet teams that I look out for and have a jersey or 2 but everyone has their # 1 team.

Edit: Just did a little reading on Limerick FC's problems and I still don't get it. Why did they not give them a license? It said they couldn't meet some criteria but it didn't elaborate.