Hungarian national team [R]

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by zmse, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    szaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss................................

3 - 2...8 minutes left...

2. zmse

zmse New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Hungary
    DSF?

how did they comment the game?

3. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the updates, Vfbstuttgartfan. Good win for Hungary!

4. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Because they can afford Hungary, and they aren t too richm and since Lothar Matthaus is the coach, they show all their matches. For people like me, this is huge luck, because it means that for the first time in years im able to watch all of Hungary s national matches live.

5. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK
    not why ... how!! :D

6. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Oops, they do alright, but they have no clue how to pronounce any of the players names which gets annoying after a while, and they have just one camera, but its ok.

7. sanyi

sanyi Member

Aug 9, 2003
    KÜLFÖLD

sabisz imre, hüszti szaboles, löw csolt, géra coltán, rózsa denesz, celezsi coltán,
    juhás roland, tott andrasz, csepes gábor.......................

our national team according to the dsf commentator:)

hüszti szaboles was the most impressive invention, i wondered how the hell
    the guy found that out?????????????????

8. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Ok...anyone who mentions the Sweden game will be shot...just a warning...don t pollute this great thread.

9. StSt

StSt New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    forum.levski.bg
    ok... i most definately don't want to be shot, so i will take great care in not mentioning the unmentionable :rolleyes:

what about the great lothar - is he off reach as well :confused:

i must say i am a great admirer of magyar football and especially of the progress of your clubs in europe during the last few years. when we drew hungary as a fifth seed in our WCQ group i was telling my friends that the bulgarian "garnitura" is in for a bad trip to budapest, and possibly for a tragedy in sofia. i fully expected sweden (underachievers in qualifying), croatia (crappy) and hungary (inexperienced at winning) to battle at top, while bulgaria (very crappy) and iceland (total crap away from home) to compete for 4th... however when lothar was appointed as a coach, i saw a glimmer of hope... having followed closely his career at vienna and belgrade i knew he is - to put it gently - way overvalued...

what do you magyars think of his worth, as demonstrated in the last three games? could somebody else have done better?

don't shoot me now :p

best

10. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
    Hi,

How should Zoltan Gera (Superstar) be pronounced?

When we chant his name at the matches the fans tend to use 'Gee-rer' (to rhyme with Shearer) but when I speak his name I tend to use 'Geh-ra'.

He's proving to be a big hit with the Albion fans.

11. hungaryforever

hungaryforever New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    First to John:

Hi! :)
    Glad to hear those things about Gera.

You should pronunciate it like Gheh-ra.
    In hungarian G is like gh in english.

Second to StSt (?):

Well, I think Lothar is overestimated as a coach, but I do think, that he is a good choice for our NT. He brang some fighting spirit for us, which was rare here cause of political reasons (don't want to analize that in this forum).
    I think we can get at least a draw at home pitch against anybody, but that will enough for 4th place only.
    And I'd like to wish a good luck to Bulgaria, always liked you and your country (don't want to tell why here too).

12. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I think it was good to choose Matthaus. First of all we needed a foreign trainer because, unfortunately, Hungary has not spawned and great trainers in the last decade or so, and since German football is very similar to ours in the way it is played (though much better, obviously), it was good to get Lothar. And also, he is a world and European champ and i believe (though correct me if im wrong) that he has also won the champions league, so this is a guy who has won as much as you can win as a player, and that is important if we want to have someone who can steer our ship tosuccess which has eluded us ever since pre - WC 86. And he won the title with Partizan and drew with Real Madrid when they were at the peak of their form, so to say that he has echieved nothing as a coach is , in itself, and understatement. Not to mention that we were playing great right up to when the qualifiers started.

13. StSt

StSt New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    forum.levski.bg
    hey guys,

i was following this discussion since the summer, and i see you have not changed your stance about lothar in light of the last three games - and those imho were an awful waste for your football and the generation you have now...

i still think your team is quality, let's wait and see what's going to happen untill next summer... i believe lothar is the wrong man though and i hope he will prove me right ;)

on a lighter note (well lighter for a vfb fan anyway lol) -
    well he has not... but he came close, once 4 minutes, the second time 2 minutes away... only three names - madger (sp? - do not mistake with magyar lol), sheringham and solskjaer...shhh - i hope no munich fan is reading this or i will be shot :eek:

and btw i'm really happy that bulgaria has a positive image amongst some of you...

funny enough i think i have an idea why hungaryforever likes bulgaria... i think it is for the same "beauty" reason some polish people i talked to a few weeks back liked bulgaria a lot... and to tell you the truth, hungary and poland are two of the most liked countries in bulgaria, for the reason of, hmm, the quality exports you send us (at the sea resorts) every summer :D

14. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Ger - rhymes with "hair"
    a- rhymes with the "u" in nut (uh sound)

15. O.K.

O.K. New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Debrecen, Hungary
    Hey StSt,

you are right, Lothar is not the right man for our national team, he was not the great choice many here in Hungary thought he would turn out to be. At the time he was elected, there were other names circling the media, but most agreed we need a foreigner...or rather a 'big name'. I would have opted for László Bölöni, he might have been available then, worked with teams in France (now with Rennes) and the Romanian National Team and he presented some good ideas for progression in Hungarian football, not just the national team.

So we got Matthäus instead, quite inexperienced as a coach, but with a grand design...qualifying for the World Cup 2006 in his homeland. I'm quite sure he knew next to nothing about conditions surrounding football here in Hungary, but he made that aspiring statement, his first big mistake. Expectations were set too high, like at the beginning of every tournament qualification in the last 20 years.

Of course when the major disappointment comes everyone blames the coach. Strange thing is, this time most fans seem to defend him against critics, more than any other coach before him. They say he achieved more with the national team, than anyone before him in the last few years and he needs more time to work things out with the team, and if we manage those home games against Bulgaria, Croatia and Sweden we've still got a chance, etc. etc.

Where are those achievements I ask? A friendly win against Germany and thats it. How much time does he need to bring on a solid team? He's been here for almost a year now with many friendlies to experiment in. How can we expect home points against teams who clearly outclass us, while our lackluster play is without any concept whatsoever? Why are second-rate players (Molnár, Tóth, Kovács) out-of-form players (Szabics, Gyepes) continuously in the starting line-up? How can he recruit players he's never seen before? Many, many questions.

Still, I don't want to blame it completely on him. He has poor advisors and not all the support he could get. There are many other factors, why our football is crap, but that's not Lothar's problem. I just think if he was any good as a coach he could have done better.

Btw., StSt, i'm curious why you don't trust your team to get a good result in Hungary...nothing suggests otherwise.I think you'll probably win your home game against us and get point(s) in Hungary, but I won't be mad if you were the better judge of this. :)

16. Fradika

Fradika New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    miami
    OK hes name is Geerah in english, cause its hard to pronounce otherwise. If you want to flatter him try G' (as in Gecko) rah, or G'rah, rathen than pronouncing the "G" a "J"

i watched that west brom game live, and it was the hot ********. We miss you Gera

17. goalpdl

goalpdl Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Mattheus left Belgrade after he had only been there for a short time, I thought that was wrong. And, if German Football had approached him to coach the German National Team, he would have been gone too.

Here is the deal, Mattheus is only concerned about Mattheus.

If Hungary were losing their away outings 1-0 or 2-1, I would not be so hard on him, but his teams have given up 8 goals in their last three games. Is this because we do not have the talent? No, that is no longer the case in Europe. The gap between good teams and bad teams is narrowing. And, Hungary do have the talent.

The challenge of any good manager is to put a team together that is going to gel together. Mattheus has obviously not figured this out yet. Besides, his resume as a coach is suspect. His ego is too big for him to be in a job to inspire others. He is only there for his own interests which is to coach the German National Team someday. (But...judging from the German Press, hell would have to freeze over for that to happen).

I think there are other good coaches out there Hungary could pick. Hell, even Bora Milutinovic would be a good choice over Mattheus. He has a resume with some success.

18. Danishrossonero

Danishrossonero New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Geneva
    Bora Milutinovic would be PERFECT for Hungary. He s got a great reputation of bringing smaller teams into the finals.
    And, correct me if im wrong, but by what i know of Hungarian football, i would come to the conclusion that the fact that Bölöni worked with the Romanian national team is reson enough for him to never be even in contention for the national spot...

19. hungaryforever

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    I think Bölöni would be perfect for us too.
    And he is ethnic hungarian, not romanian.

Bora is not perfect for us. Poor, him, I'm sure he wouldn't have been the right man. He is good coach, but the players would boycott him. Our players don't like to work hard :((

If we won't beat Malta (I think we'll win), Matthäus is quit.
    But I do believe, that we have some chances.
    All in all what happened? We lost 2 away matches, possibly the 2 hardest. The scores were a big disappointment (3-0), but eventually, this is the reality. We have many matches remaining here at home. And I'm sure we'll do better at home pitch.

So if Matthäus will leave us, I would see Bölöni as our national coach, but surely don't want to see a hungarian-hungarian coach.

20. hungaryforever

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    A little addition:

I think the main problem for our teams, not only the national teams, the lack of willingness, and fighting spirit. And Matthäus brought us some. I can see some changes. We don't play for draw, we want to win every games. Of course, sometimes it means a big loss (like against Romania, when we deserved a draw at least), but this is the right way.

21. StSt

StSt New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    forum.levski.bg
    ha,

so there are competitive opinions on lothar then... well i guess we'll just have to wait till the spring and see how things pan out... thank you everybody for the detailed insights for the state of magyar football at present, i must say i learned a lot...

why, because:
    1.hungary (5th pot) is underrated:
    look at the number of players you sold only these last couple of years into the top5 leagues in europe; look at the spectacular progress hungarian clubs have made in european competitions in the last 3 years after over a decade of anonymity; look at the rising level of professionalism, investments and true competition in the hungarian dometic league.

2.bulgaria (3rd pot) is overrated:
    look at the lack of players we place in the top5 leagues in europe in the last couple of years; look at the humiliating early exits of our top clubs from european competitions in the last couple of years; look at the plumeting level of professionalism, investments and competitiveness in the bulgarian domestic league.

'nuf said.

hristo stoichkov imho is our only chance, and lothar in charge of hungary - imho - only comes as an unexpected bonus :D

22. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Though i appreciate your high opinion on Hungary, i doubt that you are correct.
    Lets see, players in the top five leagues :
    Sandor Torghelle(Crystal Palace) - has yet to score for the club
    Gabor Kiraly - Has recently started playing as a starter after a half year on the bench in Berlin.
    Zoltan Gera - Strong performances so far
    Marton Fulop (Tottenham) - third choice keeper at Spurs...won t be seeing much of him
    Krisztian Lisztes - Injured for 6 months now
    Imre Szabics - Substitute at VfB
    Tamas Bodog - Strong year for him so far at Mainz
    Löw, Bajzat, Töködy, Tököli and Szelesi - playing in the second league.
    Babos - good in Holland

And thats about it for foreign players, and none of them are stars in their leagues(though Lisztes was before his injury).

As for our teams in Europe...we never get more than one team past the first round of the Uefa Cup! And they go out in the second round.
    And a decade ago we had teams in the Champions League which we never have now...so i don t see too much progress there either.

23. StSt

StSt New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    forum.levski.bg
    my point was not to make a comparisment w/ the early '90s, or GOD forbid the early '50s or '30s...

i was making a comparisment with the last few (like 5) years... imho bulgarian football is at its lowest point (apart from stoichkov, who is an alien and doesn't count) since the turn of the century... imho magyar football is near its high point (apart from matthaus, who is an alien and doesn't count).

i suppose the truth as always is somewhere in the middle ;)

best

24. Hungaria

Hungaria New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Fatönksziget
    With that great attitude i would guess StSt stands for S.t Steven. :)

25. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    To be fair on him, i did miss out a bunch of good players in my list...