How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, this trident worked for a while, but its well and truly dead now.

Eddie repped this.
  2. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Now that one made me laugh...
    Benzema did nothing more then for example, Pepe, to help us win any CL trophy.
    he was an average players hyped beyond recognition by the Perez marketing machine, and now days he's at best a stoke city player...
    but I'm pretty sure he will open all games until the end of the season in the CL.

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Benzema at Lyon was great at link up AND finishing. When he joined us initially he played as a proper striker but slowly he started deferring to Ronaldo. His link up play was so good that it worked for us and we had people like prime Ronaldo and Ozil behind who would provide enough assists for benz to get a respectable amount of goals himself. Slowly his mindset and game changed and he was way more interested in being the set up man for Ronnie than going for goal himself, all managers seemed happy with the arrangement as well or perhaps they encouraged it. You can't be lethal or clinical at finishing when you're not thinking about it. Ronnie was scoring so many goals we didn't really care.

Now after years of playing that way his other skills have diminished to the point where he can't be relied upon to just be a setup man for Ronnie who himself has declined. And the mental impact of his exile from French NT is very underrated. He was never one of those full of confidence type of players to begin with and being shunned like that has definitely hurt his fragile confidence which shows up on the pitch.

People who saw Lyon Benzema would agree that had he gone to a team which didn't have a T-1000 terminator like Ronnie we would be seeing a very different player in Benzema. Before someone says, ohhh so you think we ruined Benzema, no. That's not my point. He was very young when he joined us. His development as a player was no where near complete. Due to the circumstances here, this is the player he has developed into.

-Reivax-, temesgen, 9Qui and 2 others repped this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some of those assists were always OVERRATED as Ronaldo was scoring left and right, creating piss poor passes into goals for years. Despite that, someone posted a year ago or so that Benzema had an average of 4-5 shots per game most of the seasons.

However, if Morata is leaving - which i'm willing to bet my nuts that he is - i wouldn't mind keeping Benzema as the sub striker.

5. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm willing to personally kidnap and smuggle him into France if it means him never returning to Madrid.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not as his current wages. That's crazy.

Eddie repped this.
  7. David Jefferies

Mar 14, 2017
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with this BUT its not happening whilst Ronaldo is still at the club. Ronaldo is only willing to play on the left in a 433. Anyone who is hoping for 442 in the foreseeable future is dreaming

8. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    True, but it wasn't only him setting up Ronaldo. The entire team was set up to do that. If you wanted to make it in Madrid, you had to stay friends with Cristiano. Other forwards weren't as smart as Benzema and look where that got them. There's no reason to blame him for his playing style. But it's also clear that it's not needed anymore.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  9. Arcticmandaly

Arcticmandaly Member+

Oct 6, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You could make a hour long video of ronaldo setting up benz this season alone for him to choke every chance and im sure there was video posted here not long ago that was almost a hour long video of benzema missing sitters and alot of them were set up from ronaldo aswell .

This idea that benzema was some poor lamb that sacrificed hes game for ronaldo gets on my tits .

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  10. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I'm sure there are also hour long videos of Ronaldo giving teammates the death stare and/or throwing a hissy fit if they dared to take a shot (that he would have taken) or passed to another teammates that was more open than him when he wanted the ball.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  11. Arcticmandaly

Arcticmandaly Member+

Oct 6, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Plenty of them instances are pure overblown media garbage like the couple of ones where bale scored a tap in from a ronaldo overhead kick that was cleared off the line and ronaldo was pissed because it was cleared off the line and the next day all the videos were edited and cut short to show ronaldo as being pissed at bale for scoring a goal when it clearly wasnt the case .

None of the team mates care about it or bothered by it .

But what has that got to do with benzema being a serial chocker in front of goal and ronaldo actually being a very good creator for benzema despite the claims that its the other way round ?

Ahmadi8 and yoanaidarov repped this.
  12. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Except his positioning directly contradicts your claim. He knows that he cannot play winger anymore. If he wants to score large volume of goals he needs to play more centrally and closer to the box. As result he does exactly that.

9Qui repped this.
  13. David Jefferies

Mar 14, 2017
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He may move positions on the pitch during the game but its still in a 433 with a central striker and another winger. Dream on seeing Ronaldo named as 1 of 2 players playing centrally up front on the team sheet

14. Arcticmandaly

Arcticmandaly Member+

Oct 6, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Where is the evidence that suggest ronaldo refuses to play upfront ? hes been playing that role for portugal lately in the wc qualifiers and has been banging in goals left right and center.

Everyone knows that the best way for team is ronaldo up top with isco behind him. they link up great together but the problem is that benzema would have to dropped full time for ronaldo to play upfront and isco would need to actually get in the team and clearly bout them things arent allowed.

15. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    He can be named as CB for all i care. He is not playing as winger anymore.

16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is no way to actually know this

MerlinRM repped this.
  17. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe, but for me a more logical explanation is that the constant injuries in the past seasons, culminating with the one in the last summer, have taken a severe toll on his athleticism, now diminished to the point that he simply can't keep up with elite defenders. Add to that the deferential nature of his relationship with a now different Ronaldo, as perfectly explained by @9Qui, and I think between these two, his France situation and confidence issues have very small impact at the moment. We should have cashed in on him last season, but its no surprise Zidane wanted to squeeze every drop of his favorite striker until his entire credit here is spent.

9Qui repped this.
  18. Marius abessolo

Apr 25, 2017
    Next year cristiano is going to play less anyway with mbappe and possibly hazard coming benzema is going to be 3rd striker .

19. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    .. Walk away

20. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    I can't see Benzema sticking around to be a backup striker, let alone third.

21. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    There was an understanding that everything should be about Cristiano because he was the best player in the world and could do anything. And he did. If you didn't understand that, you should find yourself a new place to work.

Everything. Benzema built his career on making Ronaldo good basically.

22. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    What prevented Benzema of converting bucketload of scoring chances?

23. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What prevents every other striker on the planet from converting bucketload of scoring chances. Everybody misses chances, and Benzema's 'too cool to score ugly goals' style probably contributed to that too. The bigger problem now is that he barely gets into scoring opportunities. Zidane needs to look at the situation objectively.

24. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Unfortunately this approach did not enable us to win enough league titles over a 7 year span, that's a long time to keep doing the same thing with minimal results as far as the league title is concerned, but maybe we are just a CL team now?

25. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    None the less that's what happened.