I don't care if you make the playoffs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, Sep 17, 2016.

1. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In the wake of the gut-wrenching USOC final loss, all that's left for the Revs is to make a late push and get themselves into the MLS Cup playoffs. Since it's all that's left, they might as well go for it, but making the playoffs isn't going to be a bar where, if the Revs clear it, I'll be happy with the season.

Making the playoffs is a fairly meaningless accomplishment for me. I'm not a football fan, but do you think Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers or Kansas Chiefs fans are happy that their teams sometimes make the playoffs? I sincerely doubt it. Patriots fans take that attitude that they expect the team to make the playoffs. If they don't make at least the conference finals, people get depressed and do crazy things like elect Scott Brown to the Senate.

In baseball in recent years, the Cincinnati Reds, Pittsburgh Pirates and Atlanta Braves have made the playoffs, but failed to win a single series. I guarantee you their fans are not impressed. In any sport, squeaking into the playoffs and exiting immediately is the equivalent of a participation trophy. If you're not going to be among the top teams in the league throughout the season, then you better not just make the playoffs, you better make some noise while you're there.

I'm happy the Revs made a big push for the Open Cup. When the team plays well, like its last two league games, it's a lot of fun to watch. I don't feel this season has been a waste of time. I'm just saying that I don't want to hear (particularly from my ticket rep) that it's so great if the Revs make the playoffs. No, it's not. It's not anywhere close to great. It's simply a chance to make a run at another cup. It's a lottery ticket. What will make it great is if the run actually happens.

I'm not inclined to seek the hollow solace of low expectations.

KaptPowers, Dr. Sneezy, rkupp and 4 others repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. Problem is, your expectations are too high to be a revs fan. :)

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care what happens across the remainder of the season
    When I look a the standings in the East is see a fur-ball with no team standing out and anything could happen over the next month. Having enjoyed our highly improbable run to the MLS final in 2006 I come to expect real surprises not only for the Revs but across MLS

GO REVS

Dr. Sneezy and RoyNJ repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, Doc. Admire the positive thinking. I think you meant either 2002 or 2014, not 2006 - but I hear ya. The question isn't whether we'd enjoy a Cinderella run to MLS Cup final - the question is, would it cloud the bigger picture that this team is consistently a day late and a dollar short. You were even ready to warm up the tar for Burnsie; as Tom said this may result in the status quo and no changes being made. Therefore, it's better for the bigger picture of the club for the team to fail miserably in its quest to make the playoffs, if the East doesn't conspire to suck just enough again.

5. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 2002 when we had the improbable run. We lost in the 113th minute by a golden goal by Carlos Ruiz.

6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd rather they win than lose, but I've got no emotional investment in them making the playoffs. I won't think differently of this season if they clear that hurdle than if they don't.

I don't have a problem with the eternal optimism of anything can happen in the playoffs. MLS has a particularly crapshooty playoffs. Any of the 12 teams that make the playoffs could win the whole thing, even if the odds for the 3-6 teams in each conference are low. Yet TFC and the Red Bulls are legit good teams. The Revs probably would have to go through both of them to win the conference.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was the year I was referring too. We would have won it if Winston Griffiths had eaten one more strip of bacon for breakfast

NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that falling short of the playoffs would be a good thing in some aspects and with most teams it may call for some changes but this is the Revs. Even falling short of the playoffs and losing the USOC Heaps probably isn't going anywhere. This team has a history of not making moves to upset chemistry even if is not the right formula. A team like LA, Seattle etc.. would have looked at their rosters after a Cup loss and said where can I get better so we can win it all next year. The Revs look at the roster and probably say if we got this far spending only x amount of money we could probably do it again with the same team. Most teams would have made moves in august if they fielded the worst defense in the league but not the Revs. They probably "almost" signed a few players but could not pull the trigger. Unfortunately when it comes to signing players when needed Burns usually shoots blanks. Less than a handful of games and probably a long off season for the Revs. Priorities going into the off season are pretty obvious: Defensive help on every position of the back line. JoGo has been a NoGo this season. Tierney is older and slower and has been ball watching more this year than ever before. Watson and Woodbury are too inconsistent and Farrell has failed to become that guy that would force Klinsman to call him up. Barnes is done. Femi was a surprise this year before getting hurt but do we want him as the third Forward going into next year? Keeper is another position that should be looked to for improvement. Will Cody be given a chance to compete for the Number 1?

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, the Revs will just say, "Yeah, we could make the effort to make changes that would improve the team, but nah, it's too hard. Not worth the bother. Ohhh, look! The Patriots are on TV!"

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting assessment from Soccer America on the race in the East. They see us finishing 5th :)

This is how they predict it shaking out:

Team ---Current---Games left---Projected Pts---Final Pos---Final Pts
    MON----------38----------5--------------------4-----------------7----------42
    NER----------36----------4--------------------8-----------------5----------44
    DCU----------34----------5--------------------9-----------------6----------43
    ORL----------34----------5--------------------7-----------------8----------41

So if we get 8 points from 4 games, that means 2 wins and 2 draws, undefeated the rest of the way. Pretty ambitious if'n you ask me, but I'll take it.

11. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stats say 42.6% chance of the Revs making the playoffs

12. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Interesting we went from something like a 3% chance 3 weeks ago, then won 3 in a row and bam! 42.6%

13. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, after the Red Bulls won 1-0 on August 28th, there was only a 2.26% chance. Also, that win against Montreal was HUGE, 12.9% before to 42.5% after the win

14. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 3 games to go, the Revs must win 2 or 3 to have a higher than 50/50 chance of making the playoffs

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how one game can shift the momentum so drastically. Last week Soccer America predicted we'd get 2 wins and 2 draws from our remaining 4 games, so that's been blown out of the water.

Kansas City at home isn't going to be an easy one, and while Chicago could be winnable, we managed to lose 2 of 3 from that crap outfit in Central Ohio. Montreal on the last day could be a very big game or totally meaningless, too early to tell right now.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw playoffs out the window, the revs don't deserve it. Hire a new coach, give him a chance to evaluate players in game action and start making decisions for next year now.

17. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Tough results for the Revs tonight with both the Impact and DC winning. We are now 5 and 4 points behind with 3 to play. Not impossible, but no room for error.

18. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're toast.

RevsLiverpool and mrt/MLS repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaand that's how it goes when you depend on other teams to bail you out with the "right" results. Sometimes, like the last week of the 2008 season, every ball bounces our way, but more often than not, it won't.

Funny how that 3 game win streak had everything primed and pumped up, but the balloon quickly deflated with one stinkin' loss to Cow-lum-bust.

We've got KC at home, Chicago away and Montreal at home. Not an easy road by any stretch of the imagination.

20. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SPI has the chance at 41% and the other site has them at 29%

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I haven't run the numbers, but I'd say that if they win out, their chances are probably very good. If they don't, their chances are probably close to nil (maybe 7 points gets them in, but certainly not anything less).

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 points would put them at 43.
    • Philly would need one in their last three games to tie that. Which would still put us in an awful position due to the second tiebreaker, goal differential (+2 compared to our -14).
    • Montreal would need two points to tie that. We do play them the last game. They have 10 wins, we would have 11 if we were to get the three points. Tie-breakers would be in our favor if they only get two points.
    • DC would need a win and lose two games to get to 43. They would then lose the tie-breaker to us since we'd have 11 wins.
    Remaining schedule:
    Revs: SKC, @ Fire, Montreal
    DC: @ TFC, NYCFC, @ Orlando
    Montreal: @ TFC, Montreal, @ Revs
    Philly: @ RBNY, Orlando, RBNY

Jon Martin and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Montreal is a lock in that 2nd game! ;)

Revs in 2010 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 patfan1, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Oops, correcting.

Remaining schedule:
    Revs: SKC, @ Fire, Montreal
    DC: @ TFC, NYCFC, @ Orlando
    Montreal: @ Orlando, TFC, @ Revs
    Philly: @ RBNY, Orlando, RBNY

I'll still stick by my original sentiment though, 7 is probably not enough.

25. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Montreal won today, which means the Revs are now three points behind Philly with two to play. If Philly beats Orlando, it's got the tiebreaker on the Revs (guarantees at least a tie in wins and no way the Revs can catch up on goal differential).