Howard questions commitment level

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Argentina with Messi does better than without him. There's an analysis of it somewhere, a quick Google should provide it. Same with Ronaldo & Portugal.

Thing is, in the final analysis, can't count on a single superstar to take you to the top. Both Portugal and Argentina have players that are streaky and frankly over-rated.

Had Pipita Higuain been better at finishing, Argentina would have at least two trophies.

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know exactly what Howard was implying with his comments, but that's merely one reason why I don't like them. They're not obviously xenophobic, or obviously unfair, but they're obviously suggesting that a large portion of the team doesn't care about playing for the US.

Why he brings nationality into it, if it really doesn't matter, is mind-boggling to me. He's already causing a stir by suggesting that the US played poorly in two games not because of JK's terrible tactics, but because of "fighting-spirit"? That's already a terrible comment, but he compounds it by half-way implicating both dual-nationals and JK's callups?

It's just so freaking stupid all the way around. It's most definitely not the kind of thing that the team or the locker room needs right now, that's for damn sure.

But hey, maybe this will serve like the Strauss article, and we go on a really long winning streak!

juveeer, Borrachin, DHC1 and 3 others repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much of this is Howard trying to stay relevant? It just seems a poor timing to mention all of this. Release this after we're winning or qualified for the WC or post WC

21st Century Pele repped this.
  4. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    That is the diferrence between Messi and the greats of the sport, Fat Ronaldo scored twice vs Germany in the final and never blamed anybody for things he could do himself as the "best" player in the world, Messi had 3 finals, 3 finals...

It is strange to me tha Howard is speaking up now.

Again, as a leader and the captain of the team, he should have questioned Klinsmann for leaving Donovan out, if he had the feeling that Chandler wasnt committed, why didn't he faced Chandler and the rest of the players himself? Is not like he is a little dude.

In a position like that, as a captain I get the boys together and fix that zhit right there, closed rooms, team meeting and if somebody is not doing what they are supposed to, have a personal talk with him and with coach...

Poor leadership?

5. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    Amen

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc the journalist, subtly calls out both Howard and Donovan for their double standards in questioning other players' commitment.

HG: Tim's comments would suggest so, and he has been in the midst of everything, so you would have to take those comments into consideration. I'm a big fan of Tim's and he will have his reasons for why he said what he said, but you can't question somebody's commitment to the team if you've just come off a year's sabbatical (Howard opted not to play for the U.S. after the 2014 World Cup) . It seems like double standards for me. But he will have his reasons for saying what he said.

We have this talk about dual nationals and commitment from people who, throughout their tenure with the national team, have had commitment issues. Landon made some comments about commitment but Landon left the team at time when it was most in need and went to Cambodia to find himself, which is fair enough to him. But it definitely puts you in a precarious position if you're talking about commitment.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-u...-talent-and-bruce-arena-can-take-it-to-russia

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #282 Suyuntuy, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    The "sabbatical" can be seen as a protest. It's very different completely walking away from doing things half-assedly. I can see players wanting to take a break from the incompetence.

Never forget the only silverware won during the Klinsmann era was because of Landon Donovan, and were not for Timmy, we'd have been humiliated in a World Cup in the Americas.

The commitment level of those two could never be questioned. I can completely understand needing time away, though, when you see people who do an inferior job given special treatment by the coach.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Do you really want to engage in comparing a guy taking a sabbatical because he was going through a mental breakdown against some jerk halfassing his way through a Confederations Cup playoff? Or refusing call ups because he didn't want to cap tie himself (thereby also probably costing us a confederations cup spot)?

Especially when the guy in question made himself available for his country constantly for 12 years?

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    wait who are the guys you are referring to?

I personally don't hold it against Howard for his year away from the NT mainly as I felt he earned it with his display against Belgium. Honestly he should have retired. Back in summer 2014 it seemed to be okay as Guzan was more then ready for the no1 spot. And lots of young capable guys behind him.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Donovan's sabbatical was just as much about mental health as anything, which regardless of the opinion of meatballs is no different than any medical injury.

Comparing him taking time away to Fabian Johnson begging out of the ConcaCup and Chandler protecting the 0% chance Germany would ever have called him up by even as a prank by declining to go to the 2011 GC and 2012 qualifiers is a dumb thing to do.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    was that Chandler's thinking back then? I just figured his past problems with the NT was something with his club (whether his coach threatened his place in the squad or so)

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    You'll never convince me it wasn't, given he had a habit of accepting call ups for friendlies but refusing cap tying games

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It seems so long ago. I'd have wished he never got called up. Lichaj should have had his shot instead with JK

14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It's kind of like playing hurt. If a player is injured, sometimes he can hurt the team more by playing than sitting out and rehabbing his injury. Is it more selfish to play through the injury and hurt the team or sit out for the good of the team? Donovan was on the verge of retirement. He went on rehab...I mean sabbatical, and cured himself so that he would be helpful to the team when he was needed most. Unfortunately for him, others were a little ahead of him. (By the way, I'm not saying Donovan took a break for the team...he took it for his own good.)

Taking time off from the team can be looked at various ways. but it is difficult to accuse Donovan or Howard of not giving it their all on the field. (I am definitely not saying anyone is doing so).

However you look at it, I would rather have my teammates giving it their all on the field. If a guy can't give it their best effort, then he's directly affecting me. If he can't give it his best, he's better off staying home.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think LD should have showed up, gone through the motions, played (relatively) poorly, and hurt the team instead of taking time off to be better for the long term.

Mahtzo1 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc throwing shade! Going to enjoy having him in the media. Some of the ex-players hold back because they're still in contact with some of guys. Herc seems the type to just lay it out there.

I do think Donovan was within his right to take a break considering the player he was. Not a player with just 10 caps or anything. I do appreciate Herc's honesty though.

Howard taking a break is interesting. Fatigue from travel? I don't recall him giving a real reason at the time. I think it had to do with his divorce. Not to get touchy with his personal life but I'm guessing it was that. And not because he despised Klinsmann. Casual every 4 year WC fans noticed him because of his 2014 WC performance against Belgium. Probably wanted a break with family issues.

Didn't he say "no thanks" to Bob too in 2011? His commitment was sketchy and his club form not translating to NT form makes him a target.

juveeer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been pondering this Howard thing for a couple of weeks. My view is mostly the same. I agree with what Howard said just maybe not the platform through which he said it. What he said was refreshing but judging from some of the reaction it seems his teammates weren't aware he felt like this. Also the media jumped on it and overreacted a bit.

To me this shows the team under Klinsmann had serious leadership issues. That falls on the coach but also some of the blame with the core veterans like Bradley, Dempsey, Jones, Cameron and even Howard himself. Why let this shit get out in the media? Why not clear the air in person, talk to each other like men, and get the issues sorted? You don't have to like the guy on a personal level but when you put on a US shirt you better damn well give it 100%. Accountabltiy, leadership. Someone should have spoken up. I'm sure Howard isn't the only one on the team during the Klinsmann era that felt like this.

Bradley is the ultimate professional and very PC with his answers. So we'll never know his real opinion until he retires.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #293 IndividualEleven, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    The team made it to extra time of the WC and to the semis of the Copa, so the 'commitment' argument holds little water. Howard does have a book out and a side gig in TV commentary, however.

Matt Besler 'begged out' of World Cup match and came back for the next one. Players know their bodies.

juveeer and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Matt Besler was pretty clearly hurt.

Even JK belied the idea that FJ was actually injured in that game in 2015.

Look, all these guys deserve a clean slate with a new, actually competent coach but let's not pretend that certain guys didn't act like Howard is describing.

HScoach13 and deuteronomy repped this.
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Besler was 'pretty clearly hurt' then came right back the next game? From a hamstring?

The timing of FJ's injury in the Mexico match was the likely problem. In the Belgium he also had to leave, the early timing of which caused no consternation, however.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Besler injury . . .

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2014/...hat-caused-injury-says-leaving-game-was-right

The center back was clearly laboring for the rest of the half, and despite the training staff’s best efforts in the locker room at the break, he was replaced by John Brooks to start the second half, the substitute eventually scoring the game-winning goal in the 86th minute.

“It was a really tough decision at halftime,” Besler told reporters postgame. “Basically what happened was with five minutes left in the first half I made a play. When I slid, I felt my right hamstring ball up.

"For the rest of the half, I could feel it pinching. Came in a halftime, did some work on it, tried to loosen it up and we made the decision that I wasn’t going to be able to go for the second half.”

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What he just said.

I can't believe people are defending FJ coming off with a fake injury in extra time.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    How does one know Johnson had a 'fake injury'? What is more real about Besler's 'injury'?

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/10/monchengladbach-aftermath-dismissal

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah, he was so hurt he flew across the Atlantic and played 90 minutes a week later in a game Gladbach won 5-1. You think if he was actually hurt he'd have played? Maybe gotten pulled when they were up 3?

There's less than 10 minutes left in a cup final; even if he did feel a twinge, he needed to gut it out. Clint Dempsey played 4 games in a World Cup with a broken nose.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler was so hurt that he was able to play < 4 days later. You think if he was actually hurt he'd have played?

IndividualEleven repped this.