I found this weird

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Bosanac, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Bosanac

Bosanac New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Since I can remember, when I started to play soccer, way back when I was 7 yrs old or so, I could beat kids and make great moves, dribble really well, and this against kids that were at least 12/13yrs old. Overall, I just had great skills with the ball.

When I got abit older, I improved the rest, I have a good pass, great shot, good crossing, take great free kicks, great stamina, fairly fast and still very good dribbiling ability.

Yet, one thing I cant do, juggle. Now, the thing is, I never used to try to do it, growing up I never practiced it..its just that I've always kept my game simple and always got to the games, and never practiced it..So now, its really weird... training to juggle, and not being able to do it well , yet I have great skills, have really great dribbling, and overall I am good player, so people are very surprised I cant juggle too, and so am I.

The obvious conclusion I came to was, I just didn't practice it growing up so thats the easy explanation, and juggling seems to be a skill that anyone can do as long as you keep practicing it..I've only tried to do it a few times so far, so hopefully I can do it soon...it is getting better.

I played soccer for all my 4 years in HS..and I hope to next year try for the college team, some club team, or try-out somewhere.

oh, and I would say, if there was any weakness in my game, its in the air..so I am trying to practice that as much as I can..I played right midfield for most of my HS years, and did really really well.

I guess dumb of me to think that I can do it the first time I try it when I have never done it before.

2. smith07

smith07 New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    don't worry about it

3. soccergc20

soccergc20 New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Grove City, OH
    wow.. that sounds alot like me, im a pretty decent player, and i never juggle. Although i think i should start i jus dont do it. Im not very good at it and thats probably why i dont do it. When i was younger i was never asked, forced, or jus told to do it or practice it so i never did. It really hasnt affected me yet, and ive never been in a situation where ive had to stop in the middle of the game and juggle 37 times, so owell.

4. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the kids I coach, the best player in our program for his age, is the same way. If you've got all the other skills, then not being able to juggle 50 times in a row isn't worth losing any sleep over.

5. Bosanac

Bosanac New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Thanks for the comments guys.

As I said, guess it was dumb to think that on first attempt I would already be able to do it well. I guess its like any skill, if you dont practice it at all, you wont be able to do it well, or at all. I guess because my other skills were really good I thought automatically I can do the juggling too, and when I started to finally try to do it, it really surprised me that I couldn't very well.

6. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juggling to me is the biggest waste of training time around. I've seen coaches use it as a single point of measure.

Simply absurd.

Keep developing your game, and good luck at the next level.

7. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's good to help develop the feel of the ball and soft touch. That said, I only use it in training as a light warm up for a few minutes or if I have to deal with a mini-crisis or something like that.

8. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. My son had quotas set out for him by the coaching staff - 50 this week, 60 next week, and so forth. I think his goal was 100.

But then, their training regimen wasn't appropriate for U-11 and U-12 boys, either.

9. justin10

justin10 New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    guaynabo PR
    im the same way, i am good at all the skills except juggling, and i absolutly posotivly cant do tricks like rainbow or something