Hugo Perez----Most underrated player in US history (video included)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by gv689, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he was a lousy player- he was so slow he made watching paint dry look like fun.Now, he was one of the best 11 players we had in the 80s, but never confuse him with a good soccer player.He was basically Arturo Alvarez but much slower.

2. arnoldgrand

arnoldgrand New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    ?????????? Lousy Player? I dont think you ever watched his games well. He is probably the best to ever play here in America. Rijkaard wanted him in Ajax with him. Cruyff also wanted him but his work permit did not come through. He was an awesome player-smart and the greatest ball skills I have ever seen from an American player. Best word to describe him is Astute. Dont think you know about soccer Bruce!

3. naranjamechanica

Aug 14, 2005
    I like to read these forums, but I never post. I have worked for a few clubs in my life. I followed hugo's Career very closely. I was in Holland while he played in Holland. I was in Italy when he was attempting to sign with Parma, unfortunately his injury in 89 closed the negotiations because Parma wanted Hugo to play in 90 world Cup before signing him. Hugo was fine for the world Cup, but a month before Hugo spoke out on how the Federation kept all the endorsement money for themselves. His comments made him miss the World Cup. Hugo was as great a player I have seen in the US and many parts of the World. He was not lousy as one member said. Calling him Lousy means you know nothing about Soccer. I am saddened to say this; however, he was great Player who would have had greater impact on the sport had he not become American.

4. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    I loved Hugo, but calling out Wynalda is stupid. He's only the all time leading scorer for the Nats. Additionally, he was the player of the decade for the National Team.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Perez was one of our best in the 80s. But he would not cpmpare with the players we have today.As I said, he was most like Alvarez but slower.

6. gv689

gv689 Member

Mar 31, 2005
    I strongly disagree with you Bruce. I think today's National team could use a Hugo. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Can anyone tell more about his injury in 1990?

I remember reading that it was why Gansler left him off the WC squad. But Hugo said he was fit.

What kind of injury was it? And how soon before the WC did he pick it up?

8. arnoldgrand

arnoldgrand New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Hugo broke his fibula in France before the World Cup. Hugo was fine about two months before and used those two months to get fit. If you look at the roster Hugo is in it for the 1990 World Cup. Gansler told him he was taking him. The French club offered him an extention on his contract, but Hugo was on his way to Parma like Naranja said so he refused the contract; all he needed was to play in the World Cup (That was a requirement back then to Play in Italy). When Hugo gets to America and is about to travel to Italy with the team. Federation and Gansler cut him. (It had to be the comments Hugo did of the Cheap Federation). Hugo was left with no French contract and no Italy. Later he was offered a deal from a Sweedish club. Thats mostly what Ive read in an accumulation of old Newspapers, but thats how it went. Any more questions just post them. I have alot of info on this. :)

9. luckin06

luckin06 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Yah....that guy would do some crazy things with the ball. He had good vision too. Guess he was unlucky from what I read. Anyone know if he is coaching professionally? If not, he should.

10. gv689

gv689 Member

Mar 31, 2005
    IMagine if they had him now in the middle with Reyna. US would win the group in '06!

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo should be in the Hall period.

12. arnoldgrand

arnoldgrand New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    I cant believe he didnt get in as a player. He retired 10 years ago so he will have to get in as a veteran. Thats a real disgrace, but thats what soccer in America is about.

13. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    With Tab on the flank!

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Bruce. I've seen you post for years, and this is your worst one. Hugo Perez was as fine a player as the US has ever had in terms of skill. I do agree with you, though, that he was slow, but he had fantastic control of the ball.

15. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bruce murray is the most underrated player. he was the most successful forward in our history at the time of his retirement. i compare him to art monk, the wide reciever that at the time of his retirement, had rewritten the nfl record books, but has never made the nfl due to tim brown and jerry rice playing at the same time, bruce had wynalda who everyone knew would break the record, it does not change the fact that bruce and monk were the best ever (statistically) at their time of retirements.

16. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    I played with Hugo Perez and Bruce Murray. There were a lot of players of that time that were moving soccer forward. Players with ability and talent. But it was still a naive time. Coaches fans and players really didn't know what a good palyer was. Many players were overlooked or unappreciated in those days. Some players got attention but we were not as a good as the players today. For example college soccer was many times one of the top levels of the game. It was really a poor level and lasted perhaps 3-4 months. The best players did not always go on to the profesional leagues at the time either. There weren't any just a few fledling or regional indoor leagues. Believe it or not in some cases you earned more money or had a better life in college. Only handful of players could get national team games. Bruce Murray and Hugo Perez were good players. They could easily have learned the game today and played at this level. It was just a different time on the field in American soccer. Certain pockets of the nation was playing decent soccer and vast areas weren't. Some other real players you may never have heard of were Bruce Savage, some other kid from UCLA named Dale ?something. Even Perry Van der Beck contributed.

Anyway it was a good period but a very sparse and frontier time period to where the 1990s took the game to now.

17. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Anyone who thinks that Gansler made the choice not to take Perez and Keller is seriously employing revisionist history. Back in the day, the Fed had a lot more power that the Bruce has now effectively usurped.

18. gv689

gv689 Member

Mar 31, 2005
    That is very true the Federation was the one in control and maybe still is to some extent. Hasnt anyone notice the circle of power in the US federation. It seems its always the same people in charge. Hugo was playing in France in 1990 it was absurd for him to be left out. Imagine if that were to happen in this era. There would be riots...lol. By the way did anyone see Hugo play in the colliseum this past weekend. He was tearing it up against the mexicans. He juked Galindo...lol.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A) Bob Gansler took Kasey Keller to Italia 90. As a rising junior at the University of Portland, he was the No. 3 GK behind Tony Meola and David Vanole. Keller had starred for Gansler's U20 team that made the semi-finals of the 89 World Youth Championship in Saudi Arabia. No beef between Keller and Gansler.

Keller was left off the 94 World Cup team because he didn't get along with, and publicly criticized, Bora. In fact, Keller only played in one of the 96 games the US played under Bora between 91 and 95.

There are plenty of valid things to criticize Steve Sampson about but one thing he deserves credit for is burying the hatchet with Keller and bringing him back into the national team fold. Sampson took over in the spring of 95 and in his fourth game as head coach, Keller was starting. (A 4-0 win over Mexico at RFK; I was there.)

B) Perez totally gets overlooked by US Soccer fans, historians and, apparently, Hall of Fame voters. As others have stated, he was the team's most technically gifted player for many, many years.

He only played in two qualifiers for the US for Italia 90, but he scored two goals, tying him with Frank Klopas - who also didn't make the Italia 90 roster -for the US lead in qualifying.

Here are the goal-scorers for the US in qualifying for Italia 90.

Frank Klopas – 2 (both in a blowout of Jamaica)
    Hugo Perez – 2
    Paul Krumpe – 1
    Brian Bliss – 1
    Tab Ramos – 1
    Steve Trittschuh – 1
    Bruce Murray – 1
    Eric Eichmann - 1
    Paul Caligiuri – 1

Everyone remembers Caligiuri’s goal against T&T, and for good reason. But Perez scored a goal that was just as important in helping the US qualify for Italia 90. In Sept. of 89 he scored the only goal as the US defeated El Salvador to get three key road points (though the game was played in Honduras). That was the last qualifier in which Perez played, for reasons I don’t remember. But, it’s not a coincidence that in the next two qualies after the El Salvador game, the US played a pair of 0-0 HOME games without Perez (vs. Guatemala and El Salvador), thus setting up the need for Caligiuri’s heroics in T&T.

It should also be pointed out that the first major trophy the US ever won was the 91 Gold Cup and Perez started all five of those games and scored a key goal against Costa Rica in a 3-2 win.

Also, Perez’ stats were also victimized by a change in the way FIFA counts caps played by the Olympic teams. In the 80’s, teams used full national teams for the Olympics and at the time those games counted as caps and international goals, etc…

As an 18-year old n 1984, Perez played in all three games for the US, starting two. Then, in qualifying for the 88 games, he played in three qualifiers and scored three goals, including a game-winner against T&T and two against El Salvador, one of which may have been the game-winner. (The US won 4-2 but I don’t know who had the third goal.)

Strangely, after scoring those two goals, he didn’t play in the last qualifier and was left off the roster that went to Seoul. Again, I don’t know the story there. (The coach of that team was Lothar Osiander, btw.)

So, that’s six caps and three goals that Perez lost from his cap and international goal totals. (Also victimized by this was Brent Goulet, who scored 7 goals in 9 games, including 1 goal in 3 games in the Olympics).

The point is, Perez was both a very skilled and very clutch player for the US and the fact that he isn’t in the Hall of Fame is an absolute disgrace and the voters for the Hall of Fame should be ashamed. And, the folks that haven’t voted for him should be publicly identified and stripped of their voting privileges.

20. naranjamechanica

Aug 14, 2005
    Very well Said Sandon. I saw Hugo play in LA this weekend also. He was simply amazing. I think he might be better than some reserves on the 2006 WC team. He isnt that old hes only 43. He played this weekend against 98 Mexico team (same team that beat '98 usa 2 weeks ago 3-1; Hugo's team beat them 3-2) and Some of the Argentinian WC Players. They were really good games. HUgo played in the middle with Mauricio Cienfuegos both really good players, but Hugo seemed so smart on the field. Sometimes Im ashamed of soccer in America especially with Hugo Perez's Story. I read he was starting a Soccer Academy like the Ajax has. I hope its a success, what kids are missing is technique, Im sure Hugo could teach them that.

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    IIRC, Savage was one of the more controversial omissions from the 1990 squad ... he and Ricky Davis, among others, had preferred indoor soccer (which paid well back then) to the national team (which didn't), and after the youngsters succeeded in qualifying, Gansler decided not to allow the veterans back. (Also, since you probably want to be reminded, it was Dale Ervine.)

Getting back to Perez, I wonder how much the "slow" knock is because people only remember the 1994 version ... it'd be like judging Tab Ramos only by the tail end of his career.

22. imonfire

imonfire Member

Jun 3, 2006
    I saw Hugo in the 80's, I still havent seen anyone as good as him as he was in his prime. His control and quickness not necessarily fast but quick with his first 5 steps. Near the 18 he was unstoppable. Once he got older he had to change his game, he was still really good in 1994. Hugo started almost every game before the World Cup and scored 3 goals in the last few games. He was really controlling the mid well. Against Brazil in July he looked extremely Masterful. Bottom line Hugo was an outstanding player. If Cruyff wanted him as his number 10 for his Great '89 Ajax team that really meant something. Its a shame the San Diego Soccers didnt let him go. Him and Rijkaard in the middle could have really been something special to watch especially for us Americans.

23. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    How does Hugo compare to the guys we have today such as the Landons, "da Dueces," or Gooches? If this guy almost played for Parma or Barca..then geez..he's gotta be head and shoulders above the guys on our squad..no?

24. imonfire

imonfire Member

Jun 3, 2006
    For those of us who actually watched him play in his prime I would say he was definitely ahead than most of our guys. I have never seen anyone as smart and as masterful with the ball. His vision and the ability to put the ball in the exact spot was unbelievable. He not only beat defenders with skill but with his brain. I saw him play in sweeden and in France he was definitely playing at a high level, but he is maybe one of the unluckiest men to play the game. I saw him play a year ago with a college team. He schooled those kids like nobody's businesss and these kids were really young. Hugo must have been 42 or 43. Im hoping I can see him play again.

25. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006