Hypothetical Supporters Section Roof Question

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: He was making a joke.

It does? Cause that's news to us considering renderings of the stadium haven't been released publicly yet.

2. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think our problem is "douche-related." People in our supporters section stand on the metal bleachers to get a better view, then they end up dancing and jumping up and down on them. I don't think anybody intentionally tries to break the seats. It just happens. We did a pretty good job this season (after the first game) keeping people off of the bleachers, but it's just human nature to try to get to the best sightline possible at a sporting event. If everyone around you is standing, getting up on the bleachers is just the next, logical step (for short people).

3. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

Dear Rob
    How about some pictures of this supposive new stadium that is being built? If you want to charge me more for a roof then so be it. You know what, it better be a real roof not some stage covering that is 50'x50' covering just the middle of the section. Just saying. If the stage covering is already going to be there don't charge me more for something special when it is not.

4. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    “The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.” Tolstoy

My feeling is the entire project is being redesigned, the economy has tanked since the initial renderings were released. Malls, Stripmalls, and Retail in general are TANKED. It may not be a great idea to pack the area with all those retail attractions. Retail is generally stuff NO ONE needs, but wants.

This next round of renderings and plans will surely have a different, maybe scaled down, look. It wont effect the stadium much, but all that retail around it from the earlier renderings? You would be crazy to start building a mall or shopping area at all right now.

Mall vacancies are at a ten year high, 10%, and most of those are in neighborhoods where people have real income. Neighborhood and community shopping centers, 9% vacancies, they are sinking at almost the same rate and those are expected to double over the next two years. One in five shops in your local mall will be boarded up.

Long story short, they have to rehash, rethink, and retrofit the old designs, as the philosphy of the first renderings were based on an entirely different reality which was =
    "Americans will drive anywhere to blow money on stuff they dont need, and then think about paying for it later with added interest." We wont see anything for another month is my guess. More Stadium , less retail. This round of renderings is the hardest to do, the first round was just IDEA, this set takes alot longer as it's the final design of the whole park. Patience. I hate bleachers and could care less if there is a roof. Either way, we have to wait.

Matthias

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said this is a tremendous time to build. Costs have decreased significantly and are continuing to go down.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "ye who doesn't ask will likely never receive." me ;)

i agree with spoon.

7. Parlorcars

Parlorcars New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Raytown, mo
    If the retail economy is as bad as the media says it is, why is there new business construction going on within 6 miles of Bannister. Hy-Vee and Wal-mart are both building new stores in Raytown. Ok, let’s say that the new construction is Raytown is a fluke. At the intersection of MO-50 and I-470 (approximately 9.1 miles from Bannister) is one of the largest retail expansions I’ve seen in years. This expansion is going in across from the Summit Woods Crossing retail district. It is my understanding that over 80% of the new retail space is already leased. Let’s not forget all the new retail business going in on the Pflumm side of the I-435 loop.

Now let’s look at the positive economics of all this new retail space. Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs. Heavy equipment operators, electricians, heating and cooling laborers, brick layers, builders, and carpenters. Shall we include all the jobs that have been added to our economy due to infrastructure improvements for all this retail space? Yes the strip mall may be dying but it is probably because the consumer wants to go to a shopping district that is more diverse rather than a mall with 16 shoe stores, 72 restaurants, and an anchor tenant or two.

We can debate why the public is seeing and/or hearing nothing about the Bannister Mall redevelopment all we want. It’s plain and simple. Until we are told otherwise, it’s none of our business. When they decide it is our business they will let us know.

Here’s a conspiracy theory for you. Jackson County and Kansas City have done what every community in America has done and requested a part of the Federal Government stimulus package to help the Bannister redevelopment project. More money, more jobs, more economic growth for Kansas City. If they are delaying the project because of this theory then I guess I support this delay as long as I get the SSS I have been salivating over for these last few years. One with a roof, and with the supporter section in the TV camera view and not on a bleacher stacked stage covered with a 50x50 piece of cloth called a roof. After all, this stadium is being built with our money via federal, state, county and city taxes. And do not forget my little family’s season tickets.

You may now start attacking my theory. Shields are up and at 100%.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to mention that one of the best ways for us to get out of this crisis is for spending to take place. Nothing better than big projects like this. The construction and demolition itself is going to create a ton of jobs for the crews and could generate enough revenue for the suppliers of materials to get them to hire more people or keep them from laying people off.

9. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis Black had a whole rant about this in one of his stand-ups, stating that a public works project works better than tax cuts and stimulus checks...though he may be nuts, it makes quite a bit of sense.