How to qualify

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by HansWorldCup, Mar 4, 2018.

1. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Just wondering, if UEFA or CAF can have it like Conmebol.
    So UEFA have lets say for an example 5 groups with 10 teams in every group. And for world cup 2026 we have 16 teams, so the 3 best from every group qualify and for the last place, a play-off between

2. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i think it is impossible.

conmebol has no copa america qualifiers. that is, why they can start three years before the world cup finals. that date, europe is still in the euro qualifiers, uefa nations league and euro finals.

i am also against it, as it makes a single qualifier less meaningfull and i would fear early decisions as the gap between the 10 conmebol teams is much smaller than between 56 uefa teams.

3. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ahh that is true, we have euro qualify too. Didnt think about that.

Hmm oki, i would like to test it.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL gets at least 4.5 spots. If you gave UEFA 5 groups and 13 spots, the top two and some third place teams would qualify. There would be too many meaningless games or games where you knew the better team was going to beat San Marino. It would be like taking a top league and removing relegation so clubs who couldn't qualify for the Champions League or Europa League had nothing to play for.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I think that the UEFA qualifiers should keep the groups-of-6 format, but have two divisions. The first division teams would compete to qualify and to avoid relegation, whereas the second division teams would compete to get promoted.

For the World Cup (16 teams), the first division would have 6 groups (36 teams). The top 2 teams from each group would qualify automatically, and the four remaining spots would be filled some way. The second division would have 3 groups (18 teams), and the top 4 teams from each group would get promoted.

For the UEFA Euro (24 teams), the first division would have 8 groups (48 teams). The top 3 teams from each group would qualify, whereas the the 5th and 6th placed teams would get relegated. The second division would have 1 group (6 teams), and the top 4 teams would get promoted.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think every team should get a chance at qualifying for every World Cup. UEFA used to have different levels for Women's World Cup qualifying where only some teams got a chance, but they changed to giving every team a chance.