howard best young gk in the world?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Sep 5, 2003.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if anyone's checked out planetfootball.com today but there was a poll that asked who's the best young keeper in the world and Howard was second behind Casillas from real madrid. Just thought it was interesting and once again proved how much respect our keepers are getting worldwide.

2. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    keeper ... schmeeper

The truth is that any great and sufficiently tall athlete with world-class reflexes could be trained to be a world-class goalkeeper.

There are probably 100 (if not 1000) potential EPL keepers playing pro and college football/basketball right now.

That said - Howard isn't in Casillas' class for my money.

3. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Give him sometime..playing at a higher level , some good european coaching and european experience(Like Casillas has) he will be a monster. Howard has better upside than Casillas for my money. I like them both

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i agree 100%... for now

now that's pushing it - after all, there is also a BIG mental side to goaltending - for example, sometimes the most important work a GK will do is AFTER he gives one up

5. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Isn't Howard 24? When I think of young, I think of people able to play u21 football.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casillas is younger though...

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this thread was about getting all 300,000 of us to stuff the ballot for Howard.

8. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Done!

Casillas 34
    Howard 21

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the gave Casillas a bit of an advantage with his name being first.
    Studies have shown at least a 5% advantage to being first on ballots and polls.
    That's why they shuffle the names around here in Califonia on ballots from voting district to voting district. :)

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Howard is probably the best young keeper in the world, but still.... I think this poll only showed many American and/or MU fans are regular internet surfers. You know Jordan Older was voted into the 1998 WC team.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but where are the Jordan Older fans?

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Keeprs are in general are looked at differently. 24 is still young for a keeper since many keeprs peak in late 20's, early 30's....

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    true, but only time will tell how world class coaching and competition will develop Howard.

Cassillas has already had/is having this day in and out. He is obviously developing well and it is unfair to compare the 2 yet..

Give Howard some time to develop then make the comparison..

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    only if you'd agree that any world class goalkeeper could be trained to be a world class basketball player - after all, all a basketball player does is drop a ball into a hoop, right?

I doubt you agree on that. There is a huge amount more to being a goalkeeper than just having good reflexes (you show me a top sportsman in any sport who doesn't have excellent reflexes). There are plenty of excellent shot-stoppers who are nowhere near world class because other parts of their game aren't up to scratch. It's not a case of just standing in front of the goal and getting a hand to shots that come your way.

1000 pros capable of playing goalkeeper in the EPL? Just how many players are you drawing from? Just how many athletes have you ever heard of that could have been top pro in more than one sport? Very few, as different sports require different skills. Just because someone excels to world class level in one sport doesn't mean they could be world class in another, even if they'd played that other sport since birth. If it was that simple then why doesn't every great tall athlete in the world train to be a goalkeeper?

Really, I doubt want to be rude, but if there was a prize for the most ignorant clueless post of the month, yours would be a prime contender.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whenever i hear GK, young and best in the world, (regarldless of how good our keepers are)
    .... i think of Buffon...He's only 25

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I like Wallace Jackson.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow. I mean, if you can't trust an internet fan voting poll, who can you trust.
    Casillas is no 1 and he happens to play for Real.
    Howard is no 2 and he happens to play for Manu. Odd how that works out, isn't it.
    Howard is obviously top drawer, he's starting for Man, but he has yet to touch the impressive resume of cass.

18. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I didn't realize that Buffon was that young.

My Top 3 Young GK's

1. Buffon
    2. Casillas
    3. Howard

"Young" being based on what was established in this thread.

19. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Is there a way to watch any of these guys (with the exception of Howard) on a regular basis? I haven't been able to see Buffon play outside of the champions league and Casillas occasionally on FSW.

I don't want to place my vote until I get a chance to watch these guys more than half dozen times a season.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Geez, if only people took their presidential votes as seriously...

21. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Not trying to take it seriously.

Here you go:
    Howard
    Buffon
    Casillas

Even though I've seen Casillas play a total of 3 matches and Buffon, maybe, a total of 4. I was just more curious as to how people are watching the players that they are so highly critical of on a regular basis.

And for the record, I wouldn't take voting for the president as seriously.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard for president...oh wait, he's Hungarian. ;)