I had the privilege of a two hour dinner with Jesse and Jared last night

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SoccerMan94043, Feb 22, 2018.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 SoccerMan94043, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    I'm humbled by the amount of time Jesse and Jared spent with me answering all of my inane questions. They are both extremely personable, engaging and patient. These are the highlights that I remember and can talk about:

1) Jesse is an amazing Leader; his vision and patience in achieving that is equally amazing (iterative, step by step progress). He's most excited about the player funnel from the ground up. He brought up the 15 year olds several times indicating the long term commitment to growing the club from the ground up. He also brought up the foundation all of the previous Leaders brought to the Quakes. He even asked me who I thought the best coaches were and the impact they had (I mentioned Frank and and Johnny for their impact on the club as a whole)

2) Jared mentioned "700" different revisions sitting on his desk to improve Avaya. I got a chance to see the new player bench suites; they've taken 1/4 of the bench seats and are giving them to the suite. I mentioned everyone in those suites need to have a background check :\

3) We've been roster compliant for three weeks through three new greencards (I think it was three). If I remember correctly that included Flo and Godoy and is the reason we haven't seen Godoy.

4) Godoy is not injured and it sounded to me to be a lock starter, ahead of Flo in the CM; he'll be playing box to box.

5) Jesse is extremely happy on where the team is right now. He thinks were 5 to 6 months ahead of plan right now though also mentioned we have a long way to go... especially for the center defenders who need a lot more time to gel. He also stated the only goal is to do better than last year; I stated I would like to see that be win the cup but he said that's in two years.

6) He thinks Cummings is about 5 pounds overweight (and it working on it) but he's much faster than he's shown (he's our speed I guess). He's also more like Bernardez in his play style (great 1v1 and a bit chaotic).

7) I brought up my concerns thus far in preseason of how Flo, Cummings and Quintana are playing together. I even suggested that maybe Godoy should be the tip of the triangle because he can communicate more effectively with the CB (due to Spanish). He disagreed, mentioned Godoys vital box to box role and said they all needed much more time together.

8) Everyone wants Wondo's record this year... Jesse thinks, with the other attacking options (specifically noting Magnus), that Wondo is going to get a lot more looks this year.

9) Jesse is also really excited about the Quakes partnership with Second Spectrum. Second Spectrum has been working with the NBA to get near real-time feedback on key situations on the court, giving the coach information to counter and take advantage of those matchups. The Quakes have added 12 new high-def cameras to help capture data from across the field and they will be working with Second Spectrum to create similar moments on the soccer field. They will be analyzing and training the machine or the next 12 months and after they think they can release a platform that will generically work for soccer across the world (he mentioned an MLS wide engagement).

10) Dawkins to MinnU is a done deal.

11) Jesse indirectly referenced character a lot, as a great leader should, mentioning players they've brought in, Leich and Ian Russell (he thinks VERY highly of Ian). I came away feeling like he's building something very big we can all be proud of.

12) I mentioned I thought TT needed to be supported to get back his 1x1 confidence (I blamed Dom). Jesse agreed and the coaching staff specifically wants that dynamic play and he working with him on getting that swagger back

13) Jesse asked me how the weather is in KC and NY in March... I asked him to watch the CCL match with Col and TFC ;)

fifacupmundial, lazlo325, falvo and 20 others repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In Jesse We Trust.

lazlo325 and NedZ repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "He also stated the only goal is to do better than last year"

Makes sense.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Under-promise and over-deliver, thereby keeping expectations low and everyone happy.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year Jesse said the goal was to make the playoffs. They made the playoffs.

I prefer someone who sets a realistic target and actually hits it to a Klinsmann salesman type.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great stuff, Nigel... thanks for sharing...what an opportunity.

It was expected, but I'm a little bummed to hear they're keen on Godoy above Flo. At least they see Flo as the Dmid...very happy about that...we can build it up from there. Hopefully Godoy plays his butt off, but I have my reservations about him ahead of Flo.

I think he was just being polite when he said Cummings is only 5 lbs overweight...much more than that I believe.

Great to hear Jesse's short and long term goals...very candid answer regarding when we could realistically challenge for the cup.

We went from having the all time worst GM in MLS history to potentially having one of the best...total sea change.

markmcf8, Beerking, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Did you ask him why he hired the "Swedish Dominic Kinnear"? :)

Godoy-Flo at CM is a lock as I've been saying all along, though I think there's a chance that failures at CB cause Flo to move back there for a while at some point.

I disagree that we necessarily have to wait 2 years to win a championship. You just have to make the playoffs and get hot and have some good luck. I think the previous 2 champions before TFC last year were low seeds. There are so many teams in MLS now that winning a championship is more unlikely than ever, and more of a crap shoot than ever.

I guess if you have a truly elite team (and truly elite teams in MLS are very rare) you can increase your chances but otherwise, crap shoot. It is possible to be a good or very good team for many years and not win a championship. I think this is Jesse just not quite fully coming to terms with the reality of our playoff format yet. He is still thinking a bit "Euro". He hasn't seen Portland sneak into the playoffs with a "meh" team, and then win the Cup.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't think doing better than last year is a realistic goal?

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or Jesse understands exactly what you're saying and is merely managing expectations.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My previous comment:

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I wouldn't say it's 2 years away though. I'd say it's however many years away :). But seriously, I think a realistic goal is to make the playoffs consistently and be a consistently good team (let's say top 3 in the conference). A stretch goal would be to be elite for a number of years. How many MLS Cups come out of that, that's where the voodoo takes over :).

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay. Guess I inferred sarcasm where it was absent.

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Flo is a better defensive player than Godoy, and with questions hanging over our new CB pairing, probably a wise decision to have Flo a little closer to them.

Beerking repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Stahre making the same point I was making. The "fun" thing about MLS: "Make the playoffs, and you can be the champion. I think that's an amazing thing".

15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to mention that we talked about our ability to express our will on our opponent. I brought up that in the early 2000s we completely dominated the field no matter who we were playing, but now it's like we continually get lucky (even in 2012).

Jesse agreed and that this is all a process to get us there. Again, more of his patients in meeting long term goals. Good stuff to me (being a realist).

16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen enough of the coach and the style to know. Based in the LA game, we're playing a quick counter and compact game which should suit our team well. We'll eventually see.

I agree on the CB pairing and Flo which I also mentioned in the past (and hinted to Jesse, but he didn't take the bait).

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Where did you eat? :)

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I was being a little facetious about "the Swedish Dominic Kinnear" thing though I've been saying that he will be more of a defense first coach like Dom, and we may play a lot of "compact / quick counter" (read "bunker / counter") like Vancouver played last year.

19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right in front of beers of the world in stadium. It was REALLLLY cold.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

-G

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, much better protection. Imo, Flo at Dmid is the critical piece in the midfield foundation. He makes the right decision 99% of the time...he rarely makes mistakes...he reads the game so well...and he's a huge positive force and inspirational leader for his teammates.

There is a big drop before you get to anyone else at Dmid and that includes Godoy...who in my mind is a bit loose with his decision making...a bit of a joker who can be baited into boneheaded rash retaliations...plus he naturally plays a slower legato style, which might not be the best approach if we want to quickly move the ball out when we counter.

The saving grace with Godoy is we have a lot of depth and competition for the other central mid position. He'll need to bring his best every game to stay on the field. We didn't see that last year. It was Jekyll and Hyde...and he doesn't play worth a shit when he plays with the young guys...truly toxic chemistry with Tommy and Yueill, and to some degree Lima...deal breaker for me.

Beerking repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't know if you asked, or if Jesse gave you any hints, but what style of play is he after in his "long term plan"? Or is it just about youth development, and then "just win", or "just win smart"?

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You guys forget - Godoy will be missing a not-tiny number of games this season due to national duty. I’m fine with Jesse’s philosophy here - ride Anibal as long as you can, and not have to drop a bit in quality with Flo to fill in. Given that Flo just turned 29, I don’t think it’s the worst thing to keep him a bit fresh.

24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You also forgot to tell us what you had for dinner. Don't overlook the important details!

I've been to events in the concourse a few times. For whatever reason, they don't/can't host anything the covered suites, so everyone's out there in the wind tunnel trying not to think about mminent frostbite.

25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He agreed that the goal needs to be "driving your will on the game" when I mentioned our ability in the early 2000s to completely dominate the field. I read that as he wants to play control soccer, but I'm also guessing more like Germany rather than Barcelona.