How to restart and from where

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Unico10, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is a very sad moment that presents a rare opportunity to restore our Calcio tradition.

Prandelli did a lot of good things but didn't have the courage to really start rebuilding and tried to win at the Euros already, heading to the WC with a weird mix of really tired old campioni, young but inexperienced talent and some bad personalities.

Prandelli is out
    Abete is out

We need COURAGE

- Courage to elect a president that is in NOBODY's pocket
    - Courage to hire a coach that is fresh and without Club ties (remember Bearzot, Vicini, Maldini?)
    - Courage to cut back to 16 the number of Serie A clubs
    - Courage to stop the naturalization of mediocre players (Paletta, Amauri, Motta...)
    - Courage to LOSE (maybe) but field a younger Nazionale
    - Courage to create some incentive for Clubs to PLAY our young talents (maybe only two relegations?)

We have a lot of young talent.

Scuffet, Perin, Darmian, DeSciglio, Camporese, Parolo, Baselli, Bonaventura, Bernardeschi, Verratti, Donati, Florenzi, Immobile, Berardi, Insigne, Destro, El Sharawi... Giuseppe Rossi and De Rossi may not be young but can give some stability.

Share your ideas and let's start moving from the disappointment to the rebirth.

Forza Azzurri!

jerrito, ctruppi, el napulitan and 2 others repped this.
  2. upskiupski

upskiupski Member

May 12, 2006
    Alicante
    If we go with Spalletti, the pieces are there.

------------------------------------------Mario/Ciro-------------------------------------------------

--El Shaa----------------------------------Rossi--------------------------------------Berardi-------

------------------------------DDR--------------------Verratti----------------------------------------

Criscito-------------Chiellini------------------------__________-------------------Darmian---

---------------------------------------------Sal Sirigu--------------------------------------------------

The work rates of El S and Berardi offer great balance and make it work.

3. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Buffon has another WC in him if he continues well in Seria A...it's not far fetched

Pirlo no

4. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1. Cut the number of teams in Serie A.
    2. Allow teams to have second team in Serie B which they can transfer player from freely. (promotion being impossible)

lb961, whill4 and Unico10 repped this.
  5. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like it but NO MARIO... Basta!!

jerrito repped this.
  6. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Courage.

Ciao Buffon. Thank you but it's time for others to play.

7. upskiupski

upskiupski Member

May 12, 2006
    Alicante
    We can play Rossi or Destro at the point and play Marchisio behind. A fluid 4231/433 when Marchisio drops back into centrocampo.

Either way, we have problems. Talent, luckily, is not one of them.

jerrito, Stamos and Unico10 repped this.
  8. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There you go!

16 teams... like it was 20 years ago, and only one or two relegations

There could be a 16 teams Serie A with 2 relegations
    A 16 teams Serie B with 2 promotions

And a league with no promotions or relegations where B teams from the 8-10-12 major clubs would play and develop

lb961 repped this.
  9. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not a fan of 4-2-3-1 with Verratti as a holding mid - that would restrict one of our only world class players at this point.

El-Sha-Rossi- ?
    Verratti -DeRossi- Florenzi
    Criscito-Chiellini-?-Darmian

Get a team that's prepared to work hard at first, lightning counter-attack, and build from there.

10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends who the manager is. With Spalletti we'll be looking at a quick and much more direct 4-2-3-1. I don't know who would play in the hole in such a formation however. The only quality trequartista Italy have is 37.

Big question I have is who partners Chiellini at CB come 2016? Barzagli is 33 and Bonucci can't play in a flat back four.

jerrito and Stamos repped this.
  11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Abete out is certainly the brightest spot amid the gloom.
    AN absolute clown he was.

phat and el napulitan repped this.
  12. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    jerrito and Unico10 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are saying Allegri, Mancini, Spalletti, Ranieri and Zaccheroni are the next guys in line to replace Prandelli. :eek:

Stamos repped this.
  14. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If it's Allegri, then that would be a real shame.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As an Italian living abroad, I've always been against employing too many foreigners in the Serie A. I know times have changed and you can not win without them and they definitely add to the excitement but I honestly think having 11 different foreign starters on club teams is too much. Maybe other nations have the same problems but I'm only interested about Italy.

el napulitan, Scorp redded and Stamos repped this.
  16. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sigh...more rebuilding. I thought that this BS was over and we'd be back to being Italy. Looks like more work is ahead of us.

17. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Spalletti played attacking football for Roma, but he was naive. Look at his defeats to Man Utd and you will see.

This formation is fantasy - 4 forwards and 2 midfielders. We would get run over easily.

Sirigu can replace Buffon. Perin looks promising. Hope he doesnt end up like Amelia or Pelizzoli.

There's good midfield talent in Bonaventura and Verratti, to add to the solid De Rossi and Marchisio.

Fullbacks are good with De Sciglio, Darmian and Criscito.

Attacking talent is there - Insigne, Destro, Beradi, Gabbiadini, Rossi, Balotelli etc.

The biggest problem is the centre back area. Barzagli is 33 and will be too old for the next Euros. Chiellini was a joke in this tournament. Bonucci is average. What is there beyond that? Astori? Paletta Ogbonna? Bocchetti? Ranocchia? Italy should be producing better centre backs than this. We keep labelling young defenders as the new Nesta, but guys like Andreolli, Ferrari, Santacroce, Ranocchia etc. have amounted to very little.

Unico10 repped this.
  18. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zaccheroni oh god no! hes the worst coach at this world cup in my opinion

when Greece went down a man.. all Japan seemed to be doing was swinging in crosses high from the wings.. yea like little japanese are going to out jump those mamoth greek statues on defence lol

el napulitan and Unico10 repped this.
  19. faximusy

faximusy Member

May 17, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Ranieri signed for Greece already

20. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    If we get Zaccheroni it will be 3-4-3 all the time. And he will try and get Bierhoff, Helveg and Guly out of retirement and give them Italian passports.

21. Gatorbomb

Gatorbomb Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've always been a fan of prandelli supporting young italian players, and wanting to change the dynamics of the youth set up. However, his constant tweaking of formations and players was just too much. To get the most out of young players there has to be one consistent formation from the beginning, you can't expect every player to make huge adjustments every game.

As weird as this sounds, I think he may be better suited as Abete's successor. He's got good ideas on using the youth teams as a bridge to the national team.

The world of soccer seems to be going in the favor of 4-3-3. Why not have all our youth teams from the start use this, plugging players in and having them do the same job game in game out.

Today is a very sad day for all of us, and calcio in general. However, we need to look to the future and not all looks bleak. There's some solid young players, and with the right push from the Figc we can see our ragazzi flourish again. Forza italia!!!!

jerrito repped this.
  22. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hard to even really think about it at this point.

I do think there will be a major backlash against Balotelli after this performance, so most of the formations posted so far in this thread probably wont' work immediately because I don't think he will be called until he proves he is a professional. I have been one of his biggest supporters, but if he didn't show that he can't have a side built around him in this World Cup, then I don't know what more he has to do to prove that point.

-Great against England
    -Misses a chance that costs Italy the match or a point at least against Costa Rica
    -Absolutely horrible with almost no effort against Uraguay and the type of stupid/selfish decision making that has plagued his career

^If those three things don't summarize Italy's enigmatic #9 I don't know what ever could.

Having said that...

Italy has two major problems in that it lacks talent at the two positions outside of GK that Italy is best known for:

1. Trequartista: There is not a true #10 anywhere on the peninsula. The last of the dying breed has refused to answer the call in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014 AND that has destroyed Italy's chances in each tournament outside of 2010, where Italy was just an embarrassment.

2. Center Backs: I'm sorry, but Chiellini is no good enough... If the plan is for him to continue as Italy's #1 CB, then the next few years will be painful. It's time to move on from the Juventus back three and give other players a shot. It's time. He has shown now that he is not capable of leading the backline.

jerrito repped this.
  23. Gatorbomb

Gatorbomb Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #23 Gatorbomb, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    For me chiellini isn't the issue, I know we've been spoiled with amazing defenders over the years but he's still pretty decent. Our defense did well today. With chiellini being 29 and bonucci 27, I think they can still provide a good back line. For me bonucci improved quite a bit this year, and can play with the ball which is huge in today's game.

The other guys are paletta, ranochia, ogbonna, which doesn't leave me with much faith.

I do believe we are looking better than we were in 2010, but italy needs new infrastructure to improve our youth. Looking to the German and Belgium models for an example

Stamos repped this.
  24. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

in my opinion Barzagli is the #1 Italy CB but sadly this was probably and probably should be his last world cup due to age

Stamos repped this.
  25. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I do absolutely want to give him credit for his performance in this World Cup. One of Italy's lone bright spots. He's a very good player that has absolutely maximized his potential with his intelligence and hard work.

Chiellini, on the other hand, doesn't have the brains or class of someone like Barzagli, let alone the greats in Italian history. His play has declined as he has lost his physical tools.