I/P: Sunday @ 5 PM MT Opener: Rapids @ Vancouver 7/1

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by SccrDon, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Fleming said Badji jammed his shoulder or something in Thursday's practice. Didn't say how bad it was.

Wilson got his 5th yellow so he's out for July 4.

2. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    lol. 98% sure Badji statement isn’t accurate.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on?

4. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I enjoyed the win against Minnesota. Back and forth play. Yesterday reminded me of the Houston loss, except they won. Glad they won, but it was painful to watch.

It was nice to see Sjoberg in the center. He didn't play a perfect game, but he was a huge reason for the shutout. I just cannot understand why the coach doesn't like him; he'd rather watch Wynne give up goal after goal.

jayd8888, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That was kind of weird seeing them come out in the non pressing 5-4-1 again.

6. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching Russia bunker Spain, maybe Hudson decided to channel his inner Mastroeni. It worked, but another season of this shit?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't mind that we did it this time. 3 games in a week, on the road, etc. We often knock the coach for not changing tactics, here he did to success.

Now, if we see it all the time I will not be happy, but I have no problem with the right scenario being a bunker game to get the points.

rod.

wormhole and Andy126 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But lets be honest. This wasn't a bunker game to get the points, this was a "lets hope we can bunker our way to a 0-0 draw" and then we got lucky off an own goal.

fortcollins, jayd8888, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    But still, average P.P.G. over the last two matches = 3.0. Playoffs?

10. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Actually, why wouldn't it be? On the road against a playoff bound team, the other team has a few players suspended, a game in only a few days with another one less than a week away.

From my perspective, I don't have a problem with a bunker mentality for this one. Get a road point, maybe steal a win. Which is what happened.

(Note that I am not saying the season is a success, only that I get why it could be a strategy here and the coach *might* have actually recognized such by changing formation. Which is something we have beat him up over. Credit where credit may be due.)

rod.

Andy126 repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver is only a playoff team if you ignore games played. On PPG they're more like an 8th placed team.

And if this were a normal season I might give credit for bunkering in a getting a point, but not from a coach that's been a disaster this year and an organization that's promoted attractive soccer as the new "Rapids Way". At this point the Rapids need to be winning games with skill if they want us to have any belief in the leadership, not hoping for a turn of luck.

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    In a season like this I say ANY point matters when you can get it. Generally we should see "the Rapids Way", with a few bunkering games.

But, you are a Fusky and I am a super smart Duck. We will never agree.....

13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't mind watching a team play defense and try to counter a few times. It's just the Rapids eliminate the "counter" part of the tactics. At the end of yesterday's game, my wife, son, and I looked at each other with pained looks on our faces.

Two years ago, when they were playing for the best record and playoff positioning, every win was a reason for celebration, no matter how ugly. This year, I see no hope for the playoffs, so I need more offensive effort ("my kingdom for a counterattack with two players going forward...!")

Dom. FC, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not picking on you Jason, just pointing out how we were promised a "Skilled" team, Attacking soccer, yet the only DP/TAM/GAM signing that gets consistent playing time is our GK...

Sports Yak repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Smith and Wilson were TAM signings too I believe. :D

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but I like my Exaggerations!

Smith will set the new Yellow cards in a season total and Wilson, not sure how many of us would have him even starting given his traffic cone impersonations.

Sports Yak repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is an example of a team that turned this season around through effective bunkering. (As opposed to park-the-bus-and-hope-something-good-happens bunkering.) Through 13 games, Montreal was 3-10-0, 14 GF, 29 GA. Through the last 5 games, Montreal is 4-1-0, 8 GF, 2 GA, is riding a 342' streak without surrendering a goal, and is sitting just below the playoff line. Unlike the "Rapids Way," Montreal has a coach who isn't inflexible and has players who are coachable and can counter effectively. Oh, and guess where Colorado plays on Saturday.

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal has had a beautiful counter attack for several years now, it is dam exciting.

fortcollins repped this.
  19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I've been out. Will be out on the 4th too. Thxs for keeping the opening tradition alive. Glad they've been entertaining.

SccrDon repped this.
  20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Vancouver had chance after chance, and either missed sitters or saw shots swallowed by Howard or sent the ball whistling past the post. Colorado's bunkering would not have survived against a better attack.

This was an absolutely Colorado style "win."

It's three in the standings, but a lot of ugly on the eyes.

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and Dom. FC repped this.