How to improve our stadium atmosphere?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    And, adding to some of the earlier ideas, I'd love to see a team-sponsored pub on site that, (like the old days at the Red Lion hotel) hosted post-game parties with fans and players. The obvious sponsor for such an endeavor would be the San Andreas Brewing Company...

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't ever call it the [Sponsor] Epicenter, because that makes it too easy for people to talk about it without mentioning the sponsor name. Everybody can just say how much they love going to the Epicenter. When it's something more generic like Stadium or Park, people need to say the sponsor's name to distinguish it from other stadiums and parks.

xbhaskarx and DotMPP repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't drink, but I thought the Quakes keep the bar open an hour after the games? Why isn't that equivalent to having a post-game pub?

4. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of that annoying "Please drink responsibly" announcement they make when the remind you the bar reopens after the final whistle... Unless you didn't have a thing to drink before the 75th min when they close up, there's no way your being a responsible drinker if you belly up after the game's over...

;)

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From NASL Quakes days, I always loved the half time shows with Frisbee dogs and airplane combat show (two planes on wires with tales).

mjlee22 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Streamers or confetti when the Quakes score?

Better halftime shows?

Getting the animals from Marine World to come and parade around the stadium or Krazy George coming down in. Helicopter like he use to in the heyday?

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disallowed behavior under MLS Fan Code of Conduct:
    • "Throwing any objects onto the field (including streamers) . . . "
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/fan-code-of-conduct

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Painting a soccer ball in the center circle?

[​IMG]

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Regarding the jersey sponsor: I spoke to someone last week who had spoken to the Quakes' marketing VP or manager earlier this season and noted that, with half the season gone, why not offer the space on the jersey for free to a charity (see Barcalona/UNICEF)?. It would have had the double-edged benefit of helping a charity and giving some better/more positive exposure to the team. Needless to say, the idea was never even considered, and the jerseys remain blank...

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've got an idea for a charitable brand on the kit. It would be fantastic except for the fact that to MLS, San Jose does not exist.

san jose kit 2008.jpg

NedZ repped this.
  12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, they used to do that at Spartan, until that game where the metallic confetti drifted into a PG&E transformer and short-circuited all the lights!

Actually, confetti is a lot of fun.

bsman repped this.
  13. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have an edible before entering the stadium... That always improves the atmosphere where ever you go. :D

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    I never really had a problem with this - and the colored penalty areas and 6 yard boxes. One thing from the Carbray years that I was okay with. Kind of gimmicky but it certainly adds to a team-fortress atmosphere and actually helps officials make calls on in or out of the penalty area.

15. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    The blind lead the blind...

16. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need flags. Big Giant Flags. Allow flags everywhere. BIg 10' x 10' flags that fans could wave all game long. From the front row to the last row. In every section.

Everybody loves flags!

Nothing makes the atmosphere like flags.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are in the rows behind one.

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plant trees. :) Scientifically proven to improve the atmosphere.

DotMPP and tectonicnight repped this.
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calen Carr just published the video below on what the Sounders are doing for the environment. Do the Quakes do anything comparable? If not, maybe more environmental or socioeconomic activites away from Avaya would build community outside and thus improve enthusiasm inside the stadium. It seems to me that all of the community outreach they do is primarily to get people to come to the stadium. Even the school visits are really about enticing kids to come to games.

20. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally got a chance to watch a game at Portland last Thursday against Orlando. A few things I noticed.

(First one everyone already knows about). The Timbers Army section is huge and the stadium was pretty loud the entire game even though the Timbers didn't score their tying goal until late. They're our western conference foe, but I had to tip my hat off to a great/grass roots supporters' group.

You can buy 24oz. can of beer (they had a pretty wide variety of selections) from your seat. There were beer vendors walking around the stadium so you don't have to leave your seat to get a drink.

I didn't realize Timber Joey actually walked around the stadium during the game with a fake chain saw. He engaged with the fans and was popular with the kids who wanted to take pictures with him (similar to what Krazy George does with the Earthquakes fans).

I can't compare to what the atmosphere was like prior to the expansion, but I thought the place was really buzzing on a Thursday evening.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 xbhaskarx, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    MLS expansion teams target millennials / hardcore soccer fans / culturally hip people (who tend to be young, diverse, and living in urban areas), whereas MLS 1.0 teams like the Quakes and Dallas have always primarily targeted families, so their stadiums are full of boomers taking a break from destroying our planet to catch a game and soccer parents with their 12 year old brats... which doesn't exactly project a "this is the cool place to hang out" image.

Sorry to break it to everyone but we as currently constituted are not a very cool fanbase, our supporters groups have been dwindling for years... our team president and the person who started this thread are not even aware that Arsenal's (post-Highbury) atmosphere is widely mocked by other fans!

I remember when MLS fans made fun on this LA Times story (as if what LAFC was doing wasn't a natural progression from what Seattle, Portland, SKC with their rebrand and new stadium, Minnesota, Atlanta, etc. had done... even the Galaxy started copying them soon after), now LAFC has one of the best atmospheres in the league.

LA Times: Marketing to millennials, Los Angeles Football Club looking to stand apart

But the problems go beyond the team, it's hard to not have a stadium full of bland white bread suburban families when the entire city of San Jose is pretty much a giant suburb... that will take decades to "fix" even if the political will exists (see Minneapolis).

NY Times:
    Cities Start to Question an American Ideal: A House With a Yard on Every Lot

[​IMG]

Residential land zoned for:
    detached single-family homes: 96%

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't fit in either of those demographics. :)

xbhaskarx repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Los Angeles is basically built out the same, and I'm told a lot of their hipsters are from the San Fernando Valley.

San Jose may be suburban, but it's not "white bread." San Jose is one of the handful of most diverse cities in the country.

You know what's white-bread, yet filled with urban hipsters? Portland.

SalinasQuakesFan, bsman and Earthshaker repped this.
  25. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That place was awesome in '98 when the US played Costa Rica (they put sod over the shit plastic turf). A great location so I can only imagine it's better now.

I'm going to the 10/5 game... can't wait!

bsman repped this.