Hypothetically, what is more important right now?

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by goindownsouth, Aug 18, 2008.

1. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Battery have a great chance on a national stage in the US Open Cup. Yet, at the same time, they are in 3rd in the USL...

This begs the question - somewhat similar to that in other countries - for the Battery, is it better to win the USL or the US Open Cup?

I am curious to read everyone's thoughts.

Dan

2. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Hmm...well mathmatically we stand a great chance of getting into the playoffs (only maybe 1 or 2 matches away from locking a spot) so with that said if we can get a win in Miami and at least tie Puerto Rico on the 24th and 22nd respectivly then i'd say go for the Open Cup...we have nothing to lose. I can see the league being very important but like Vancouver and PR we're kind of sitting pretty right now and can afford to prepare for the Open Cup.

So my vote's for the Open Cup...could open up more doors for us

3. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which makes me wonder this as well... What doors could a US Open Cup victory open for the Battery?

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winner of the USOC gets an automatic entry into next year's CONCACAF Champions League. The Impact is already in it as "Champions of Canada" after beating TFC. Two USL teams in it would be pretty impressive (or a bad sign for MLS, take your pick).
    So ..... huge doors. And lots of revenue :)

That being said, I think you should just blow that off and concentrate on USL :D

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definatly the USOC.

Look at the Batterys line up against Portland the week before the USOC match agaisnt Seattle.

and like RevHamBat said. we only need to qualify in the top 7 to get to the playoffs and there is no monetary gain from finishing in first place or seventh place.

with the USOC a win could be up to $100K ($50K to runner up) but it does oen posiible revenue from the CCL, TV money, appearence fees, additional ticket revenue, sponsor opportunities, the CCL could be a $500K winfall for the club, more if they advance deep into the tournament.

Mikey

6. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Dont forget the extra 10k you get for being the furthest team from your league

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the battery got that too but according to Andrew Millers blog, it looks like Seattle gets that slice of the pie.

8. SWED

SWED New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USOC in a heartbeat. Charleston is nearly a lock into the USL playoffs. A USOC win puts them up there with the MLS guys and international soccer is much more prestigious than maybe moving up or down a slot in USL1 seeding. Its not even close.

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USOC, no question. Every US soccer fan remembers Rochester winning the USOC in 1999. Probably not 10 of those same people (not counting Rochester fans) could tell you the last time they won the league.

Winning the League.......Great
    Winning the USOC.....Historic

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you, that the ownership wants to win the cup.

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I had a hunch that would be the case. I am getting pumped up for this!

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's your last day to reserve a seat on the plane :)

13. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish I could... I really do. Next year, the wife and I are making it a point to get season tickets and make the drive from Greenville for most home matches and some road matches.

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is no plane...it was cancelled due to not enough interest.

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    slackers :)

j/k, that was a hard sell - but damn nice of the team to try to pull it off.
    So, pack the buses instead.

16. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I was going to be very surprised if we had pulled that off. One week to make the sale....no home matches to pimp the ride.....tough. But just as well, more time for the bus riders to get properly lubricated. :D

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    USOC. Go up there and beat the piss out of those bastards!
    I'll be at the Battery/Railhawks game on Sept. 6th in Cary. I want to high five all of you guys.

18. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will see you there MRAD12. Some of us are going up there, we are lead by Mikey. lol.

19. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lets see hmmm

Well you lot whanna know what some crazy, poor, soccer fanatic in TX things. I sure hope ya do cus I'm gonna tell ya.

The Open Cup is by far the more important!

#1 Yeu qualify for the CONCACAF if ya WIN!! Somethin I don't think any USL side has ever done, at least not ta my knowledge.

#2 yeu'll beat yer trans league rivals, and get tha coffe cup ;)

#3 even if ya win and go to tha CONCACAF and get tha piss shlacked out of ya in the first round, ya can still say ya beat a pompus team of MLS bastards ta get their.

NUFF SAID

Soo come on ya Cannon Swabs

FOR THE USL

FOR THE UNDERDOGS

FOR THE COFFE CUP :D

20. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    You mean no USA USL clubs has ever done, cause PR and Montreal already qualy this year. And if im correct the Sounders already played in the CONCACAF Champions Cup in the 90s before MLS existed.

21. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope one team wins.

That's all i'm hoping for right now (which is obviously an inevitability). I just can't root hard against D.C., even though deep down i know i want South Carolina's team to play well.

Getting back to the question from the Original Poster...... US Open Cup, US Open Cup, US Open Cup. That is the ultimate prize (i think anyway) for any USL side.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where in Cola are you G&B? One of the E10 regulars is going to school at USC. Is there a place to watch FSC. I actually graduated from Lexington High school but that was 20 years ago and I dont get up more than a couple times a year now.

23. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to USC right now and live on campus. I'm originally from Irmo, though (Irmo High School).

There might be a few bars that carry FSC downtown, but I'm not sure. I need to find out because I REALLY want to watch this game.

I'm pumped. I hope you guys cheer on the Battery well up in D.C.

Btw, I was on vacation down at the Isle of Palms at the beginning of June and i made it out to the Montreal game (it was my second time at Blackbaud). I had a great time and was happy to see the Battery win.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Battery fan, "Corbin" just started this year and said he found somewhere to watch the match. Not exactly sure but I think he said its like a Catholic community center on campus somewhere. he is definaly looking for a place to watch the Final though.

Also Battery on FSC this Friday night.

Mikey

25. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    or you could just drive down to Charleston and come watch the match with the Battery fans that arent making the trip to DC and watch it with us at Madra Rua