News: "I want to do it differently" - OTT[R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's going to be fascinating to see if Klopp ever chooses to work for one of the true big clubs with the trophy expectations to match.

2. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he'll have that pressure this year to a degree. Because of City's dominant he's not expected to win the league, but if he doesn't win anything this year after spending as much as Pool did then he's going to feel the pressure and the fans are going to start turning on him.

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Even if they win nothing I can't see that pressure weighing heavy this year, as long as they're making clear improvements and getting big results. I'm expecting them to take 2nd but push for 1st if City don't reach the same highs. The real question is whether they can now beat those who bunker effectively.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fenerbahce have been eliminated in the CL qualifiers today by Benfica. They were one of the teams interested in Rojo. It seems unlikely they'll make a move for him now.
    He could still go though I guess, we'll see. Even if there seems to be reports that Mourinho wants to keep him around (and Darmian too apparently). We'll see if he gets overruled by Woodward here.

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I was focusing more on the idea that the fans will turn on him. But come the end of the season the media will be too busy picking over our bones.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can try to deflect all he wants, Klopp knows he's got to deliver something this season. He has a pass of sorts for the Prem because of City, but there are still 3 (4 including the EL if they somehow fall at the group stage) up for grabs.
    The team's style of play buys him a little time, but after 2 finals defeat, plus all the investment into the team recently, there are no excuses.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's like Smalling. Really only gets by because of his physical attributes.

His touch and technique are spotty. His IQ is pretty low. He's just an athlete on the pitch.

johno repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Antonio gets injured more than Phil Jones ...

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example of how the Prem is just swimming in money at the moment.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/44850888

No signs of things slowing down soon either, by the looks of it.

12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    No true. Look at his buys.

Exceptions are:
    -Shevchenk (29)
    -Matic (29)
    -Fabregas (27 at the time)
    -Cuadrado (27)
    -Pedro (28)
    -Diego Milito (29)

The above are the most expensive and oldest buys by Mourinho in the top 30. Out of 40 players, the other addition would have Eto'o.

Let's start with Porto Benni McArthy, Carlos Alberto, then at Chelsea Essien, John Obi Mikel, Robben, Carvalho, Ferreira, Drogba, Malouda, Cech, Ashley Cole, Lass Diarra, Kalou, then at Inter Quaresma, Sneijder, Muntari, Motta, Jimenez, at Real Di Maria, Coentrao, Modric, Ozil, Khedira, Sahin, Varane, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Zouma. These were all under 27 when he bought them.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ignore Porto and really everything before Madrid. At Madrid he was EXPECTED to win. Winning was a bonus everywhere else except Chelsea the second time around.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Sure but you look at that list, these are some good buys in their prime at second tier clubs. The Drogba and Essien signings. Obi Mikel, Robben, etc...

johno repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Chelsea during his first stint there in particular, there's really no telling which buys were truly Mourinho's or RA/Kenyon's at the time.
    We can safely bet that Paulo Ferreira and Carvalho were players Mourinho wanted specifically and that guys like Sheva and Ballack were forced upon him.
    For most of the rest, it really could be anyone's guess as Chelsea's policy back then was to get their hands on pretty much any hot or top talent they could.
    Kenyon having moved from United, knew some of our top targets we had been working on for some time and got them right under our noses (Robben and Essien in particular). Players, among others, who worked very well under Mourinho, but they were not necessarily his buys (as in players he expressly wanted).

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KDB suffers a knee injury in training.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/45200783

Not something you'd wish on a professional athlete, obviously, but this is the only way anyone in the Prem has a real prayer against City.
    Even so however, as pivotal and influential KDB is for them, they've got 2, perhaps even 3 players who can step in for him and be almost as effective as he is. The depth in that team is practically unmatched in the league...

jnielsen repped this.
  17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    There goes my Fantasy team.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It just gives Gundogen and B Silva more game time. Those aren't bad backup options to have.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Foden, if push came to shove, would be a possible option. Furthermore, City's schedule is pretty soft all the way until early October. They definitely should be able to manage until then.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First broadcast for TNT of European football today with the Supercup between Atleti and Real.

Atletico Madrid: Oblak, Juanfran, Savic, Godin, Hernandez, Lemar, Rodri, Saul, Koke, Griezmann, Costa.

Real Madrid: Navas, Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo,Kroos, Casemiro, Isco, Bale, Asensio, Benzema.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And wow is it bad. I'm glad we don't have to listen to Lalas but this production is amateur as ********. They're sitting behind a nice looking foldout table with no front, Howard is wearing tennis shoes, and Steve Nash is on the panel for some reason.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About on par with my expectations tbh. The set is really what I'm surprised about and hopefully with time, that will get better. Really looks like they've sparred every expenses for it. Not good enough...

54secs in and Costa overpowers Varane and rifles one past Navas. 1-0, Atleti.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm still not seeing how Madrid make up for Ronaldos lost goals. Benzema isn't a goal scorer and Bale can't do it alone. Maybe a combo of Bale and Asenso but I don't see it.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Costa scores a bomb in under a minute.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems pretty clear even early on that Madrid are the same team but when they break they don't have a focal point anymore.