How to take care of authentic soccer jerseys?

Discussion in 'Apparel & Training Gear' started by IT-14, Oct 11, 2011.

1. IT-14

IT-14 New Member

May 29, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I noticed that my "Fly Emirates" sponsor started peeling on my Arsenal kit. Is there anyway to stick it back on? Maybe with an iron? I work at a soccer store so I have access to a heat press as well.

Also, what is a better way to take care of jerseys? How to wash and how to dry. Thanks guys.

2. Jaymeister

Jaymeister New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Good thread...I've also been wondering about this for a while now. My housekeeper almost always uses fabric softener when she washes my clothes, and I only recently realized that the tag on my TechFit® jerseys asks not to use it...It doesn't look like it's done them any harm, is there perhaps another reason why fabric softener shouldn't be used??

3. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I wash all my jerseys (game jerseys or fashion jerseys) separately in cold water without detergent. I lay flat or hang to dry, depending on material.

I find Puma to be the flimsiest, with the sponsors peeling off the easiest. Next Nike and then Adidas, which I've found to be rock solid. Never had a problem with a Kappa jersey.

4. BrushMyNoseOff

Aug 25, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Use lukewarm or cold wash (never hot), and hang to dry -- you should be fine. I usually also just wash my sport apparel of the same fabric all together, as I believe washing it with items like jeans, etc. might shorten their lifespan. I've done that with all my jerseys and never had an issue. Keep in mind that the printing on even authentic jersey will not last forever.

5. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I machine wash Climacool and even Techfit jerseys, no problems there. Come out looking great.

Bad idea?

6. steve_gullit

steve_gullit New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    don't want to break your spirit but these shirt are for showing not wearing. My Milan jersey looked like a rag after just few washes.