HSV 2014/15 - A new Beginning

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by HSV-Jung, Jul 28, 2014.

1. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
  2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't hold looking annoyed against slomka if he was trying to herd children at the time lol. I think it was the great Michael swaim who said "and they made him deal with children, the shittiest type of human we've got"

Huckeye repped this.
  3. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I've got four kids myself, so I can attest to that. But Slomka wasn't stressed or bothered at the moment I came across him, only by me. I didn't think bad of him for it, nor do I now, afterwards I even felt stupid for calling out to him. Celebrities get bothered enough when they're in public. But it's as they say, the real measure of a person is if they're friendly when they don't have to be. I've had encounters with Arsene Wenger, Marco van Basten, Günther Netzer and Joachim Löw. I didn't call out to them, just gave a quick nod in passing (still stupid, yes, but I couldn't help myself) and they had a "Hello" and a smile. Probably also because they realize it has a huge effect on an average Joe like me. Ever since that day I haven't thought of van Basten as a bastard anymore.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make Slomka sound bad. I'm just trying to find an answer to what went wrong. I think he's a good coach. He had a decent team, plenty of time to prepare for the new season. Yes, the new players came late, but Behrami was the only new guy to play against Paderborn. That game should never have gone down as it did and anybody who saw that must have concluded that nothing has changed over the summer. The Hannover game was bad luck and too many new guys at once, plus if you look at the second half it was actually quite a decent game. I haven't lost hope for the season. But getting back to Slomka, in terms of results, he failed miserably, not a single win over 11 games. Not a single goal over the first three games. How does that happen with a decent coach and a decent team? When you look at it that way and hear about him and the team not getting along, plus him not being as nice as they say anyway, then you have a possible explanation, is all I'm saying.

4. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04

Is the Bundesliga taking the piss out of HSV here?

5. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Yes, but Pizzaro is a fantastic player, too. Even as a HSV fan I love the guy. I watched the game last night and when he was subbed in for Bayern I explained to my wife what a great guy this is and how cool I thought it was that Bayern took him on again and kept him for this season as well. He had one decent chance last night, too. Great guy, but he can stuff the goals on Saturday.

Beckenbauer and Sammer have taken great pains today and yesterday to warn their team of hubris. I feel a general sense, not only among HSV-fans, that many people feel that Zinnbauer may just be exactly what the club needed.

BTW, no worries about HSV II: Daniel Petrowsky is the new coach of the team that just won the away game against Braunschweig II a few hours ago. Braunschweig is also one of the better teams of Regionalliga Nord, but HSV won 1:4. They now have an eleven point lead on the second team in the table (one game less though) with a goal score of 31:6 in nine games and nine wins. Wow. Does feel goo to write something positive about the club.

On a different note, Magath was sacked at Fulham today. Can't say whether or not this was deserved, but I am glad we have a new coach, before anyone brings up that idea again. No more, please.

I'm watching Everton against Wolfsburg right now. It's a pretty good game, Wolfsburg have come quite a ways over the last two years. I do have some hope that Gladbach and Wolfsburg will put in a better Europa League showing than we've seen from the German teams in recent years. With the notable exception of Frankfurt and Hannover, I think all showings since the Hamburg and Werder days have been lackluster and the League has lost of lot of standing in Germany. There was simply nothing to look forward to (including our CL participants Schalke and Leverkusen), also, admittedly, due to the great things German teams were doing in the Champions League at the same time and of course five years ago, HSV and Werder profited from that also, because at the time there was not much going on with the German teams in the Champions League. I look forward to Thursday nights again and do hope we have a lot of good games to look forward to in both leagues this year. Best of luck to Wolfsburg and Gladback.

6. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Woohoo, can't remember the last time I was this happy about a HSV tie. Oh no wait, that was in May. But a tie against Bayern. This means we must be better than Man City, right?

7. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    I'm more thinking, how flippin' good are Paderborn!!! ;)

8. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Two turgid results. Will Zinnbauer be gone before he figures it all out? The ONLY thing that give me hope is HSV still has to play Bremen, Stuttgart, Freiburg, and Hertha in this 1/2 if the season. But really, this is ridonkulous

9. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Hooray, Sweet victory. Over the last two years there is no one, I repeat no one, including various coaches, managers, mentality trainers, etc., who has done more for HSV self esteem, morale and our table situation over the last two years than BVB. Thank you for that, thank you ever so much. Jürgen Klopp is a true fried to our club and should be commended for it. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: HSV beat BVB 0:1 in Dortmund last night, making it the fourth out the last five games to end in a HSV win.

All jokes aside, a win feels good. I was to depressed to write anything the last two weeks, but it must be said, that HSV has not played a bad game since Zinnbauer took over. The tie against Bayern was worthy of all honors. I think that when you look at the current Bundesliga form, Gladbach ranks among the top four teams, and looking at it that way, a 0:1 loss at Borussia-Park, following a good and competitive game, is not a terrible result. Frankfurt indeed terrible, but only results-wise, even Eintracht fans conceded that they rode their luck and HSV should have won (and remember I live in the Rhein/Main area). So HSV continues its upward trend. Good news.

There's more good news. HSVII keeps on winning. They finally tied one game last week, but they won again yesterday, still sitting at the top of the table with a nine point lead and a 26-goal difference.

Peter Knebel finally started work at HSV this week. He will be the manager for the professional team and thus, also oversee all scouting work. And finally, van der Vaart, Rajkovic and Kacar are all back in training. Now we just need Beister back on the pitch, but I don't really expect that to happen before January.

Huckeye and cortisoljunkie repped this.
  10. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    HSV players on the team of the week, for Matchday 7:

Spox.com: Djourou, Müller, Westermann
    (German) Goal.com: Djourou, Müller
    Kicker.de: Djourou

Ah, Der Kicker has never liked HSV. Who cares! What surprised me most is that when I read all the comments under the Spox.com article, there was not a single complaint about three HSV players, apart from several ironic "HW4 Balon d'Or" comments (last year there was a thing on several sports forums, where people thought it was funny to mention Westermann in every comment under every article, always closing their comment with a demand for a balon d'or for him). Anyway, I think people are grudgingly starting to see that HSV prospects are no longer that dim and that some good work has been done over the summer on all fronts (professional team, youth and management). It'd be nice to no longer be at the butt-end of every soccer joke.

By the way, HSV signed on Frank Wettstein as new CFO today. He's an accountant and worked as a partner for several auditing firms, he was involved in finances and restructuring of FC Nürnberg and 1860 München previously (and BVB, although this was only mentioned in a comment, so unconfirmed). He will be on the board of management of the AG together with Dietmar Beiersdorfer (CEO) and Joachim Hilke (Marketing). Peter Knäber (Director Professional Soccer; correct spelling of the name btw) and Bernhard Peters (Director Sport) are not members of the board of management. This means that out of all the management staff from before May, Hilke is the last man standing. Depending on where you get your news, you may read some bad comments about him, but those are usually just people blabbering about the general financial situation. The fact remains that despite all the turmoil at the club and the dire performance of the team, Hilke managed to increase income and revenue of the team significantly each year over the last few years (HSV still ranks No. 18 in the Deloitte money list), which is simply a miracle, considering the general situation (also the fact that due to poor performance the average attendance has gone back from 57,000 (stadium at capacity) to less than 52,000 over the last five years, which is nearly a 10% drop). So keep up the good work.

FC Trout repped this.
  11. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Breathing a little easier after that Hoffenheim result.

12. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Any comments on the Calhanoglu interview? Certainly hope he wasn't harassed, but comes off as a consummate worried-about-himself-only

13. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So I think I'm reading that HSV won't be big spenders during transfer window. Why the F don't they have any money now? What IS the difference since the eV vote this summer?

14. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Their private investor wants his money back instead of accepting club shares.

15. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I read Kuhne wasn't happy with the ~7% he was offered, so they'll probably just have to give him a larger stake so that any real changes start to be seen in the summer.

16. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ah, danke. The club seems fairly active this month, in spite of my whining. Lost the Polish kid to Arsenal perhaps, but at least we're competing against some of the big boys for talent

17. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    HSV-Jung,

I've been out of the country traveling for most of the season and have been unable to adequately keep up with this season. I see the scores and table, but that's really about it. Would you mind giving me a rundown of how the season has gone? What players are playing well, what new players are contributing, what the front office is doing with the club, etc. Thank you so much!

18. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  20. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a stream for the game?

21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just another manic Monday. :p
    Congrats, HSV.
    Diaz will probably have a statue put up in his honor. :D

22. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you guys have done it again.

23. GoalChuck

GoalChuck Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I totally agree!

24. GoalChuck

GoalChuck Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The match against KSC was really very, very exciting. Until the last minute o_O:eek::D