I can't wait to play _______...

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by FCjason, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which team in the NASL are you most excited to play against? I think the over whelming obvious answer will be the Cosmos. but myself, I'm really looking forward to playing San Antonio.

Which team is it that you can't wait to hate?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for Open Cup you all could also get match ups against Houston, Dallas, Kansas City, Colorado, Salt Lake, and some of the West Cost USL teams (if you all beat the NPSL/PDL in the second round).

In 2014 you guys still have to qualify to the Open cup from the NPSL, in 2015 you guys will automatically enter in the 2nd round (if the format stays the same/similar). ;)

FCjason repped this.
  3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In NASL I can't wait to play NY Cosmos (Of Course!)
    But once we are able to get into the USOC I'll be PRAYING that we get to play FC Dallas and get more people for a home game than they do! :)

TheFalseNine and FCjason repped this.
  4. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Happiness is beating TEXAS! Sorry, San Antonio but you are in Texas! Nice fried scorpions sauteed in butter, coated with a brown sugar and cinnamon base! Yumme, yumme...

Next up, those Cosmos from the Great State of New York; distrupting their order. Tulsa Roughnecks use to feast on those New York Cosmos.

TheFalseNine and FCjason repped this.
  5. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right! I forgot about Open Cup play. I'm always up for a chance to beat down on a Texas team.

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully BEFORE the first season we'll get a friendly against an MLS team

7. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool. I'll take any MLS exhibition, but if I could choose, give me FCDallas.

8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would want to start out with an MLS bottom feeder: Toronto, D.C. United, San Jose or Chivas USA.
    Who knows what any of these teams will be capable of during in 2015 preseason.

9. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your reasoning. However, I'm always wanting to play the best. Lets see how we stack up against the best teams. I know its just a scrimmage/friendly, but if you wanna be the best...gotta beat the best, or at least play the best. If you get killed, no shame really. Especially if it's a top MLS club "A" or "B" squad.

I also would love to bring in a club from La Liga or any euro league for a friendly. even if it's the "B" or "C" squad.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still want FC Dallas!!

11. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

The best we could do would be to go against an MLS team which wouldn't want a scrimmage against us using their top players. The game would be a 'no win' situation for either team participating in a scrimmage.

If we got beat by an MLS team who didn't use their top players; what's in it for us?

If we defeated an MLS team who didn't use their top players; what's in it for us?

12. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you as far a quality of play is concerned - I never really enjoy friendlies of any type - but as far a prestige and attention, I'm for it. It would be a bump in media and causal soccer fan attention, draw some heat for the "Hey, this can be a big league/MLS town!" narrative, and assuming we get a team from the region (Dallas, Houston, KC, maybe even Colorado), we can expect to host their supporters and increase our profile there, as well.

MLS/Euro friendlies aren't the be all-end all, but they'd be nice to have.

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think in this instance, I'd like to see us play the best team we can in order to get more casual fans to come out and take a look.

14. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #14 Laramie, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    The casual fans will be the foundation for structuring our fan base. The NBA's New Orleans Hornets called OKC home (2005-2007); after a brief hiatus the NBA's Superssonics relocated here (2008-09).

Competition between these two groups (Funk-McLaughlin) is the x-factor. We can't ignore the risks involved which could be a roadblock. The NHL Hartford Whalers relocated to Raleigh (Carolina Hurricanes). Hartford's proximity to Boston (93 miles) was the obstacle to the Whalers' long-term success

When the AFL Texans/NFL Cowboys both occupied Dallas from 1960-63 (three seasons) it didn't kill football in the Metroplex? 'Survival of the fittest' was the litany test as history has shown in many situations.

Philadelphia once supported the AL's Athletics and the NL's Phillies. The Athletics eventully moved to Kansas City and later Oakland. In 1967 Kansas City was awarded an expansion franchise (Royals) to replace the Athletics.

Oklahoma City is ripe for major professional soccer; whereas the deciding factor will be determining what level of play do we want for our community. The key will be ownership's ability to market soccer in our city.

15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they could both survive and thrive in their own niche here in OKC, that would be great. BUT, it will NEVER happen. One is going to win. One is going to lose. What every soccer fan in OKC hopes is that the ensuing turf war doesn't irrevocably destroy professional soccer in OKC.
    Maybe NASL could play in renovated Taft. And USL could play in renovated C.B. Speegle. This would create a Northside/Southside kinda thing. Nope, forget it. Never gonna happen. Please refer to the previous paragraph.

16. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a key difference to this two team situation is the sport. Lets face it, soccer doesn't (in this state) compare to football. Nor is this city the size of Dallas. This is where I feel our two team scenario differs from other comparisons. Most of the comparisons have been top divisions of the that particular sport (NFL, NHL, MLB...). Regardless of how we "die hards" of the sport of soccer feel about the NASL or USL, the fact is, it's not the MLS. For that reason, I think getting more of the "average" fans will be more difficult. Especially with two "lesser quality leagues" (in the eyes of the general public) creating a split with what knowledgable fans there are in this city.

17. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since McLaughlin is in tight with the OKCPS board and Sinor (the district AD), I'd guess that Speegle, Douglass, and and other City school are going to be impossible for Funk FC to play in.

That leaves...let's see:

Stars Field: Right out, since a lot of OCU already works with OKCFC - not to mention most of the colleges in the area, so cross them off.

Other high schools: No way a team plays at Millwood or Crooked Oak - way too run down. Mt. St. Mary's and Santa Fe South would be laughable to play in for a team that calls itself third division. Putnam is a maybe, but don't be surprised if OKC FC tries to lock it down again for a big-draw friendly. Casady and Heritage Hall are also too small, and difficult to get to (do you really think Nichols Hills wants 600 soccer fans rolling in and out three times a month?), and McGuinness, so I've heard, has already said no.

Bethany is a perhaps, but after that, you're going to suburban schools that are 1) not in a good central location for everyone and 2) usually built for football only.

Mustang? Moore? Edmond? Midwest City? Yukon? Will they allow tailgating? Supporters?

The USL team gets off the ground in six months, and not a single question has been answered. I know Phoenix FC waited until the last minute this season in USL, but look how THAT turned out.

ManuSooner repped this.
  18. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said Badgerjohn.

Wasn't there some talk about the Redhawks moving again? If that's true, and they do move. Would it possible that Funk is able to use the Bricktown ball park? I would think he could pull some political strings to make that happen. If indeed there isn't a baseball team anymore.

19. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the baseball will leave. The way it's shaking out, the Astros actually bought New Orleans' AAA team and is moving that to near Houston. If that's the case, the Redhawks (I hate that name - sounds like some BS college that had to change its name from the Indians) will have an open contract, and there are a few teams that will have their deals up with their affiliates this season (such as Miami and the Mets).

Even if they don't land another AAA team, a Texas League (AA) relocation would be a gimme.

Baseball still draws decent crowds in Oklahoma, and it's too attractive of a venue for a MLB team to pass up as an affiliate. And Funk is no longer involved with the baseball team, so if he's counting on playing there while the Redhawks are out of town, good luck.

ManuSooner repped this.
  20. OFCBDJ

OFCBDJ Member

Jul 6, 2013
    As I have said before, my crystal ball says USL and Funk, Jr. never play in OKC. I have heard that McGuinness said yes but no beer and Prodigal would have to invest 200K plus to fix the field to USL standards.

Does anyone really think that the Prodigal group can put together a "professional" team in 3 1/2 months?

Lastly, I think Prodigal has been silent for the last several weeks because they are trying to find a way out.

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  21. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 ManuSooner, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Unfortunately, there's another team already in USL-Pro that did the same thing last year, VSI Tampa. And look what a rousing success that has become...Apparently it is almost the norm to go into USL with little or no planning or forethought.
    VSI Tampa put out big announcements about building a temporary stadium, yadda, yadda, yadda. And then they went silent for a long time. In the end, I think it was about 2 weeks before the season started, they finally announced they were going to play in a small baseball stadium out in Plant City, FL. They then proceeded to draw less than 1000/game.
    L.A. Blues has never seemed, to me, to be serious about selling tickets. They have played games in, I believe, THREE DIFFERENT stadiums this past season. And they ALSO proceeded to draw less than 1000/game.
    Phoenix. Siiiigh. What to say about Phoenix. I know that @kenntomasch can give a much more accurate assessment of that situation. But they made grand pronouncements before the season. They said they spent $600,000 bringing in grandstands and luxury boxes. Then, they changed their stadium before the end of the season this year. And apparently, the stadium they changed to was like Edmond Soccer Club, not a professional venue.
    So, like I said, not having a plan in USL-Pro does not seem to be as uncommon as one would hope.
    I so hope you're right.

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently sir, you are a mutant with heightened future-telling powers...

23. OFCBDJ

OFCBDJ Member

Jul 6, 2013
    NO..apparently not. I thought they would never play. I was wrong. I cannot believe they are going to try and make a go of it in such a short time period.

24. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+