How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit. Does this mean he's gonna go on one of those months long scoring droughts.

2. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Tbh , apart from all his qualities , that is a very pathetic record. And I am talking about this year.

3. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The difference from the last season is interesting though. Maybe he will get better as he gets used to being the main goal scorer.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Icardi has two more goals than that at this point and people are foaming at the mouth for the club to pay 100 million for.

5. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Did you watch the game against Villareal ? He was playing as a winger with only Lucas and Isco as other goal threaths. Being 2-2 at that moment. How is that for a striker ?

Look I love him too but unless Bale starts hitting goal after goal , Benz is quite useless.

6. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    I dont vouch for Icardi either. And I know there are no top strikers available atm . But should we be happy with his stats this year only because they where much worse the year before ?

7. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #9657 Shay Z, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Striker moves out to the wing for a minute to create a play or to create space or to get involved or to give the opposition a different look = he is playing as a winger.

That ain't it chief.

edit: Player X is bad because player Y is bad. #logic

Nobody suggested this. But we could also not beat a player over the head with his improved stats even if he is part of the problem but clearly not the biggest part.

Eddie repped this.
  8. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Guess we should add goals by adding wingers who can score. Robben/Salah/Sane type. I'm curious to see Brahim Diaz first.

Yannick Relens repped this.
  9. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Well if you are 2-2 against Villareal with only some minutes to play and you are the only goalthreath in your team I think you shouldn't be found at the left wing. And "for a minute" is a total misperception. Thing is Benzema's runs are actually some of the best in the world but with only him capable of scoring he shouldnt do it. If we want to keep him we really need someone extra in the box.

10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Benzema -Mariano should have been tried..

Deep Pal, S1na, J-Mezzy and 1 other person repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Benzema-Higuain had a few spectacular games as a duo. I wish we could try Asensio and Benzema as a striker partnership to be honest.

Zidane05, raven3k, S1na and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    That would be interesting yes. My point : with Benz roaming around we have nog presence in the box.

Digital repped this.
  13. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You really need to stop comparing the records of strikers who play in completely different circumstances such as teammates quality/service and league style.

Halycon and Deep Pal repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dude, all Inter do is play the ball to Icardi from the flanks. How does that not give him an advantage for high volume scoring over others?

15. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, now take into account how good is that Inter team at buildup and crossing, how packed are italian defenses, and recalculate how many goals would Icardi score at Madrid with a crossing strategy and how many goals Benzema would score at Inter.

Benzema has become completely useless with the departure of Ronaldo. He has no hunger to score, which was fine before, because he was crucial in creating a flow in the final third, in a situation Ronaldo had only an ambition to score thus his selfish style prevented good teamwork. But its different now and we need a different player at the #9.

16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not that I advocate for Icardi, his name doesn’t move me but to be honest that’s mostly all we are doing too, playing with LV, Marcelo, Odriozola, Carva, Regui, Vin, Marco, Gareth, except Icardi is mostly in the box, whilst we are squaring to the box where a lot of the time we have a huge hole because Benz has been off somewhere else on the pitch “linking up”

temesgen repped this.
  17. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Icardi would be really good here. He would give the team a purpose and players like Modric, Kroos and Isco would instantly look better.

We are lacking a goal scoring strategy because of the lack of an actual goal scorer on the field.

Ronaldo took that identity with him when he left and Flo just decided that goal scorers are over rated.

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Perisic is top notch, probably a step up from Lucas Vazquez.

Just for your information.

But the point is that as a scorer, his record isn't really particularly impressive this season. Icardi is tied at 7th/8th on the top scorers table with Francesco Caputo. He has just 1 League goal over Benzema.

That's the scorer we're going for?

19. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Exactly. At this point we do not need the best of best we just need a real poacher.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Icardi is just really overrated/overpriced. I'd rather try to get a sneaky deal for Falcao in that to spend this much on a player hyped as a goal machine that is basically around the corner from Morata in terms of quality.

Let's be honest, if Icardi would be worth 100 mil. he wouldn't be at Inter by now.

21. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    :rolleyes:

I don't know who are you trying to convince that Inter has a better service for a player than Icardi than Madrid. Especially when it comes to a crossing strategy.

What kind of a ridiculous logic is that? Of course Icardi isn't Gerd Muller, but in today's scarce era for strikers, hes a pure scorer with excellent positioning and finishing. His record from the last five years at a shit team proves that. If 100 million is too expensive for Madrid for a striker of that pedigree, then we simply will not be able to survive as a top club in the current market.

Deep Pal and Marco25 repped this.
  22. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Icardi's value would double overnight after he puts on the white shirt and the 100ME would look like a deal.

We were after him last winter but he rejected us (the rational being Inter were in a competitive Serie A race but Madrid was a sinking ship).

We absolutely have room for Falcao and Morata as well. We're fighting for trophies in two cups and fighting for 4th place in the league and the striker department is barren. Its appalling that a Real Madrid team has the personal to do everything well except score goals.

Deep Pal repped this.
  23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So once he wears our shirt, you're saying there would be a team that would pay 200M for him out there? Or am I understanding this wrong?

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is practically the focal point of the attack.

Morata went for 80 mil. Lukaku for almost 100.
    If Icardi would be all of that, would he still be wrestling with Inter for a new contract? No. There have been teams that have refreshed their attack in the past few years and nobody found it plausible to spend 100 mil. on the player, but perfectly ok to spend as much on other players.

I can guarrantee that's trash, don't even know where you got it from. Last winter Zinedine "nobody is better than Benzema" Zidane was coaching us.

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not only that, but the same people that say this claim we won't be able to give Bale away for free. Great logic that.