Hwang Hee-chan @ FC RB Salzburg 2016-2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by batumchange2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #126 takeuchi, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    You really don't have a clue of the role of CF, do you? He has done nothing but run channels.. that's it. If he shows other aspects, I can see the "promise" of even using him as CF but he hasn't. He hasn't even played CF at Red Bull. He isn't tasked to hold the ball .. blah blah blah or whatnot.

Aside from goal scoring, of which.. I don't even rate Hwang's goal scoring at Austrian league (along w/ his awful shooting technique & his poor conversion rate)... Ji DW.. at least has skills & ability as CF. Aside from goals (of which, not many from FCA scored anyways).. in stats, he pretty much is tops in every category. Ji DWs ball control, even in tight situation with tall CBs disrupting him from the back.. is near top of CFs in Bundesliga for having the least poor ball control on avg per game (CFs typically top the list for all clubs in this area).

KNT is better off using Son as CF. Neither are CF but at least has pace & wicked shot. Hwang has neither... I would even use Lee SW as false 9 or Koo JC + even Han CH as CF over Hwang HC. Even the young Cho YW, player I rate below Hwang HC is better candidate as CF. At least he works hard & works the CBs.

edit - btw, Ji DW was most improved player in 1st half of Bundesliga. He showed a lot more than you think he did.

2. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I don't ignore that. I really respect his early success. But with stupid career decisions and bad luck with managers and injuries, he lost his form imo.
    The actual Ji is not significantly better than Ji 4 years ago (he improved in many aspects of course, but he's still no starting material for FCA which is worrisome. He had many chances this season because the two main strikers from FCA were absent, but he couldn't profit 100% imo.
    If he wants to become FCA's nr1 CF and stay our (KNT) nr 1 CF, I want him to train hard as well. We need the sharp Ji from 4 years ago or from earlier this season.

jessypjs and killaorca repped this.
  3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #128 aeh1991, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    I see the point. You mean the "classical" CF, the tactical role, while I meant CF as a position, aka striker (nowadays many people use these words as synonyms). The correct word should've been striker.

Edit: "Ji has one of the best stats", "Ji was most improved player in the 1.half" ---> okay, it's nice. But why does every Augsburg fan still have doubts on him? And why was he benched when Finnbogason and Bobadilla returned? I'd rather prefer him having bad stats but make more of his chances. Sry for being off topic

4. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's a club/league where Takumi Minamino is also used as "striker" :rolleyes:

5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    We can continue or discussion once Hwang goes to a bigger club. It's useless from both of us to discuss this. Our opinions are too much apart.

6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    tbf, I just want Hwang to have a good career regardless of the position he plays in. Right now he's probably better suited as a wide forward or second striker so if he succeed playing these position I won't be mad. But right now Korea is pretty dry when it comes to CFs so if he somehow becomes a legitimate striker I would be happy. So he should train hard and practice his shooting.

7. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't overlook his air attack..

8. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Ji is slightly underwhelming in the air, especially for a guy his size. If he can't score his feet, he needs to start learning to score with his head.

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    His heading for goals is bad but his ability to win aerial long balls and facilitate possession is exponentially better than most any forward we've had in a long time. Ironically, the next best one has been Koo.

Getting back on topic, thats the problem with being at big fish in a small pond, HHC just doesn't need to be that good at it when Salzburg doesn't have to resort to uglier football.

killaorca repped this.
  10. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ...?

chook90 repped this.
  12. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    chook90 and Marco91 repped this.
  13. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    they play a cup final on thursday hopefully hes more involved in that match

14. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I wonder how many key players were left out from the matchday squad.

15. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    There will be matches that he will have to sit out given that this team has so many players who could easily slot in for each other. Oberlin is back from injury early, they are promoting Wolf, Berisha, Tetteh, and maybe even Daka who all plays CF from FC Liefering.

killaorca repped this.
  16. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    The squad is just business as usual. Salzburg has 20 players who just rotates as Garcia wants.

Only new additions I can see is Wolf and Igor.

killaorca and Marco91 repped this.
  17. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    He needs to travel to Korea soon. I wonder if he's going to miss the cup match.

18. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I guess he will fly to Korea right the next morning after the match...how stressful...

killaorca repped this.
  19. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    if park jooho doesnt have to show up early because of some family stuff hwang heechan can play in a cup final

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Valentino Lazaro (21) and Konrad Laimer (20) are on the verge of moving to Leipzig. They supposedly need a bigger squad because of CL schedule. IMO Lazaro is pretty overrated (his first decent season; I actually rate Minamino more than him) and is not more talented than HHC (even tho different positions).
    I think if HHC can repeat his good season, he might move next year to Leipzig as well, no matter how good he is in reality.
    I also assume that Oscar Garcia might become Leipzig manager one day depending on Hasenhuttl's career (he seems happy at Leipzig, but if he continues his good job, it's only a matter of time until bigger teams want him).
    That would be good for HHC, but as I said, it's my own assumption.

zdrstvte and killaorca repped this.
  21. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I heard somewhere that Oscar Garcia is linked with ASSE, but should that happen...i think it's a too high level for Hwang to move with him, at least for now.

22. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Minamino is definitely the better player, but he only has one year left on the contract, and I'm not sure how keen he would be in renewing the contract, and that probably had an effect too.

I don't think Hwang is going to move any time soon. Lazaro is moving because Leipzig doesn't really have a good replacement LW for Forsberg and that's probably why he's moving.

If you look at their CF options, they have a striker who's younger and a lot better than Hwang, and his partner Poulsen looks solid too. Add Selke who's also waiting in line, along with part-time CF Burke, I don't fancy his chances.

23. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Yes, true that. Burke is only emergency CF tho. I think Forsberg was used more as a CF than him. Also, Selke is in talks with Bremen. The plan is to use Sabitzer as RW & CF while Lazaro will "replace" him as LW/RW.

The model of Leipzig is similar to Salzburg: Basically every offensive player can play one of the 4 offensive positions with a few exceptions who have fixed positions (like Werner in Leipzig or Oberlin in Salzburg).

Hwang who could play as one of the CF plus RW, would easily fit in that system if one or two important player leave after next season (Forsberg heavily linked with EPL clubs, Werner possibly to Bayern someday, Poulsen wanting more playing time, etc.). But as I said, I think Hwang will stay for at least half a season in Salzburg and will be a candidate for Leipzig one day unless he really fails or Oberlin or Wanderson excell him. Minamino will also be an indirect opponent. A tough competition but not impossible. It's up to him.

24. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Don't forget they will splash out as well. They are not just going to take players from Salzburg. Also not sure what you mean by Poulsen wanting more playing time. He started most games this season anyway... How much more playing time can he get?

Hwang had a very lucky breakout season. Soriano leaving, Gulbrandsen being injured and shipped off, in-form Oberlin being injured, he was essentially the only CF available. Next season I expect a lot more competition; Oberlin will be expecting to start himself as well, not to mention Mergim Berisha also looking to prove himself from FC Liefering.

One good news is that Minamino may be sold this summer. His contract is up in 2018, and if he doesn't sign an extension, Salzburg would want to cash out.

25. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    i hope he doesnt move to leipzig especially if it means extending his contract. of all things he can do this summer thatd be one of the absolute worst. between leipzig and salzburg the organizations got way too many young attacking talent. manager has unlimited number of toys to play with and itd just translate into endless competition for playing time. the best option would be to avoid leipzig altogether but if he has to go he should wait until hes fully established himself at salburg