Howard/Donovan: Everton - Chelsea / 02.10.10 / 3pm ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Crimen y Castigo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very small number? That's being harsh. Because of the similar styles of American and English soccer, the success rate is pretty high for going from MLS to the EPL or CCC. But because of work permit issues, a lot of players go elsewhere instead of or before going to the EPL.

However, I do agree that a ton of top MLS players just wouldn't be cut out for the EPL: Davies is too slow, Casey is too . . . whatever he is, Beckerman isn't good enough, Van Den Bergh is solid for MLS but I don't think he'd cut it in the EPL, etc. But I could much easily name off 30 MLS players who I think could succeed in the EPL or CCC at the least simply because the styles are similar.

2. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHuIeEDkA0"]YouTube- Manchester United vs Manchester City 4-3 all goals Real Video[/ame]

see goals 2 and 3 for City. Everton play United in a week or so. I'm not sure LD is faster either.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A neg rep? Really? Because I said vs "Mexico" instead of "Pachuca"? Well, I'll reciprocate with some "green". ;)

Ouch. Hope it works out, man.

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like the posts we have actually already had that were speculatively "worrying" about Donovan being injured by some random non-WC England player.

Why go looking for trouble?

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Donovan can play Europa League ?
    upcoming games:

Tue 2/16 H - Sporting Lisbon 12:45 ET UEFA Europa League
    Sat 2/20 H - Manchester United 7:45 ET Premier League
    Thu 2/25 A - Sporting Lisbon 15:05 ET UEFA Europa League

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Moyes registered him, he should, as he is not cup tied.

7. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  9. Fiestafootball

Feb 11, 2010
    Pune
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    find more match highlights from the same blog

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Different players. In terms of pace there's nothing in it. Bellamy is far far better finisher.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What others are willing to pay is the definition of transfer value. What folks want to sell at is fantasy.
    That doesn't mean LA has to sell him for whatever price is mentioned, of course. they can determine his value to them is greater than his transfer value, but that doesn't affect his transfer value.
    Also, working from the assumption that he's not a complete idiot and that he actually has a personal manager who looks out for his interests, he has a reasonable buyout clause in his contract. I mean, FFS, steve fing hunt built in a buyout clause (okay, it was crazy high, but it was there, and Reading sold for less).

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bare knuckle, my money in on Bellamy, but with 15 oz gloves, LD would outlast him. Or is that off topic?;)

13. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Tony, how much of LD's finishing have you seen? And even if that were the case, I'd take LD's vision, passing ability, defensive awareness and tactical nous over Bellamy.

14. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That'd be a terrible fight. I can see it now, just bare windmilling going on. :D

I've watched Donovan in a fair few games, which is why before he came, I wasn't one of the guys slating him saying he'd flop. I'll tender you the same question for Bellamy. Love or hate him, and most do the latter, he's a great striker. I've watched Bellamy since his Norwich days where he was nicknamed the Poison Dwarf, the guy can put it anywhere in the net he wants it. See Manchester Derby for details.

The details you listed I certainly agree with and I would much rather have Donovan in my team than Bellamy, no question. Yet the attributes you have singled out, does Bellamy even need them to play up front? Bellamy just needs find the space, make the runs and finish, purely because he's a predatory striker. Which he is far and away better than Donovan at.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I dont know, I hear Donovan is pretty handy with a golf club.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    That's a fantastic nickname! It's Sir Landon of Donovan vs. the Poison Dwarf.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought you guys named him "The Don". I still like Landycakes better...;)

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was the Everton fans who came up with both. At any rate, Sir Landon of Donovan is a keeper in my book.

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Those folks across the pond have a talent for nicknames.

20. insidious meme

insidious meme New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Can't be anymore crazy than "Mandon". :D

21. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002

22. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yeah, THAT is pretty bad.:)

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On the first trip, you're correct. He could have stayed on, and worked his way onto the first team, though. that was an option.
    on the second stint, you're wrong. I did watch every game during that spell _ those in which he played and those in which he sat. He had a chance, and actually was looking okay and was definitely getting some buzz. The return with Pool was an unmitigated disaster, but he laid that to rest this weekend, so well done. But it was a true opportunity. He didn't take it, but it was there. Now, I'm not saying that defines him today, but it's simply wrong to say he wasn't given a chance.
    Third stint, he could have had more time, but he could have had less. He had a chance, with a team that needed a boost. He was okay, nothing special, looked nervous and left as planned, neither a victory, and from the way he played after returning certainly not a loss.

25. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002