How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    you’re right but he also won a World Cup with France. He can pretty much justify any decision he has made with that...

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Benzema's history with France is part of his story now. I think its fine.

3. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Deschamps also lost Euro 2016 finals against CR7-less Portugal & Benzema was still not called up afterwards.

Benzema is never going back to France as long as Deschamps is the coach.

I've already moved on and people needs to do the same.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    He would probably pick an injury and be out 4 weeks for us. Sucks for him but it's better for us.

5. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Remember that one WC where Benz was on form with a shit French team. Was unlucky to not finish top scorer despite being knocked out of the groups stages or last 16 or whatever it was.

YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  6. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean the WC where James didn't need a star studded team or any luck to be the actual top goalscorer despite getting knocked out in the quarterfinals.

You know the one where James seamlessly filled in for what many thought was a top 3 #9 in the world at the time (Falcao).

I mean it's not like France took virtually the same team, swap Benz/Mbappe, and won the whole thing with ease 4 years later.

7. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Virtually the same team? Evra, Sakho, Debuchy, Cabaye, Valbuena, Cabell, Digne, Koscielny, Landreau, Mangala, Mavuba, Remy, Ruffier, Sagna, Schneiderlin, Sissoko. 16 fcking players are gone.

Only Lloris, Varane, Pogba, Giroud, Griezmann & Matuidi remained.

petros93 and Varnagel repped this.
  8. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Varane, Pogba & Griezmann were also established WC players in 2018 than 2014.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked I think.

4 years is almost an eternity in football, which is a lot of time for a player to develop.

9. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then the right decisions were made in the French Revolution and they got rid of the players not needed to win the WC. And despite Benzema's claims that racism is the reason behind his exclusion there are more black players in the team now than before. I'm not sure what to believe because none of what I'm being told adds up in thiscequation.

10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The President of the FFF came out and said that Benzema is a great player but he is done at the international level. Benzema's response:

"Noel, I thought you don't interfere with the coach's decisions. I, and I alone, would put an end to my international career. If you think I'm done, let me play for the other countries I'm eligible to play for and let us see if I'm done".

Good for him.

HZinho, madridista_hr, Varnagel and 3 others repped this.
  11. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent message. It’s too bad France has so much talent. If he were from any other country, they would be forced to play him because he’s playing at a world class level. Still, he is France’s best #9. I’m taking him over Griezmann any day.

Screw that federation

madridista_hr repped this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They are making an example out of him. I also hear that it might have racist element to it, maybe @Ayayain can tell us more about that.

13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a total travesty that he didn’t play for country in his prime. He was excellent in the 2014 World Cup and I have no doubt he would be a Legend for country as well if they played him.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I do find that he is making a reasonable request.

A player's international career should not be over because his coach won't call him up

There should be an exception made so that he can play for another country. Algeria would gladly take him and they have a decent team

15. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He should play for Algeria 100%

would be great for him & im sure the Algerian people would love it too. Win win situation.

rrrrrafik repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, he can't. Even if he'd want to. I don't know if they would make an exception for a player that is effectively banned from playing for the country he committed to.

17. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    #10117 Varnagel, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Jovic would've probably cemented himself as a starter if Benz still played for France

Benzema not playing in summer tournaments & qualifiers may help his longevity.

Benzema never called Deschamps a racist. However, he did say that Deschamps bowed to pressure from media, politics & even racists. The last part is not entirely false according to the FFF president (he admitted to have received "tons of racist letters" from French fans asking him not to take Benzema for Euro 16 squad)

Griezmann is not a #9 lol. Even Giroud is a better #9 than Griezmann.

Benzema is the best player from France this season (yes, he's even above Mbappé)

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hahaha haha. An amazing joke

19. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Wish there was a way he could be granted a special waiver/release then play for Spain.

He would start easily and make the team much better.

HZinho and madridista_hr repped this.
  20. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm happy he doesn't play international games.
    But, if he could choose other country, I'm pretty sure he'd raise Spain on another level.

temesgen repped this.
  21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think he was referring to Algeria.

4x4s repped this.
  22. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    As many minutes as he's playing for club and his age, now's not the time to worry about NT football. Perhaps it's selfish, but I'm more than happy to see our guys not feature for their countries.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    He specially stated "countries", so he isn't referring to only one option.

The only other option is Spain.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He doesn't have a Spanish passport though. Would be legit weird of him to apply for the citizenship now.

25. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Is it confirmed he doesn't?

Even without it he acknowledges he has more than one option so it may be weird for you but it isn't impossible.