Hugo Perez----Most underrated player in US history (video included)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by gv689, Apr 20, 2005.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hugo was 26, thats not old at all. They did have older players, so it was something different than his age why he was left out, perhaps, a Capello-Beckam case where the coach didnt want big egos on the field?

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Hugo broke his leg 3 months before the World Cup. He argued that he was healed and fit to play. Gansler (the U.S. coach) didn't agree.

Just read through this thread. It's all explained.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If he said he was fit to play... it was the Coah then, bastard.

4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #254 La Trucha, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    He's an inspiration and it's just a shame that he wasn't able to play in the 1990 World Cup or sign with Ajax. He's kind of like an American Magico Gonzalez to me; a legendary player that could've been even better but unfortunately had some setbacks thy prevented them from doing so. That's not to trivialise Perez and Magico whatsoever!

Hopefully his 16 year old nephew Joshua Perez, who's currently at Fiorentina, will be an even better player and achieve everything that Hugo didn't get a chance to achieve; he's lucky to have an uncle like Hugo to guide him. Godspeed, Joshua!

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped belatedly. I think Gansler didn't want anyone who would question him on anything. Wonder what Bora would've done if he hadn't been coaching the Ticos.

The others were just a little bit better.

6. rob88

rob88 Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Mexico city
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He was dynamic and spicy.

7. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    Lol

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"But the USSF also ignored a lot of skilled and accomplished players like Ricky Davis (31 in June of 1990), Margetic (30), Bruce Savage (29), Kevin Crow (28), Brent Goulet (26) and Perez (26)."

What were these guys like?

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I recall, Ricky Davis was injured. Mostly though , Gansler wanted his own group of players and no indoor MISL or old NASL players. The 1990 World Cup roster resembled an NCAA college all star team of the late 1980's.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skilled and mouthy.Gansler hated those guys.
    ;)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He later got rid of Preki at KC but he also took him back two years later when he turned 39 yeas of age.

12. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    Some coaches hate skilled players because they have big egos and they don't do "what they are told"

I'm interested to know if there are any tapes of Hugo playing those friendlies with Ajax...

Also, why would Parma want to sign him if Cruyff in fact never coached Parma...

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My cousin played for Hugo with the USA U-15's I believe it was. Hugo liked him but he was a more technical Euro type of player and not really all that tall. Like Perez, he was standing only 5 ft 8 or 5 ft 7 in. That was good for college but not so much when it came time to trying to latch on to an MLS club. Maybe another thing MLS coaches lack in their decision making when looking to sign players. Aside from the more expensive DP's, looking at the regular run of the mill players as Alessandro Nesta once said, "its a big, fast and physical league but tactics and techniques are more in need". It would be nice for the league to go down that path but the culture of American coaches is a tough thing to break and I don't think that philosophy will change in MLS at least for another 10-15 years.

14. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick Davis and Hugo Perez were injured and so did not play the 1990 World Cup, very unlucky.

Bruce Savage, Kevin Crow and Brent Goulet are good players. Another snobby player was Thomas Dooley.

But it is unfair to criticize Bob Gansler, he was a good coach and chose good players to play 1990 World Cup.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From 1985-1990, the only D1 league was the MISL and Gansler didn't really have much of a choice but to use a college all star team. He had to go with players who were playing outdoors and couldn't concentrate on anyone playing indoor soccer and risk qualifying for the WC. He did the best he could without a league. Bora actually had it easier as he didn't have to qualify and he had already had experienced players. Many of whom were playing in Europe. Off the top of my head, Dooley, Harkes, Ramos, Stewart , Klopas , Caligiuri and Wegerle. Bringing it back to the thread, he also brought back Perez in 1994.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawd, I'm so tired of hearing this tired song-and-dance. There are plenty of great players in MLS that are 5'8'' or smaller. Mike Magee, at a towering 5'7'' was an MLS MVP. Joao Plata seems to do alright at measly 5'2''. Maybe your cousin just wasn't that good of a footballer, don't blame every coach in MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 and superdave repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe there are some exceptions but looking at the league, they are very few and far between. There were none on the Earthquakes where my cousin tried out. GM John Doyle and/or coach Frank Yallop simply didn't consider signing many players that height or size. That was virtually their excuse for not signing him. Dom Kinnear refused to sign another player in Houston for that very reason.

18. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    We have bunch of 6 footers that can't even tackle properly, is more of a wrestling match than a soccer game in some cases.

MLS and epl used to be worse, a few more talented players are coming into these leagues now.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #269 falvo, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    You said Hugo! Bigger doesn't always mean better. John Doyle in San Jose also got rid of 5ft 8 inch Rafa Baca I believe because he thought he wasn't that big and wasn't cutting it. He seems to be doing well in Liga MX for Cruz Azul though as he is used primarily as a central mid...