PBP: Hull City/Jozy v Bolton, 8/22 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Beantowner, Aug 19, 2009.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    wow, that's rich. You compared Feilhaber's quality to Tevez and Mascherano :rolleyes: I love Benny, and think he could still raise his game a level or 2 yet...but c'mon

2. DDCaptain

DDCaptain New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    San Diego
    Well its simple Xerez and their fans don't live their lives through a 19yo american striker like bigsoccer members do. They got promoted to La Liga without playing him. So why do they care what Jozy could of done for them. Plus wasn't Jozy injured most his time there anyway.

3. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that Xerez might have missed out on by not playing Jozy is a striker that might have been good for them once their new season in the primera started. Getting there was one thing. Staying will be quite another.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the last month having surgery on a bad toenail.

5. dogfish head

dogfish head New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Western Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uhm, sorry but Brown is not considered a quality coach. He's actually very new to the coaching game. Even as a player, he never made it to the Prem. He was in charge of Derby County but was removed after 6 or 7 months. Yes, he's helped Hull get to the top flight, but you can NOT put him on par with Wenger, Ferguson, et al... perhaps when you were typing "Brown" you were meaning to type Mourinho? :D

Also, his name is (Kamel) Ghilas... proper spelling helps remove confusion (not trying to be a d!ck)

6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's not what he did.
    He made the point that if a player isn't playing, it's not always on the player.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sometimes it's on the poster! ;)

8. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    yes, but the decision to bench Tevez and Mascherano is far crazier than to bench Feilhaber. Its hard to imagine benching those 2 on their reputations alone. But what was Feilhaber's reputation? Add to that his form at the time, and its apples and oranges. Feilhaber really didn't show much when he did get minutes at Derby. It was just a bad fit all the way around. Of course, Tevez and Mascherano have more than proven since they are stars in EPL

9. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Great debut for Jozy. Wonderful seeing the support from everyone -- right down to the announcers. Can't wait to see more of his Hull adventure.

Can't believe no one took the opportunity...
    "The rain in Spain stays mostly in the plain." Go 'ull!

10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    What he needs to do is play hard, keep his mouth shut and let his game do the talking. The "American football mentality" has no place in real football. The Euros and their refs won't much care for the macho swagger and badboy attitude coming from a 19-yr old.

11. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? His maturity and composure is fantastic -- and his being 19 makes it even more refreshing.

12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what he is referring to is intensity. Jozy seems to be eager and intense ... and is willing to attack (although he needs to be careful how selfish in the attack he becomes - even Anelka knows how to play in balance with Drogba). Yes he needs to play hard and keep his mouth shut - but Jozy has never been one to spout off. With vets like Boateng around - certainly they can mentor him well. The "American football mentality" is one of playing with intensity and commitment .. certainly that is vital to "true football".

13. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes - my mistake with Ghilas versus Gillas.

My point about quality coach was ability to train a squad well, set them up to succeed, and to trust the players. Certainly he had to do that well to help Hull get promoted. The fact that he threw Altidore out there at minute 61 in the home match with such little time with the squad shows the willingness to trust his decisions and the player. Other lesser coaches will play it safe and not do that.

Wenger, and Mourinho, and Ancelotti are outstanding coaches - but they have the luxury of a big bank .... Looking at David Moyes and Roy Hodgson and others who get results with less financial resources is equally as impressive in my book.

14. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a link to highlights of the game? Every link I've seen so far has been taken down.

15. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go to footytube.com...under the england link at the top

16. dogfish head

dogfish head New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Western Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Point taken...

17. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you

18. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't see the match so i'll only ask: was he too selfish? it is surprising to see that sentiment. with the senior NT, he's only been too UNselfish in his career. i don't know if i can even think of a time where i thought he was too selfish.

19. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's just no excuse for that at this point. ;)

There were two instances where he could have passed but didn't (one where he certainly should have passed to an open Ghilas for a definite attempt on goal, but didn't). But he probably was a bit excited, the situation being what it was. Certainly nothing to worry about.

20. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a little selfish on a couple of attacks where he was trying to beat guys with his footwork, which was a little rusty. On one case he missed not 1 but 2 players on wide open runs that were flagging for the ball and would have resulted in simple goals.

You have to cut him some slack though. Only one day or 2 to practice with the team?? Impressive over all. The patience in attack will come.

21. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting. thanks for the updates.

IIRC, there have been a couple of times with the Nats (vs. Italy most recently) where he missed obvious shooting opportunities and tried to lay it off instead. since that was the most recent football he has played (pretty much the ONLY football he has played in last year) I wonder if he's reacting to that. bc it seems to me I've seen Altidore with a good 3-4 glorious shot opportunities with the Nats lately, only to seem him do a clunky lay-off, which never works. now he's being too selfish? weird. that's what you get with a 19 year old I suppose.

22. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought on the one where Ghilas' shot off the post came back to him he was trying to pass. He just wrong chose to beat a man first and it went over the goal for a corner.

23. mdjw_41

mdjw_41 New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Hi guys,

Jozy did well on his debut and lived up to the hype that we expected. He's expected to start for us tonight in the Carling Cup when we play Southend (2 divisions below Hull.) I'd expect him to perform well again, and hopefully score before we play Wolves next Saturday.

Quite a few of you have joiend us on this Hull forum I run: www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk

Pop over for a look some time.

Matt

24. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Underestimate the Shrimpers at your peril mate, they've upset a few teams over the years! Should be a good game!

25. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's first assist and first goal are featured in this video along with Cooper and Davies also scoring goals for their new clubs: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcioXnBoGM"]YouTube - (Ronald Jenkees - Dis)Oganized Fun, H Series ep 2[/ame]

The music is from YouTube sensation, Ronald Jenkees.