I like Eboue!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by biggonez, Dec 17, 2007.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, Eboue looks to be a better player now than he was two years ago, can we say the same about Sagna?

2. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Yes, yes you are.

3. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that earlier. Love how Eboue doesn't break character!!:D:D

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “We need to win a trophy this season for our club. It has been such a long time since we did something,” Eboue said. “To be a good family, we must win something together. For me, I don’t think Fabregas, me or William [Gallas] will leave this club. We have still got contracts with Arsenal. We are Arsenal players and I think we all want to win something together.”

“If I wanted to leave this club, I would have done it a long time ago but not now,”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article7041488.ece

5. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC
  6. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too. i think eboue's performance will play a major factor in whether arsenal win something.

our problem of getting sliced open when we have the lead can be solved when eboue comes on as a sub. with song and diaby already in midfield, adding an eboue who is performing well to the midfield should stop the bleeding of goals.

also, an eboue also has such offensive capabilities, that by bringing him on, we are still extremely formidable offensively.

eboue is an extraordinary combination of offensive and defensive ability. if he can remain disciplined on defense and efficient on offense, arsenal will win something.

7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has really had an incredible turnaround over this past year. We are going to struggle to hold on to him this summer.

8. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Why do you think that? I think he really wants to stay. And I think that Wenger really wants him to stay. Do you see an outrageous offer on the horizon that can't be ignored?

At some point team continuity and chemistry have to trump cash given how many players have departed over the last few years. I don't think Eboue has any interest in leaving, especially at a time when supporters are loving him and he's playing well.

9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has said quite a few times that he is interested in taking on a new challenge this coming summer, and there will probably be quite a few CL teams lining up to offer him a starting position.

If an offer comes in, I don't see him opting for a bench role with us while he could be guaranteed a starting spot at RB for other CL sides. I'm only too happy to sell players as everyone knows, but I really want us to hang on to Eboue. It's going to be very hard to replace what he offers us.

10. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made those comments quite a while ago. More recently, as was pointed out in reponse #180 by antifan I think, Eboue has spoken of the affection he has for the club and the fact that not only he, but also Gallas and Cesc want to stay (as quoted in the Times). I would definitely hate to see him go and I don't think he will. We have so few utility players and we have employed him as either FB, either winger and on occassion even in the middle of our midfield. I don't think anyone else in the squad has been employed in some many different positions.

I was happy to see him score on Tuesday. It was an absolutely delightful counter and fantastic finish with his weaker left foot. I hope he keeps up this form and he may not only help lead us to trophies but also he help the Cote d'Ivoire make a deep run this summer in South Africa.

11. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He was by far the biggest fan favorite at preseason this past summer.

12. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Never?

13. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC
    :D Clarification. About being a bad guy or selfish ...

14. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll outgrow that propensity to be blown over anytime he's anywhere near the opposing box. Or at the very least, he'll get less obvious at it! :D

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    possibly he could audit a summer course at the stevie gerrard's school of diving?

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wow, that's awesome. the television was changed right after they went to commercial as the team huddled up so i missed it.

however we feel about him as a player, it's easy to see why his teammates love him regardless how how his form is. in every interviews i've seen, everybody has considered him the team's biggest jokester.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “If I wanted to leave this club, I would have done it a long time ago but not now,”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article7041488.ece

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think he really loves the club

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I get the impression that he really enjoys himself here and I think Wenger does a fantastic job rotating him in at appropriate times and the man has even managed to push Sagna to the brink for a starting job.

20. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! :D And if he doesn't have time to make it through the entire course prior to heading to South Africa, he could always take Rooney's diving seminar one afternoon in early June.

21. greekgooner

greekgooner Member

May 25, 2009
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus

He enjoys Wenger.

After how he was treated in the Wigan game, I'm surprised he is till here.

Like Diaby, he was always a player that had great talents but just could not bring it all together for some reason. Now that they are both clicking, its easy to step back and say how the investment is starting to look like it payed off.

But think about what was said last year about both, especially after the loss in the FA cup.

This is probably the best example of how on the fence Arsenal fans are about emerging talent.

Arsenal FC - "What have you done for me lately"

I think it works :)

edit: Btw, anyone else agree with me that he is playing much better forward than he did as a wing back?

Its made all the world of difference.

22. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Another account, from East Lower:

You've gotta give props to Eboue this season for not only improving as a player, but deciding to make an effort to win over the fans who didn't like him. He could just as easily have sulked until getting transferred.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think he plays well at both position now. i think losing his place really helped him concentrate and realize that he cannot take anything for granted. also, the year that he was switched to right mid the whole year really helped with making his runs become more direct and with purpose (where before his offensive game consisted of overlapping and putting in crosses).

i have to eat my words because i thought he really could not and would not become a dangerous right midfielder at all as i did not think he had enough in his repertoire.

i love being wrong in this instance, though. :D

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so . . . eboue could conceivably come back from south africa with a pin on his lapel of a starfish and another of shrek? rockin'.