Hrvati na Olimpijadi

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by catenaccio_L'pool, Aug 9, 2008.

1. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't know about you but I've got the Olympic fever. I can't wait to watch our guys battle it out in team sports, especially handball and water polo, which I don't get to see in the US at all. Here's the schedule of our team sports in Pacific time:
    BASKETBALL.................HANDBALL...............WATER POLO
    8/10 0500 Australia........8/09 1800 Spain.......8/10 0020 Italy
    8/11 2015 Russia...........8/11 1800 Brazil........8/12 0020 Serbia
    8/14 0715 Argentina.......8/14 0545 France.....8/13 1830 Germany
    8/15 2330 Lithuania........8/16 0400 Poland.....8/15 2110 USA
    8/17 1800 Iran .............8/18 0045 China........8/18 0140 China

We already have 1 medal - a bronze by Snježana Pejčić in shooting.
    I also watched our boxer Marijo Šivolija knock out a fellow from Samoa. Good start for our athletes...

2. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    By the way, if you know when Handball or water polo will be broadcast on TV, please post here.
    You can watch every event online on NBC's olympics website but I won't stay up between midnight and 6 AM to watch it:D.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The Water Polo was on MSNBC today at around 2:00 p.m. in the East Coast. It was kind of weird; they didn't show the last few minutes and then after showing a few other sporting events came back to say Croatia won. They beat Italy 11-7. In a sport where you're allowed to "dive", the Italians elected not to do so. ;)

It doesn't seem that the NBC website uploaded the entire Water Polo game, but they upload the entire basketball game.

Glad to see the basketball team got off to a good start beating Australia with a barrage of 3 pointers. That program's been dead as long as Petrovic has been. Anyone know a reputable website where I can buy a Croatia basketball jersey?

In handball we edged Spain.

4. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought everything would be available online but they only pick and chose certain games in handball and water polo.

5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    great job by the basketball team by beating russia..i tried to stay up late and watch the game but i fell asleep..they are almost for sure going to advance to the quaterfinals now..they need at least one more win to avoid playing the U.S in the quaterfinals..

a big thumbs up to the waterpolo team kicking the serbs ass..:D

6. whitestones

whitestones New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Toronto
    does anyone know what's up with Draganja and the record breaking swimmer chick (whats here name and what disciplines is she in:(). When are they supposed to go, I saw some of the 100 m qualifying heats but i didnt see him.

7. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I watched the game online and was very impressed by our team - at no point down the stretch did Russians seem likely to win. Their full court press at the end did not bother our players a bit...the only thing I didn't like was rebounding.

Although I like to think of myself as an objective person and not the ultra-nationalist type you frequently find in Croatia (aka an A$$hole), it always feels a bit extra special to beat Serbia in a team sport on a grand stage like the Olympics :D.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Zoran Planinic had 20 points....when he was here with the New Jersey Nets, he struggled. :(

Good to see they are having a great start in all of the team sports. Hopefully, this will continue.

9. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    We lose in basketball to Argies and in handball to the French but the water polo team continues to impress.

10. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    That was quite a performance for the silver...I also watched our water polo team lose to USA...I think we'll still win the group though.

11. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    Because Serbia lost to Italy, USA wins the group head to head. If Serbia won, we would have won the group and thrashed USA agaisnt goal differential.

I read a report where the croats were complaining that Serbia purposely lost the game to Italy so that they could avoid Montenegro and Hungary because they felt playing Spain and USA would be an easier path to the gold medal. Serbs deny this and who knows how much truth there is or isnt to it...wouldnt surprise me though.

Croatia plays Montenegro tomorrow. Montenegro has been off their game while we havent, with the exception of the tight USA game.

12. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    They just had to lose to USA...Croatia is out in water polo and basketball...handball is our only hope...

13. CroatiaCannuck

CroatiaCannuck New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Blanka Vlasic takes silver in the high jump. Lost on attempts as she and Tia Hellebaut cleared the same height.

14. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was impressed that we got two medals in Taekwondo. :D

The basketball team, while better in prevous years, has no star player. Most of these guys would not be substitutes in the NBA, so a quarterfinal appearance was the best they could do.

15. whitestones

whitestones New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Toronto
    I agree, I wasnt expecting much from the basketball team but from the handball and waterpolo teams I was expecting medal. Its a shame Vlanka got a silver tho.

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Blanka was no doubt better looking than the winner from Belgium. :)

I think the water polo team thought they'd cruise to the gold medal game. Not smart to be talking smack about other teams (the U.S.) before the competition and then wind up getting embarassed by them.

17. CroatiaCannuck

CroatiaCannuck New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    There is no doubt about that. The winner I expect to see at the public library any day now;)

18. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland