Howard Webb and Bibi Steinhaus

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...and the daunting children they would produce. Yikes!

2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Midlife crisis??

3. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth this is not meant to be a vicious criticism, rather an opinion from a modest poster.

I understand why you posted this, this is a referee forum and Howard Webb is one of the most regarded and recognized referees in the world.

But I am not a fan of "tabloid-esque" stories and I always feel weird about reading them because I can't imagine my personal life (either the ups or downs) being posted on national newspapers and tabloids. That being said I think posting a story about a referee's personal life seems to be counter to the purpose of this forum. There doesn't seem like much "constructive" discussion can result from this and at the end of the day we are are at best discussing and at worst scrutinizing the personal life of a person which I believe should remain that: personal. We all know the scrutiny a fellow referee goes through in the public eye and I feel this thread can only contribute to that in a way that does not provide a teaching moment to anyone.

Just my 2 cents and I certainly can be in the minority on this one.

dadman, RespectTheGame, tomek75 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I looked to see if it was really April 1!
    Unbelievable. How many referees' wives (and husbands) are now going to wonder what really goes on
    at tournaments etc!:D

PH

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Really? I imagine myself on the cover of the National Enquirer at least weekly. :cautious:

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Well, it has provided a teaching moment to me!
    (maybe more than one actually).

PH

7. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Thankfully the men's and women's tournaments are separated...

8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not for things like Regionals and various other tournaments, there are boys and girls games and referees of
    both sexes.
    Anyway, there are also things like referee seminars and clinics where people can get together.

PH

9. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    I'm not really a fan of the tabloids either. A man's personal life should be just that. No reason for anyone else to care. If it was anyone else who isn't famous no one would care.

Slaskwroclaw18 repped this.
  10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Bibi is a (perhaps minor) celebrity in Germany (her home is on a tour of local points of interest) and, given the hot house atmosphere of the EPL, Webb clearly is a celebrity as well. British newspapers are much different than American papers and that extends to sports, particularly sports, some might say. I read the Irish newspapers every day and snarky comments by reporters about the follies and foibles of players, coaches and teams are standard fare. If you are going to be at that level of the game, in those countries, virtually everything you do is fair game for the tabs. It's part of the package. "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

roby repped this.