How will the Don be remembered after he retires?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Eleven Bravo, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely, Garber has some time left at the helm and considering he’s been in charge for nearly 20 years it’s hard to fathom life post Garber. And despite all the reasons to gripe about him, he may be the most influential figure in US Soccer history. Think about it, soccer was a fringe sport when he arrived, and now I believe we can all agree soccer is prime time. We have to credit Garber for that and saving the sport.

So, how should he be honored when he’s gone?

My suggestion would be to either rename the Supporters Shield or MLS Cup in his name. In other words the Don Garber Shield or Garber Cup.

Other ideas?

mschofield repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not the Supporters' Shield. It already has a name honoring the Supporters, the ones that paid for the trophy and got it going as an award.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big 3 trophies are named for people who should not have their names removed (Lamar Hunt, Phil Anshutz, and the supporters). I think changing one of them is unlikely. More likely I could see a new award created with his name on it. Something like the Don Garber Influencer award (please somebody think of a better name) given to the person (player, coach, FO member, owner, etc.) in MLS each year who did the most to build the sport.

Nacional Tijuana and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Garber Stewardship Award?

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, it's been years since KC changed it's team name, so that's due. Maybe Garber Kansas City? a Garber Stewardship Award would be a nice thing and would make sense. You can't really name a performnace award after him. Garber Goalie Award? In the tradition of ACA being known by it's nickname, maybe just make the TAM. GAM, Thanks you Ma'am stuff officially as Garberbucks?

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a possibility... perhaps an annual award for the individual who did the most for the sport that particular year.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that idea. Seems appropriate.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think awards need to be named after someone or that people need their names attached to something. I find the Donovan MVP trophy to be really stupid, especially since it was named immediately after he retired.

It interesting that Kraft has not had something named after him. He did put down the money when most did not.

mschofield and xtomx repped this.
  9. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    He helped the league grow leaps and bounds and saved MLS from going down the road of many failed soccer leagues in this country.

Still a slimey piece of work

mschofield repped this.
  10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing he did was agree to not fold his team and he's done absolutely nothing with them since but keep the lights on.

Baysider repped this.