HUGE possible format changes to CL starting in 2018

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by shizzle787, Jan 29, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 shizzle787, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-giants-plotting-revamped-champions-7260605

Apparently, all the big European clubs want to be guaranteed a spot in the CL every year, regardless of league position. There will be qualifying for the remaining teams.

This is an incredibly bad idea, but if it happened it could be formatted like this (32-team group stage).

Guaranteed Group Stage participation:
    Title holders
    Manchester City
    Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Barcelona
    Real Madrid
    Atletico Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Juventus
    Milan
    Inter
    PSG
    Qualifying Tournament
    Best-non automatic team (leagues 1-54, excluding Liechtenstein)-champions in most cases
    2nd best-non automatic team (leagues 1-10)
    3rd best-non automatic team (leagues 1-6)

Those 70 clubs would fight (over likely three rounds) for 16 spots in group stage.

Playoff Round:
    best team (1-10)
    2nd best team (1-6)
    3rd best team (1-3)
    13 winners from 3rd qualifying round

3rd Qualifying Round:
    best team (11-15)
    2nd best team (7-10)
    3rd best team (4-6)
    14 winners from 2nd qualifying round

2nd Qualifying Round:

best team (16-33)
    10 winners from 1st qualifying round

1st Qualifying Round:
    best team (34-54, excluding Liechtenstein)

EvanJ repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be unfair to Spain (getting 3 automatic clubs compared to 5 for England), Portugal (not getting any automatic clubs), and AS Roma (second in the last two and six of the last ten complete Serie A seasons). Where you said 70 clubs, it would be 69 (54 - Liechtenstein = 53 + 10 +6 = 69).

Edit: Assuming England remains in the Top 3 leagues, it would get 8 Champions League spots including the Playoff Round. If England continued to get 3 Europa League spots, 11 clubs (a majority of the Premier League) could be competing in Europe if the FA Cup and Capital One Cup were both won by Premier League clubs.

3. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    This would result in me watching even more Europa League games. I enjoy that competition already, it's a bit like a time machine, lots of previously big clubs from smaller countries. Now it would include Leicesters and other cinderellas.

Something like this happened to Europe's basketball. Big teams have guaranteed spots for an X number of years, after which spots can be awarded again for another term -- or taken away if their domestic or financial results are bad. It's not terrible, the competition itself is interesting, but it would be interesting anyway.

It definitely would lower stakes in the Premier League, Serie A, etc. It could also add some financial stability to some of these big clubs, especially clubs like Inter.

I think eventually it's going to happen, so I don't see a reason to be too upset at the inevitable. But I think definitely I'd end up watching more Europa League.

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    I really don't like it, UEFA was trying to even things out between the big clubs and the smaller clubs in the last few years. This would do the opposite, it would create a bigger gap which is not good for the game. Creating the champions path and non champions path in qualifiers has helped smaller nations.

5. It isnot the job of the UEFA to insure financial stability for clubs by guaranteeing them a bag of money. The f.cking shit heads have to earn it. If they cannot, it is their problem and if they do even worse, let them go broke. Corruption isnot only in money but also in the moral department.
    It is high time the people of Europe stand up and kick out everyone that is jeopardizing integrity and morality for the sake of the billionaires.
    This is the way the bankers think..that they are entitled to all the money.

And by the waythis flies in the face of competition rules of Europe that you might wonder what the idiots coming up with it have been smoking.

monere and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I don't think competition rules would prevent it -- basketball clubs did it (Euroleague), some EU hockey clubs are also in a big international closed league (KHL).

I also don't think this is about morality or integrity or about people of Europe. I'm one of "people of Europe", and from a moral perspective I don't give a shit about Manchester United taking UEFA money at PSV or Celtic expense.

I just think a more even field would be more interesting to me personality, but morality has little to do with it. Just a bunch of organizations that are all much richer than me sqabbling over a money pie.

7. No, the difference is a lock in for clubs on questionable grounds and other clubs from the same FA's that have to qualifie. So there is an artificial competitive difference created that flies in the face of the cartel laws of Europe.

8. This quote signals to me that you can stick it up your ..

9. So you would think it is more even field to watch ManU against whatever SL club without any merit to be there (how even would their presence be in their last 4 years not so good presence in the CL), then to watch them being eliminated by PSV.
    That "mighty" Real Madrid last season made by their teeth in the knock out rounds because Klaasjan Huntelaar hammered the bar instead of putting in the 5th in Madrid.
    About what even field are you exactly moaning. It is just because of these facts these socalled top teams want to exclude the rest and prevent themselves from being eliminated by better teams.
    If you call matches like Schalke against Real uninteresting and uneven, you have no clue what football is about. Yep. it is the unevenness the top teams fear, the fact that with all their money they have to prove it on the pitch and money isnot the only factor to beat the other team. They shit their pants and so they want a playground for the rich, not for the best.
    Your post is full of shit..it stinks for miles.....it stinks from decaying corpses of corrupt UEFA officials.

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    They can go about it the same way basketball clubs did. Laws didn't stop them.

Thanks man, your post smells of roses.

11. Teams

See also: 2015–16 Euroleague squads

On May 6, 2015, Euroleague announced the licences distribution.[2] Despite being announced for June 8, 2015,[3] the final composition was announced on June 29.[4]

Regular season

Real Madrid A (1st)

Olympiacos A (1st)

Maccabi FOX A (3rd)

CSKA Moscow A (1st)

FC Barcelona Lassa A (2nd)

Panathinaikos A (2nd)

Žalgiris A (1st)

Khimki B (2nd)

Unicaja B (3rd)

Dinamo Sassari B (1st)

Pınar Karşıyaka B (1st)

Lokomotiv Kuban WC (3rd)

Laboral Kutxa A (6th)

EA7 Milano A (3rd)

Anadolu Efes A (2nd)

Crvena Zvezda B (1st)

Brose Baskets B (1st)

Limoges B (1st)

Fenerbahçe A (3rd)

Cedevita B (2nd)

Bayern Munich WC (2nd)

Strasbourg WC (2nd)

Darüşşafaka Doğuş WC (5th)

Stelmet Zielona Góra B (1st)

Numbers in bracket represent the place the team took in its 2014–15 domestic championship, representing rankings after eventual Playoffs.

Notes

^A Qualified through an A–licence, based on the Euroleague club ranking and other regulations. Following the limitation of three A–Licences per country that the ECA Shareholders Meeting approved in Barcelona on July 9, 2014, Unicaja, as the lowest-ranked A–Licence team participating in the Spanish League has lost its A–Licence.

^B Received a B–licence, being the best ranked team in the Domestic Leagues without an A–Licence conceded by the final position in the 2014–15 season of their national league or Adriatic League in case of ex–Yugoslavian countries.

^WC Four teams received one-year wild cards to play in the 2015–16 Euroleague.

Looks to me a merit based licencing system.

12. When I encounter a pile of dunn it must be sprinkled with perfumed liquids to take away the stink.

13. monere

monere Guest

"Big" meaning? Last season's winners? Clubs with most european trophies? Clubs with most european appearances over last 5/10/20/whatever years? What does big really mean here??

Since when are Man City, Atletico, Leverkusen, Inter and PSG "big" clubs? According to which rule of the ones I mentioned above?

14. monere

monere Guest

again, why is Inter a big club? According to which rules? I'll admit that for Serie A they're quite big indeed (they won the title many times, and probably some domestic cups. as well). But the discussion on this thread is about Europe, not Italy. So, why is Inter a big club in Europe? Not gonna rush over to google / wikipedia to check how many times Inter has won an European trophy, but I know they won it for a few times (less than 5 times tops I dare say without checking)

15. monere

monere Guest

already started watching EL more often starting with this season, and seeing the EL draw for the last 16 that finished some hours ago, I dare say that this season's EL (well, at least starting with this round) is comparable to the CL, where except for PSG - Chelsea, and Juve - Bayern all other games are already won, and could be predicted easily even before the first leg began

16. monere

monere Guest

your point is somehow valid, and some years ago (5-6, not more) I would have fully agreed with you. But frankly speaking, I got tired of watching small clubs making it out of the group stage to just bunker down against big clubs to try and snatch 1 point, then go back to their home as real champions. No, thanks! I want to see balanced games, between balanced teams. I'd rather have evenly matched clubs facing each other at their level, rather than falling asleep at Dynamo Kiev vs Man City, or Barcelona vs Leverkusen (remember the 7-1 game from a few seasons back), or the alikes. It's just not fair to bore the neutral fans, who are in bigger numbers anyway than the fans whose clubs squeeze 1 point every now and then against *insert out of shape big club here* clubs

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for these clubs being big, all of them are in a good enough league that a domestic title is a big accomplishment:

Manchester City (two recent domestic titles)
    Atletico Madrid (one recent domestic title and a Champions League second place)
    Bayer Leverkusen (without doing research I'm not commenting)
    Inter (not as good as they used to be but won the 2009-2010 Champions League)
    PSG (leads Ligue 1 by a ton and has won recent domestic titles)

18. monere

monere Guest

not enough

who counts second places??

don't bother. They only have one UCL final that they lost to RM in 2002 I believe. Other than that.... just another team from Germany

I just checked on Inter. They have 3 European trophies. I guess we can count them as a big club, but to be honest I never liked them, not because I used to be an AC Milan fan (when Milan counted in Europe), but simply because I never liked their players and style of football

just because they're having one smashing season doesn't mean they're a big club. In Europe I mean.

19. You just yourself made clear that the big club criterium is a huge mission impossible, as what is big now isnot in a few years.

20. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    So you are saying, nobody likes to see a underdog to well? I suppose the FA cup should only start with the top 4 Premier league teams also? Although mismatched, there is always upsets every year. Porto winning for example. Wigan winning the FA Cup (bar Man City fan's who was cheering for Man City?)

21. monere

monere Guest

I do like seeing underdogs doing well, but that happens once in a blue moon. If I have to watch 100 predictable games to find one big shock, no thanks! I'd rather watch the biggies play against each other all the time.

22. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Um, er, uh...

Must be great to be a fan of Bayern, eh?

Oh dear, I think you just exposed yourself here.

tsk tsk

24. monere

monere Guest

not following you

unclesox repped this.